Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitting CD Player in BMW 318 ci

Options
  • 08-08-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Folks,

Has anyone done this, is there much too it?

What exactly do you need, to change Cd Player?

Was looking at this Website,

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/Bmw/3_series.htm

I'll obviously have to get the BMW Facia adaptor when i have fitted new CD Player.

Is there anything else i'll need

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you could get a OEM changer for the boot on ebay or similar and connect it up like a factory fit. then you control through the steering wheel etc etc and looks alot better than when a standard din radio is slipped into the BMW oversized slot imo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id go with the OEM changer as said above, i have one and its much cleaner looking. You can pick up the full system on Ebay for cheap. Even the Harmon Karmon ones are going for a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

listermint wrote: »
    Even the Harmon Karmon ones are going for a steal.

Fitting Harmon Kardon involves changing all the speakers, the wiring, the amp and a few other bits... they go relatively cheap because they're a pain to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kdevitt wrote: »
    Fitting Harmon Kardon involves changing all the speakers, the wiring, the amp and a few other bits... they go relatively cheap because they're a pain to fit.

Get involved :D . Thats the point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Folks,

Has anyone done this, is there much too it?

What exactly do you need, to change Cd Player?

Was looking at this Website,

I'll obviously have to get the BMW Facia adaptor when i have fitted new CD Player.

Is there anything else i'll need

Thanks
    Rob

You could Ebay a replacement BMW head unit with a CD player slot (i'm guessing you have one with the cassette player) it's litterally a simple few screws and a direct swap.

Also as was mentioned earlier you can ebay a 6 disk changer for next to nothing and fit it your self in 5 mins.

But.... your best option of them all is to ebay an Ipod adaptor for the car something like this

or a dension Ice link, I have one in the car and its a far superior solution to the cd changer one (presuming you have an Ipod of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Just whatever you do, don't replace the sleek dash BMW head unit with a big ugly thing that only fits 3/4 the gap..! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭robbie2003ie

cianclarke wrote: »
    Just whatever you do, don't replace the sleek dash BMW head unit with a big ugly thing that only fits 3/4 the gap..! :D

Hi

You can get a Fascia Adaptors, which basically fills in the gap. See following link

I wanted to get new head unit and fit the Fascia Adaptor as well.
    I think it would look good.

Is it easy enough getting the old Tape player out of the BM

Thanks for the replys
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Seriously don't do it - you'll make your bmw look like shyte if it's an e46 model, it won't look bad at all if it's the e36 model up to 1999 i think.

What year is it?

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭robbie2003ie

digiking wrote: »
    Seriously don't do it - you'll make your bmw look like shyte if it's an e46 model, it won't look bad at all if it's the e36 model up to 1999 i think.

What year is it?

Alan

Hey ya alan,

Thanks for the reply

Its a 02 model.

Really?, For some reason i don't think it will? What about a Headunit come DVD Player? :-)

I suppose i could just pick up a BMW CD Player.

Another thing i've notice my Fm Transmitter worked fine in my old car but when i use it in the BM, it won't pick up the channel?

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

If you want to do sat nav, dvd etc, I'd urge you to go towards the oem kit, I know someone who retrofitted it and it came out really well, Doing this could cost quite a bit but if you keep an eye out on ebay you could get most of the parts needed cheapish.

As regards your fm transmitter not working properly, It's probably due to the fact that the aerial is in the rear window and all the bmw electronics are shielded from interference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Have to agree with the other on this - I think anything but the OEM radios looks awful in the BMW (or most cars). There is nothing like an aftermarket radio / facia adaptor to chav up the interior of a car. Well there are loads of things actually, but these are near the top of my list :P

I have an 02 318ci myself - check is yours prepped for a CD changer in the boot (not sure if this was standard) - this would be a far more simple and attractive CD option.

IMO the best solution is to fit the iPod adaptor. CD's are going the way of the cassette these days... they clutter up your car, get scratched easily in the car and have to be changed in and out all the time. MP3 in the car is far superior - none of these problems plus you have playlists, podcasts, etc.

Certainly worth considering...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Hi

You can get a Fascia Adaptors, which basically fills in the gap. See following link

Is it easy enough getting the old Tape player out of the BM

Thanks for the replys
    Rob

I'm with everybody else here, even with an adapter it'll look terrible!
    Buy an OEM BMW cd player kit from eBay, a boot changer, anything but a third party unit! In most other cars it wouldn't be so bad, but the E46 dash is ruined by third party headunits!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Really?, For some reason i don't think it will? What about a Headunit come DVD Player? :-)
    I cringed when I read this.:)

Advertisement