Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Leave for ACCA.

• 08-08-2008 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Just wondering what study leave your employer is obligated to give you when studying for ACCA exams?

Plus, I'm working in a CPA practice. Is it still possible for me to take the ACCA exams? I know the boss is both ACCA and CPA qualified and there are a mixture of ACA and non qualified staff working here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

It depends on the employer really. Most places would give one week study leave per exam and the day of the exam itself. This is usually stated within a contract if one was signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Trainee_Account

I thought there was a specified amount of time they must give you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

I thought there was a specified amount of time they must give you?

Employers don't have any obligation to give you any study leave. They are only obliged to pay you and not kill you whilst you're working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭onehorse

Its the Chartered Students (ACA) who are entitled to set study leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If your employer is an approved ACCA employer then there are set holidays, but unless he is an approved employer then there is no obligation.

However, in practice (literaly in this case), you should get 3-5 days study leave per each exam. Otherwise find another practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

It is open to each employer / employee to agree. A week per subject and the day of the exams is normal in practice. In industry it can be as low as one day per subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 valmul

I work in one of the big 4 firms and am currently doing ACCA (the vast majority do ACA), and I get three days per exam plus the day of the exam... it seems that the majority of people that i know doing the exams get at least that much study leave

It's a bit inequitable as colleagues who are currently off on FAE leave get in excess of 10 weeks leave but what can you do?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Then in industry we make do with one day study leave plus one day for the exam. Well in my first job we got max 5 days study/exam leave in the year, it didn't matter how many exams you were doing!

Advertisement