Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car tax expired, car for sale.

Options
  • 08-08-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I am selling my old BMW and the tax has expired. The car is not being used as I have my new car, it is insured and sitting in the driveway. Do I have to keep it taxed or can a buyer buy it untaxed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

A buyer can buy it untaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Having the car taxed is a good selling point. Especially considering the times at the moment, you're better off getting it taxed as it'll improve your chances of selling it a lot.
    There's nothing illegal about it - However, it would be illegal for the buyer to drive home in it untaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You can get a form stating the car been off the road that way you or if someone buys it won't need to pay the back tax on the car. I am 99% that is how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the car is off the road and not in use then legally it shouldn't need to be taxed afaik. However you could be very unlucky and pulled by a garda while on a test drive with a potential buyer.

As others have said taxing it for at least 3 months will help sell it especially in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If someone buys it they won't have to pay the back tax anyway as that was accrued under the previous owner's name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stephen wrote: »
    If someone buys it they won't have to pay the back tax anyway as that was accrued under the previous owner's name.

Indeed. The new buyer has to pay tax from the 1st day of the month that he / she bought the car. So if they bought the car on August 31st, they need to pay tax from August 1st. No matter how long the car has been out of tax

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. The new buyer has to pay tax from the 1st day of the month that he / she bought the car. So if they bought the car on August 31st, they need to pay tax from August 1st. No matter how long the car has been out of tax

Not true. They could of bought the car and kept it of the road for a week or so do to any work the car needed.

Here's the relevant form, needs to be signed by the guards. If the OP wants to fill it out, and tax it for the next buyer, the tax can be obtains straight away. If he lets it to the new over, they have to wait until it's in their name.
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Not true. They could of bought the car and kept it of the road for a week or so do to any work the car needed.

Here's the relevant form, needs to be signed by the guards. If the OP wants to fill it out, and tax it for the next buyer, the tax can be obtains straight away. If he lets it to the new over, they have to wait until it's in their name.
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

Not true at all, i got a form stating the car was off the road from X day to Y day. The one inside in the tax office asked me when i bought the car, she ripped up the "off the road" form and threw it in the bin and taxed it from the first day of the month of purchase.

They don't really care if it was taxed or not before you owned it.

No point on taxing a car that you are not driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

craichoe wrote: »
    Not true at all, i got a form stating the car was off the road from X day to Y day. The one inside in the tax office asked me when i bought the car, she ripped up the "off the road" form and threw it in the bin and taxed it from the first day of the month of purchase.

They don't really care if it was taxed or not before you owned it.

No point on taxing a car that you are not driving.

I get were ur coming from, but if u bought a car and had it of the road for two months, why would u have to back date the tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I get were ur coming from, but if u bought a car and had it of the road for two months, why would u have to back date the tax?

I think were both saying the same thing, you only tax it or say it was "off the road" for from the date you own it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement