Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] Sarkozy has a bright idea (another one)

Options
  • 08-08-2008 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

http://euobserver.com/18/26587
    French president Nicolas Sarkozy is considering proposals that countries of "similar culture and language circle" should share a commissioner in the new model European Commission, according to German daily Die Welt, quoting high-level diplomatic "sources."

The question has arisen following Ireland's rejection of the Lisbon Treaty in June, with work now ongoing behind the scenes to solve practical problems, such as the number of commissioners in the new Brussels secreteriat to take office in November 2009.

Under the current Nice Treaty the commission must include a national of each member state, but the treaty also says that when the union consists of 27 countries the "commission shall be less than the number of member states."

With the accession of Romania and Bulgaria the European Union has reached the magic number of 27 member states, and the Nice Treaty foresees a rotation system for commissioners to kick in "based on the principle of equality" and provided member states agree "unanimously."

If the Lisbon Treaty is put in place after a potential second Irish referendum, the number of commissioners would automatically be reduced to two-thirds of member states from 2014. Based on the current 27 member states, this would result in nine EU countries no longer having a national representative in the union's engine room.

Reaching agreement on a new system will be a hard nut to crack, as member states zealously guard their influence in the legislative body of the European Union.

The French idea proposes that countries which share a common cultural heritage, such as Germany and Austria, Great Britain and Ireland or the Benelux countries could share a common commissioner, the German newspaper reports.

Austrian foreign minister Ursula Plassnik came out as the first with a negative reaction, telling Austrian press that "It can not be a serious French proposal."

"The idea of combi-commissioners or half-half commissioners is not even a bad summer joke," she said.

Talk about making life difficult for the government, it'll never fly obviously.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Aaaarrrgggghhhhh!
    Based on the current 27 member states, this would result in nine EU countries no longer having a national representative in the union's engine room.

They are not a national representative! This really pisses me off. No wonder there was so much confusion around the Treaty! The MEPs and Ministers are the national representatives.

As for the idea, I have a hard time believeing that anyone could come up with that as a serious solution. Sarkozy has been quoted as saying a number of things at this stage, many of which he has denied, and I'm beginning to wonder if someone out there is just taking the mickey out of him. I certainly hope he never suggested that idea! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

molloyjh wrote: »
    Aaaarrrgggghhhhh!

They are not a national representative! This really pisses me off. No wonder there was so much confusion around the Treaty! The MEPs and Ministers are the national representatives.

It seems completely impossible to eradicate that notion. Even when one points out the relevant bits in the treaties, demonstrates Commissioners not acting in their national interests, people just smile cleverly up their sleeves and say "oh sure - that's the theory".

The idea that the Commission is the engine-room, however, is not quite as stupid. It's certainly not the bridge any more.
    As for the idea, I have a hard time believeing that anyone could come up with that as a serious solution. Sarkozy has been quoted as saying a number of things at this stage, many of which he has denied, and I'm beginning to wonder if someone out there is just taking the mickey out of him. I certainly hope he never suggested that idea! :(

Historically, though, the French are quite mad by non-French standards. French leaders tend, if anything, to be even madder.

Sarkozm - the making of extremely silly remarks intended to be taken seriously.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It seems completely impossible to eradicate that notion. Even when one points out the relevant bits in the treaties, demonstrates Commissioners not acting in their national interests, people just smile cleverly up their sleeves and say "oh sure - that's the theory".

But sure its no wonder that this notion exists when the media perpetuate it. I don't mind individuals not understanding it so much, but when the likes of the euobserver, who's stated aim is to keep people "informed" about whats happening in the EU, start to add fuel to the fire of mis-understanding you know its a bad sign.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Sarkozm - the making of extremely silly remarks intended to be taken seriously.

:D I like it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Aaaarrrgggghhhhh!

i don't think the euobservers words state that the commissioners are national reps, just that they are seen like that, and certainly could not be if there is less then 27

i don't think the euobservers words state that the commissioners are national reps, just that they are seen like that, and certainly could not be if there is less then 27

If so it was a woefully written point. However it does say that the reduction of the Commission will mean less national representatives so I'm not sure how else people are meant to take it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement