Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Last Word - Today FM

• 08-08-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Who is the fella standing in for Matt Cooper this week? He is terrible!! Some country fella. He hasnt a clue and has no research done.

And the way his pronounces his th's. It is all dis dat dese and dose

Awful radio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Poochie05

His name is Mick Clifford. I think he's a journalist. He usually reports from the courts. I don't mind his accent so much as his stilted style and how he cuts over the guests. Never thought I'd say this but come back Matt all is forgiven!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Oh I miss Matt...next year I will plan my holidays around Matt's so I don't have to listen to Mick! I know I know I can change stations.

Lol...just heard one guest call him Michael :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

michael clifford has been awfull filling in for matt cooper , i dont like the way he speaks and he has no charisma as such

ivan yates who has charisma has done a pretty good job over on newstalk this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭mountain

dedon wrote: »
    Who is the fella standing in for Matt Cooper this week? He is terrible!! Some country fella. He hasnt a clue and has no research done.

Awful radio

some country fella?
    rather than what? some city fella...

i enjoyed him to be honest, sometimes cooper can grate a lot, so the change was ok,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

dedon wrote: »

Awful radio

It's journalist Michael Clifford.

Whats with the 'country fella' nonsense. You obviously think he lacks the city sophistication of those from....Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I think he improved over the course of the week. Also, it was good not to have to listen to Matt Cooper! How the hell is he so popular?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

No worse than Kevin Myers replacing George Hook.
    Altough he was hilariously one sided in a debate with micheal o leary and ciaran cuffe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

For a short while, I thought Pat Spillane had landed the presenting gig :eek:

Is it me or are there really bad stand-in presenters on all stations this summer? There's some awful woman on Radio 1 instead of Ryan Tubridy this week, yer man on The Last Word, an ass-load of them on Newstalk....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Firetrap wrote: »
    For a short while, I thought Pat Spillane had landed the presenting gig :eek:

Is it me or are there really bad stand-in presenters on all stations this summer? There's some awful woman on Radio 1 instead of Ryan Tubridy this week, yer man on The Last Word, an ass-load of them on Newstalk....
    I thought it was that guy John (??) Spillane the singer who had filled in for Ian Dempsy a little while back. Didn't like him much on Ian's show either.
    mountain wrote: »
    some country fella?

i enjoyed him to be honest, sometimes cooper can grate a lot, so the change was ok,
    You'd swear being from the country was a disease or something!
    irish_bob wrote: »
    michael clifford has been awfull filling in for matt cooper , i dont like the way he speaks and he has no charisma as such

ivan yates who has charisma has done a pretty good job over on newstalk this week
    I wouldn't be a fan of Michael Clifford either, as with AM Kelly I dislike his voice, way of speaking and again think he has little or no charisma. I don't mind when Anton Savage fills in for Matt, he does a pretty decent job.

kizzyr wrote: »
    I don't mind when Anton Savage fills in for Matt, he does a pretty decent job.

Yeah. He's OK actually.

• Advertisement

kizzyr wrote: »
    I thought it was that guy John (??) Spillane the singer who had filled in for Ian Dempsy a little while back. Didn't like him much on Ian's show either.

You'd swear being from the country was a disease or something!

I wouldn't be a fan of Michael Clifford either, as with AM Kelly I dislike his voice, way of speaking and again think he has little or no charisma. I don't mind when Anton Savage fills in for Matt, he does a pretty decent job.

i like anton savage , has a great voice and i like his mum too even though shes in here 60,s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Matt Cooper is renowned for his th's also.

Matt Cooper is renowned for his th's also.
    Not to mention his Sah-urdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

irish_bob wrote: »

Ivan is much better as a guest commentator rather than a presenter. I thought he done a lot of ah ah ah and stuttering on his questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

mountain wrote: »
    some country fella?

It was just an easy way to describe him really. Sure I am from the country myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

No worse than Kevin Myers replacing George Hook.
    Altough he was hilariously one sided in a debate with micheal o leary and ciaran cuffe.

Myers was hard to listen to alright, but then again so is Hookie :rolleyes:

I like Mick Clifford, given a bit more time on the radio he could do a good job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I actually liked Mick Clifford on last week's show. He reminded me of John Spillane too, kept expecting him to break out in Dunnes Stores Girl at any minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Was anybody listening to this yesterday and the two guys talking about climate change, it was the funniest argument I have heard in quiet some time.

token56 wrote: »
    Was anybody listening to this yesterday and the two guys talking about climate change, it was the funniest argument I have heard in quiet some time.

the climate change sceptic and al gore opposite had his ass handed to him on a plate
    he would have been better going on fox news where a warm reception would have been assured

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Anton Savage was better that Cooper IMO. Will have to find something else to listen to next week. Can't be having that arrogance coupled with an inability to pronounce the word Guardian and in the newspaper.

• Advertisement

mickd wrote: »
    Anton Savage was better that Cooper IMO. Will have to find something else to listen to next week. Can't be having that arrogance coupled with an inability to pronounce the word Guardian and in the newspaper.

anton savage,s best trait is his voice where as its matt cooper,s worst

there both good but i would be quite content if savage was the permanent host

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anybody listen to the Last Word last night when they were talking about same sex friends going away on holiday together and the inevitable rows that occur?

Kinda interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

IMO Matt Cooper is an absolute legend. Who else asks our politicians the questions they least want to be asked and doesn't let them away with standard issue responses. Given that Today FM has increased it's listenership, those clowns have no option but to go on his show. I'd say they all crap themselves when asked to appear. Keep it up Matt, we're still being screwed by those gobsheens but at least you can feel them squirming through the airwaves.

Not that it'll change them though:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

I like Matt, but I cannot stand that woman from Hot Press who does the movie slot.

She is terrible for radio; her constant repeating of "I I I I I", "it's it's it's it's", "and and and", "yeah no", "like like like", "like I mean", etc., makes me change the station.

earwicker wrote: »
    I like Matt, but I cannot stand that woman from Hot Press who does the movie slot.

She is terrible for radio; her constant repeating of "I I I I I", "it's it's it's it's", "and and and", "yeah no", "like like like", "like I mean", etc. make me change stations.
    I really didn't notice her until Gift Grub did a sketch on it and had them and Stuart Clarke also, it was hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

robo wrote: »
    I really didn't notice her until Gift Grub did a sketch on it and had them and Stuart Clarke also, it was hilarious!

You don't happen to know if there's a link to that?

earwicker wrote: »
    You don't happen to know if there's a link to that?
    I have gone through the podcasts and can't find it :confused: Am sorry but defo heard it cos after that I can't listen to the movie review anymore :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Anton Savage tearing strips out of that weasel Dan Boyle was the best bit of the Last Word in ages. The prick just couldnt slime his way out.

Advertisement