Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking via Home Mains electricy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

sounds like a quite useful product. Where can i buy it? Do i have to plug it into mains on the wall or will it work on a plug adaptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Hi all,

I have two Dlan 200 AV installed and working like trojans - my problem is I tried wireless and it is brutal.
    So I thought about getting a third DLan AVeasy Plug 89.99 in PC World (Ouch!) I have upgraded the firmware on the older ones but the newer one is not communicating.
    I have been onto devolo, but they have cut me short - just wondering if there was anyone out there that might have an idea.

The breakdown --> Router attached to phone line (broadband+digitial tv coming in through this) -> cable from router to first plug, 2nd plug 12 feet away working the digital tv feed from the router

I have tried the newer plug in a socket between the older two. It can see it - 100mbs - but "limited or no connectivity"...any ideas?

Any help grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Nope, just using DHCP with nothing special and never have to renew my IP manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

jessconr wrote: »
    sounds like a quite useful product. Where can i buy it? Do i have to plug it into mains on the wall or will it work on a plug adaptor?

Search elara, dabs etc for "Powerline"

Here's a link to a Dabs value kit, the one I have is by MSI.

A plug adaptor shouldn't be a problem, its when you're plugging it into a surge protector that there can be issues. That being said, I've got mine going through a surge protector without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

JDxtra wrote: »
    Nope, just using DHCP with nothing special and never have to renew my IP manually.

It must be the way i have the router set up then, balls!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

BPL things are transparent to IP so should not have any bearing...

Sounds like you have a DHCP lease/request time set to short on the router of in your network config.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is it fair to say these things are of no use if you want to stream media or play online on a Games Console then? Even more so if you live in a house with alot of applicances going at once?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is not fair , no!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

noodler wrote: »
    Is it fair to say these things are of no use if you want to stream media or play online on a Games Console then? Even more so if you live in a house with alot of applicances going at once?

Not at all.

They tend to work quite well for all of these things. Just bear in mind that if you plug them into an overloaded 6-way adapter then the extra noise can (depending on the devices) cause problems.

Dedicate a regular wall socket to them and you should have no problems. Far more reliable than wireless (But then I did have a full concrete wall between my router and me at the time...).

Right cool. I think I will look into one then. 80e does seem expensive.

Seems to be a few brands reccommended in the thread, can you guys stand by one in particular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ive used the Devolo 200Mbps units, more pricey than 80eur though.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

noodler wrote: »
    Right cool. I think I will look into one then. 80e does seem expensive.

Seems to be a few brands reccommended in the thread, can you guys stand by one in particular?
    Just don't buy anything by Silvercrest aka Lidl's Own.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Guys, sorry if this has been asked already, but I'm assuming that the two plugs need to be on the same ring circuit in order to use this type of networking?

My Dad has an office outside the house with a small network. His office phones are on ISDN (cos he needs two numbers) but the house is on PSTN, so my plan is to get DSL into the house with wireless, and then use this type of networking to provide broadband to the office. I don't know if the office has a separate ring circuit, but I suspect it does. It's definitely fed from the same consumer unit though.

My only other option is to run a a long Cat5 cable between the router in the house and the switch in the office. My only concern here is distance, but it can't be more than 100m. Using the powerlines would save a lot of hassle though.

I would have thought so (as in I would have thought they wouldn't work) but I couldn't say that with 100% certainty.

seamus wrote: »
    Guys, sorry if this has been asked already, but I'm assuming that the two plugs need to be on the same ring circuit in order to use this type of networking?

Not the same ring strictly speaking ( a house may well have 3 or 4 ring mains) but off a common fuseboard inside a single common meter !

The fuseboard itself is a sort of Hub, remember Hubs( not switches) do ya Seamus :p ??

I was only born in the 1980's, about the same time that hubs were at their peak :p

Thanks for the reply though. Are you 100% that that will work, even if the rings are connected to separate trip switches? Not that I doubt you :)

Hmm. Ideally I would want 2 for around 50e but I assume noone here would reccommend a set that cheap. (Only see anything that price on Ebay anyway).

One thing I will say Séamus is that I am not sure of distance limitations as in the 100m for Cat5 and Cat6 but they will do 30m if that is any help . Cheap ones will probably do less . I got solwise ones to work at 30m across multiple rings before , no problems .

You do not get the full speed as in 85mbits is likely around 50mbits or 60mbits instead but it beats wireless hands down for thruput and security.

And you do remember Hubs then , thats simply spiffing :D

Great stuff, cheers.

These ones here are good and that is a good price for them!

• Advertisement

Thanks. I will consider giving them a go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

seamus wrote: »
    My only other option is to run a a long Cat5 cable between the router in the house and the switch in the office. My only concern here is distance, but it can't be more than 100m. Using the powerlines would save a lot of hassle though.

FYI, Cat5 can be run over longer distances, it is just that the maximum speed can only be guaranteed per the spec up to 100m. Beyond 100m the speed you get decreases, how quickly it decreases depends on the quality and shielding of the Cat5 cable.

Cat5 will perform better then powerline over the same distance, even beyond 100m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Devolo are great plugs too, I've got 2 of the aveasy 200mbps ( I usually get 170mbps speed) models and they're fine (using them for VoIP), they only add 3ms in latency.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    These ones here are good and that is a good price for them!

Just bought a set of 3 there. Do you have them yourself SpongBob?

Only 2 :D

Cool. Nice having some feedback. Thanks again. The company are using parcelforce so might not take too long to deliver.

Advertisement