Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike for commute

Options
  • 08-08-2008 10:46am

:)

Looking for a bike for a 7 mile commute, 7 there and 7 back
    about 3 miles of this commute are on roads the rest on river and canal banks!!
    So dirt track but level and hard compact dirt.

I also do alot of hiking especially around the slieve blooms and would love a bike that would be able to do the commute and be able to the Slieve Blooms (mostly good dirt tracks, some soft bog and unsealed stone roads.

Suggestions please for the cycling n00b :D

Budget thinkin max 500 but would much much prefer to spend 300 or 400 (or less)
    Is my budget unrealistic?
    Oh and how much are those yokes to put gear over the rear wheel and how much is a basket :D
    so many questions :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

For the commuting side of it, the hybrid blorg links to in the second last post in this thread would seem to fit the bill.

For off-roading suspension may be needed, but consensus is it's not worth getting suspension unless you're buying a mid/high end bike, and to be honest for riding some gentle trails I'd say that hybrid would be fine, though consider the one I linked to that has suspension if you really want it, but for the little times you'll use the suspension and the little benefit it will add, I doubt it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Sounds like you want a cyclocross bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Verb wrote: »
    Sounds like you want a cyclocross bike.

man i'd love a reason to justify buying one of them, there class lookin!

why not go down the second hand route? you get a few hundred quid of a bike thats a year or so old. Drop into a few bike shops and let them know what your looking for and a lot of them will keep an eye out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I got a Giant Boulder for a similar commute 2 years ago, and it has held up reasonably well. See http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=20917 for current model, which is at the lower end of your budget. There are a few funny clanks coming from the drivetrain now, but I think the chain may need replacing. I'd stay away from a hybrid if you will be travelling over rough ground. The fat MTB tyres won't be the fastest option for on road, but do you really care about saving that minute or two on your commute?

The yokes to carry gear over the rear wheel are panniers, and you'll need to get a carrier to hold the panniers too. This is probably a better option than a basket at the front.

great info everybody! thanks a million! I have a bit of an idea now after all your comments
    before I hadnt a clue!!

• Advertisement

em sorry to bug ye all again but the info in this cycling forum is really useful - so i wanna pick your brains again!

so I walked this route today, was fairly muddy in places without gravel which was a fair bit
    maybe its just all the rain lately
    but i can keep along the canal alot longer than I previously thought so it will be about a mile and a half on roads then 5.5 miles on gravel and dirt mud tracks probably in winter time
    probably should get a full mountain bike?

**about to expose ignorance**

Will there really be that big of a difference between a hybrid and a mountain bike?
    What should I look for in a mountain bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cyclocross could be ideal for what you want, road combined with good quality track. If the trail is rougher maybe not.

If you are getting a mountain bike get a hard tail, e.g. front suspension only. If you can afford it get a fork with lock-out for the road.

A hybrid with wide tyres may still deal with good quality tracks.

Your budget is going to severely limit your options though, certainly cyclocross is out at that price unless you are lucky second-hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

I got a Giant Boulder for a similar commute 2 years ago, and it has held up reasonably well. See http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=20917 for current model, which is at the lower end of your budget.

The first bike I bought as an adult was a Giant Boulder - it was the non-disc 2004 model I think. I quickly ditched the knobbly tyres for some semi-slicks, and shortly after that ditched the whole bike for a road bike. But I suppose it served its purpose for a year or so and was responsible for my catching the cycling bug. Beware though that despite having the appearance of a mountain bike, the Boulder (as sold in Australia) has a sticker on the top tube saying "WARNING: This bicycle is not intended for off-road use." Interpret that as you see fit!

Advertisement