Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new commercial clay pigeon range

Options
  • 08-08-2008 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

hi all - looking for some help and advice. . . i say some, i mean alot!

I am looking at setting up a new clay pigeon shooting facility in north connaught - i have the site picked out and am in the process of sorting planning e.c.t

My main question is about qualifications of instructors - what qualifications (if any) does an instructor need to take a group around a sprorting clay pigeon shoot (e.g. groups of stag parties e.c.t) I was recently at a facility in England and all they need is a shotgun licsence and insurance. . .

The set up is looking to have at least 10 traps so i will hopefully need a minimum of 10 instructors at busy times. . .

all help gratefully recieved. . .

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

My main question is about qualifications of instructors - what qualifications (if any) does an instructor need to take a group around a sprorting clay pigeon shoot (e.g. groups of stag parties e.c.t) I was recently at a facility in England and all they need is a shotgun licsence and insurance. . .
    The set up is looking to have at least 10 traps so i will hopefully need a minimum of 10 instructors at busy times. . .all help gratefully recieved. . .

In law probably none!
    But does it make sense to allow someone not qualified to instruct take a group of people out on a range, many of whom probably don't know which end of a gun is which? It's only relatively recently that we have a pool of qualified instructors/coaches in Ireland. In becoming qualified they spent a lot of time and effort in dealing with safety issues which must be your first priority in dealing with inexperienced groups. I say groups because they tend to have a different dynamic than one to one instruction.

You also mention insurance - the qualified coaches here and in the UK have their own seperate coaching insurance which covers both themselves and the students. Most would also have "coaching or club guns" which are allowed to be used by non licence holders.

Apart from all that, the coaches are trained to actually instruct a complete beginner who knows nothing about shooting. They can spot the various faults, explain why it's happening and offer a remedy.

If you want to meet some coaches, the ICPSA is holding two open days next month - 27th & 28th September in Ashbourne and Ballinasloe shooting grounds. There will be a number of coaches in attendance on both days giving free coaching to beginners and more experienced shots.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your venture. The country is crying out for more shooting facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 danxtremeclean

thanks a million P&B - don't get me wrong, i intend to have all of the instructors trained and qualified if possible.

Am i right in assuming that once a gun club is set up they can hold club guns (providing the local gardi are happy with the security aspect)?

And last question, for the moment, have you ever seen or used the Promatic Huntsman trailer? Am pricing them at the minute and they seem a much more viable and adaptable option to individual traps (also potential for a mobile clay shoot) they are a trailer with three mounted, fully adjustable and remote controlled traps. . .

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Just saw your post.
    Best of luck with your venture.
    Keep us posted with regard to your progress. Love to pay a visit when your up and running.
    Regards

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Am i right in assuming that once a gun club is set up they can hold club guns (providing the local gardi are happy with the security aspect)?

I'm not sure about a club holding a gun - I'd imagine it would have to be an individual rather then a club.
    And last question, for the moment, have you ever seen or used the Promatic Huntsman trailer? Am pricing them at the minute and they seem a much more viable and adaptable option to individual traps (also potential for a mobile clay shoot) they are a trailer with three mounted, fully adjustable and remote controlled traps. . .

thanks again

I've seen the brochure and John Delaney is the agent.
    Delaney Commercials in Naas.
    He actually has one in stock AFAIK and I think its around €10k - the one he has I think is bigger and has about 5 traps on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fre

My interpretation would be that the company could own the firearms, each of the instructors would need a licence for those firearms they intend to use, a non-licenced person may use a firearm in the presence of a person licenced for that firearm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Clubs can hold firearms under authorisations; that's how the college clubs do it. It's a system with limitations though - it means that a good relationship with the local super is a necessity, it requires removal orders to go anywhere for a match with them, and so on. Mind you, the college clubs have managed for decades....

fre wrote: »
    My interpretation would be that the company could own the firearms, each of the instructors would need a licence for those firearms they intend to use, a non-licenced person may use a firearm in the presence of a person licenced for that firearm.
    There's no need so long as they're on an authorised range. Once that's taken care of, anyone can fire any firearm. Club rules and the owner permitting, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm not sure that all clubs require removal orders. In fact, Rathdrum don't, according to the chairman. As far as I know, it's connected to the fact that Trinity are an RFD, and that's why a removal order is needed.

Could well be IWM - the authorisations seem to be totally lacking in consistency in terms of requirements and rules. They're effectively all independent agreements between clubs and local supers.

Advertisement