Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about tiling

Options
  • 08-08-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

A quick question - we have old ceramic floor tiles that we want to replace - is it difficult to remove the old ones? Is there any magic formula?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A powerful SDS drill, on chissel action will make short work of it.
    Wear appropiate safety gear!

I've heard of people tiling over ceramic tiles - perfect surface to receive tiles.
    However, this could affect door heights etc, so probably best to remove the old floor tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

RKQ wrote: »
    A powerful SDS drill, on chissel action will make short work of it.
    Wear appropiate safety gear!

I've heard of people tiling over ceramic tiles - perfect surface to receive tiles.
    However, this could affect door heights etc, so probably best to remove the old floor tiles.

And a shed load of elbow grease:(

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

Hire out a tiler lifter. Do a search or look up hss.ie i'm sure they would be on it. Get the right machine and it will save you time and effort. You can't beat having the right tools for the right job.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

http://www.hss.com/g/2159/Floor-Tile-Removal-Kit.html

Frankly, if you know anyone with a kango hammer you can borrow, I wouldn't bother renting that thing. It actually just seems to be a kango with an extra wide blade.
    I removed the tiles from the kitchen floor in my mother's house a few weeks ago, and it didn't take more than a few hours (and her tiles were adhered directly to a concrete floor, rather than to ply).

BTW, no magic formula, although sometimes you get lucky and they just pop up if the adhesive was not great in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Nearly all good tilers lay down thin plywood to tile to. If you can get under that sheeting ,you should be able to wedge up the tiles.
    Or what was said about a kango ,altough a pinch bar and a hammer can lift tiles aswell.

I use one of these for all sorts of lifting ,great yoke.
    3253561555152_001c_v001_zp?&$230x230_generic$

• Advertisement
Advertisement