Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi!!!

Options
  • 08-08-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Sligo has sushi!! Saw it in the Champion today (yeah I know I read it two days late) that the japanese cafe that's just opened up next to sakura in the Stephen Street carpark lane is serving tempura & sushi.

Guys I am ridiculously excited. Who wants to come with me for lunch tomorrow?? If you've never had sushi before it'd be an opportunity to go with someone who knows what to get :D (Not that I'm some major expert foodie or anything, but I used to have sushi quite regularly in Montreal)

review to come ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Ha! In your face common proletariat boards with your low-rent 'Boards Beers'!

Sligo Board, the first to have 'Boards Sushi'!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

lol!

Well, I for one, love the irony of the fact that just as I'm leaving, all sorts of things I wanted in Sligo are opening....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I had tuna for the first time in about 20 years yesterday, does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

We LOVE sushi!!! When did it open? We learned to make it ourselves - that said, I make the rice and Mr T does the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Heehe Mr. T.

• Advertisement

Mrs.T wrote: »
    When did it open?

I'd noticed it open about a month ago and I did wonder if they had sushi (or bubble tea) but I was just passing by and didn't stop to inquire.

So when I saw the ad in the champion saying sushi.... well...!

You want to come down tomorrow for lunch Mr & Mrs T? :D

Xiney wrote: »
    I'd noticed it open about a month ago and I did wonder if they had sushi (or bubble tea) but I was just passing by and didn't stop to inquire.

So when I saw the ad in the champion saying sushi.... well...!

You want to come down tomorrow for lunch Mr & Mrs T? :D

I wish! I have a lunch date already, unfortunately. If anything changes, I'll be right back to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

lol!

Well, I for one, love the irony of the fact that just as I'm leaving, all sorts of things I wanted in Sligo are opening....

I was thinking the same thing...I do want to try some sushi and will be in town tomorrow? Should we invite Sue?? (*ssh* lets not tell her!)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mmm, not sure if it would be my thing, on one hand, wouldn't mind trying it, on the other hand, really not sure, would be quite aprehensive about it

irish-stew wrote: »
    mmm, not sure if it would be my thing, on one hand, wouldn't mind trying it, on the other hand, really not sure, would be quite aprehensive about it

Come and try it, at least if you don't like it you can say you tried.

And like I said, I'll be able to advise you along the way... n00b's guide to sushi if you will :D

They do have tempura as well which is a fancy way of saying "we can deep fry anything, because we're japanese"

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same thing...I do want to try some sushi and will be in town tomorrow? Should we invite Sue?? (*ssh* lets not tell her!)

Yeah!

And hey, when are you gonna start looking for apts in Galway? I'm heading down next wednesday & thursday.

Mrs.T wrote: »
    I wish! I have a lunch date already, unfortunately. If anything changes, I'll be right back to you!

definitely, you've got my mobile anyway :D

Yeah! And hey, when are you gonna start looking for apts in Galway? I'm heading down next wednesday & thursday.
    eh lolz i signed the lease tuesday.Are you or yeatscounty going to uni?Cause you are going to be competing with students for apartments for the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

RE: Sushi

I'm afraid I'm off the "if it hasn't been lovingly wrapped in Mr Birdseyes crumbs" I'm wary. I know... V. common... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Xiney, if I were you, I would really stress the fact that you and YC are not students (no offence students), you will be looking for a longer lease and are generally less of a liability (again, sorry students!) and have a few printed references, as well as contact details from previous landlords if possible.

eh lolz i signed the lease tuesday.Are you or yeatscounty going to uni?Cause you are going to be competing with students for apartments for the next month.

Yeah, I figured, but I'm actually pretty sure I'll be taking sueme's advice.

We are young professionals! Very desireable demographic for landlords I think.

I'm going to bring a reference from my boss here in Sligo, I'm going to get John to either get a reference from his boss in Galway or photocopy parts of his contract, and I'll get a reference off our landlady here.

Yeah, I figured, but I'm actually pretty sure I'll be taking sueme's advice. We are young professionals! Very desireable demographic for landlords I think. I'm going to bring a reference from my boss here in Sligo, I'm going to get John to either get a reference from his boss in Galway or photocopy parts of his contract, and I'll get a reference off our landlady here.
    well i'm not a smelly ordinary student,i'm a postgrad! :D Im in the young professionals renting group,tbh its going to be crazy hectic for the next month no matter who you are,although some areas will be busier than others.There was a huge queue outside the advertisers office yesterday.

Xiney, Are you back yet? How was it? I'm sooo dying to know how it went? When we go I'll text you, if we make it before end of August..... there is a Japanes restaurant in Galway I think?

yep, we went at 2pm and it was quite good!

I had the Tootsy Maki Roll (I think that's what it was called) with avocado and crab stick rolled in tempura. John had a giant bowl of noodles with spicy beef.

FYI, they don't have any sashimi (raw fish etc) because they figure it's probably not going to be popular in Sligo for at least a few years. Everything is cooked or veggie, for those of you who are apprehensive.

Full review (with photos!) to come when I get home from work... expect it around midnight. (or else tomorrow morning if I'm wrecked...)

Right, here's the review:

Decor: 4/5
    It's lovely. They've done a really good job in a small space. Lose a point for the cheesy "kimono" uniform.

Value: 4.5/5
    We were speaking to the owner and she was telling us that a lot of ingredients have to be imported since there's no current importer of japanese food in Ireland. Crazy. So the prices are pretty good, considering. See menu.

Food: 4/5
    Really very good - not too adventurous, and not as fancy as what I'd come to enjoy in Montreal, but hey, this is Sligo's first Sushi place. I'll take what I can get! Sushi was well wrapped and tasty, John's bowl of noodles looked delicious and he got a fair whack of them too.

This place is a winner - sushi is way healthier than anything else I could have picked up for lunch in Sligo. There isn't too much selection, but they're just starting out. It seems like a very good introduction to Sushi and japanese food for Sligo. I really hope they do well!

Open 10 - 5pm Mon-Sat (Closed Sunday)

image027kp0.th.jpg image055ij9.th.jpg image057jc1.th.jpg image059yh1.th.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi Xiney

I see you had a great time in there. It is terrfific now that Sligo has a sushi restaurent.I almost went into a sushi bar in Vienna last year until I saw the price. Ran away very quickly, I was mortified. Definitely going to go to Sligo's own sushi restaurent. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bergdorf

up in dublin, but go home every few weeks, where is this sushi restaurant? must check it out when I'm home again

It's on the Stephen Street Carpark lane next to Sakura on the side near the River.

Open from 10am to 5pm, closed Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bergdorf

ah ya I know where it is now, ever since Lost in Translation I've always wanted to try Japanese food and the whole saki stuff, (alcohol drink?)even though I'm a terrible picky eater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

bergdorf wrote: »
    the whole saki stuff, (alcohol drink?)

Rice Wine!

http://www.wine-making-guides.com/rice_saki_wine.html
    the internet is great;)

What a great review!! I can't wait to try it out! I used to be a picky eater but now love to try new food. I'd say give it a shot!

Xiney,

What kind of ball park price would one expect to pay for lunch?

dakar wrote: »
    Xiney,

What kind of ball park price would one expect to pay for lunch?

Well, I posted a photo of the menu so you can have a look at the prices yourself :D

The sushi rolls are 8 pcs, certainly more bang for your buck than the 2 pcs for 4.50. The noodles are around 11 euro but you get a HUGE bowl of them.

Well, I posted a photo of the menu so you can have a look at the prices yourself :D

Thanks Xiney, was browsing on my phone so could only get a low res pic and couldn't make anything out! Back at 'work';) now so got a better look.

• Advertisement

There is also Sushi in the market in Galway and they have wee bottles of wasabi - very cute!

Advertisement