Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cineworld Unlimited Card

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jahalpin wrote: »
    As for not being able to book over the phone anymore, while it was handy, it's not the end of the world that they took the option away.

For me it is a big deal, in the last three months I've been to this cinema multiple times, but I haven't been able to use the card once, because my friends normally want to go in the first three days of the release of a movie and mostly you have to book in advance in order to get a seat.

So because of this I'm going to cancel the card. It is very short sighted by Cineworld, not only will they lose €20 per month from me, but all the tickets and food my 4 to 5 friends usually buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

bk wrote: »
    For me it is a big deal, in the last three months I've been to this cinema multiple times, but I haven't been able to use the card once, because my friends normally want to go in the first three days of the release of a movie and mostly you have to book in advance in order to get a seat.

So because of this I'm going to cancel the card. It is very short sighted by Cineworld, not only will they lose €20 per month from me, but all the tickets and food my 4 to 5 friends usually buy.

It's at least a year, if not 2, since Cineworld took the phone option away. As for going in the first 3 days of a films release, there's normally no problem getting a seat if you turn up early enough, you can book seats on the day of the show from the time the cinema opens. You could never book seats with the card over the phone more than 1 day in advance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

bk wrote: »
    I have the Irish version. I'm planning to cancel it, the unlimited card is far less value then it use to be

I've had my unlimited card for more than three years and I'm getting a bit unhappy with them too. It's like Ryanair - if you're prepared to be flexible and follow their rules, it's great value. If you want to plan your cinema trip (to make sure you get tickets, to make sure you're in a particular screen or to go in a group), it's far too awkward.

They're gradually making it harder to use each year. If I went to the cinema at the last minute and saw a long queue, I could book on the phone on then walk right past the queue saving me time and them work. Now I just don't bother so I don't spend any money in the bar or the shop.
    jahalpin wrote: »
    As for going in the first 3 days of a films release, there's normally no problem getting a seat if you turn up early enough, you can book seats on the day of the show from the time the cinema opens.

I presume you're a student or work somewhere near the cinema? For the rest of us who can't get there till 7pm, it's far too late to book tickets on a Friday and I'm far too lazy to trek into town on Saturday morning so I can see a film with friends on Saturday night. Yes it's a whinge but if they lose my custom, it's money lost for them. If I'm going with friends, we'll just go to Omni which is much closer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

markpb wrote: »
    I presume you're a student or work somewhere near the cinema? For the rest of us who can't get there till 7pm, it's far too late to book tickets on a Friday and I'm far too lazy to trek into town on Saturday morning so I can see a film with friends on Saturday night. Yes it's a whinge but if they lose my custom, it's money lost for them. If I'm going with friends, we'll just go to Omni which is much closer.

That is exactly the same for me and exactly how I fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

well, they supposedly got rid of the phone booking for unlimited card holders because it was too expensive to run, which is bemusing seeing as it was an automated process.
    maybe if we all wrote and requested for it to come back?

does anyone know if it's just ireland you can't book over the phone with, or is all the cineworld branches?

• Advertisement

the corpo wrote: »
    well, they supposedly got rid of the phone booking for unlimited card holders because it was too expensive to run, which is bemusing seeing as it was an automated process.
    maybe if we all wrote and requested for it to come back?

That seems like a BS excuse to me, they continue to take phone bookings for all other type of tickets.

Personally I'd be happy to pay the 40c booking free per ticket on unlimited tickets, if they allowed booking over phone or even better, the internet.

I think all of us writing to Cineworld at the same time would be a great idea.

I'm going to write a letter to both of these address:

By post:

Cineworld Dublin
    Parnell St
    Dublin 1

Head Office:

Cineworld CINEMAS
    Power Road Studios
    Power Road
    Chiswick
    London W4 5PY
    UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I notice at the weekend they had a note up saying something like that customers should note that The Dark Knight was not available for free bookings (I cant remember the exact phrasing). Wonder was this for unlimited users or something else...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Drakar wrote: »
    I notice at the weekend they had a note up saying something like that customers should note that The Dark Knight was not available for free bookings (I cant remember the exact phrasing). Wonder was this for unlimited users or something else...

Went to Dark Knight on Saturday with the unlimited card .. no problems

Drakar wrote: »

Free list suspended.

I think it means anyone with comp passes, discount vouchers, staff tickets, etc won't be allowed to exchange them for a valid ticket. Most cinemas operate a policy like that over the first weekend of a big release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Thats the chappie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

This is great. I cancelled the Irish unlimited cards for myself and my girlfriend since we just weren't going often enough to warrant paying the newly increased fees.
    Seeing this thread, and after checking out the T&C's of the UK card, it seems valid to sign up for that. This would save us almost €120 a year together, which tips it from not-worth-it to worth-it status :)

Note that the £11.99 UK card is directly equivalent to the €19.99 Irish card (which is just overpriced as is the custom in this country - e.g. the recent increase of 'registration' charges for migrants from €100 to €150 potentially more than once per year)
    From the UK page:
    "*£11.99 excludes London West End Cinemas: Shaftesbury Avenue, Haymarket, Fulham and Chelsea."
    And the Irish page:
    "€19.99 excludes London West End Cinemas: Shaftesbury Avenue , Haymarket, Fulham and Chelsea."

So it's exactly the same in all respects, except that the Irish card is now 33% more expensive - a rip-off-Ireland-tax if you will. :pac:

Is it easy enough to cancel your membership? What exactly do you have to do?

I signed up 2 months ago now, but I think (actually, no.. I'm certain!) that I'd prefer to pay 15 a month instead of 20.

Is it easy enough to cancel your membership? What exactly do you have to do?

I signed up 2 months ago now, but I think (actually, no.. I'm certain!) that I'd prefer to pay 15 a month instead of 20.

You signed up to a 12 month contract, you can't drop it until the end of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Won't use it myself, but nice find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

You signed up to a 12 month contract, you can't drop it until the end of the contract.

Or you could empty your bank account till they cancel it 2 weeks after realizing you didn't pay.. this is what happened with me when they realized they had the wrong billing details, never cared to inform me either :rolleyes:

That's not really the case. You can in some circumstances terminate the contract, but you'd be expected to do it on their terms. I was going to terminate one of the cards two or three months into the contract and was given a grudging go-ahead via e-mail, with them asking me to send a formal request before they'd make it final. However, I decided not to, and ended up cancelling when the year had run its course.
    Then, because I didn't give them a month's notice they kept it on another month (at the new higher rate), but this is pretty normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

what reason did you give them?

i'd like to cancel mine and reorder using uk option

ronano wrote: »
    what reason did you give them?
    Well, my girlfriend was pretty pregnant, and pointed out that she wasn't going to be up for a lot of cinema visits for a while... and then when the baby came, we were royally screwed (and of course... blessed, and so forth) :pac:
    Can't remember if I actually told them that; I just said due to personal issues we really wouldn't be able to use the cards properly. They accepted it, but weren't exactly bursting with joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Should i cancel and sign up again :D

The cards great value really, i go at least 1x a week and very often a lot more.

Not being able to book in advance is a little disappointing but i can live with it, just buy your ticket at lunch or during the day for the evening show.

jozi wrote: »
    Not being able to book in advance is a little disappointing but i can live with it, just buy your ticket at lunch or during the day for the evening show.

Very practical for people who don't work within a few minutes walk of the cinema. That would be most of us :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

is it only cinemaworld what does this unlimited deal? R there any other cinemas that do it? Theres one cinemaworld in cork, but its in douglas, plus its a bit crap too.

suppafly wrote: »
    is it only cinemaworld what does this unlimited deal? R there any other cinemas that do it? Theres one cinemaworld in cork, but its in douglas, plus its a bit crap too.

Douglas has a Cinema World, not a Cineworld, different companies, so the Cineworld card doesn't work in Douglas and no, no other Cinema does such a card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

does anyone ever ask to see your card along with your ticket stub going up the elevaters?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

redfan wrote: »
    does anyone ever ask to see your card along with your ticket stub going up the elevaters?

Nope. Ive never been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've been maybe asked twice in the last year

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

They went through a period of a few weeks ealier this year where everyone was asked for their cards and stubs, but havent seen it since

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Traffic wrote: »
    They went through a period of a few weeks ealier this year where everyone was asked for their cards and stubs, but havent seen it since
    I was asked on Sunday afternoon, 1st time I had to show my card in 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

hey, im definitly going to get this when i start back at college next week. Although I'm wondering if I ordered it straight away would I be charged for the full month of september? or does it work from the next month? if it's the former i think i'll wait till october 1st to get it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Although I'm wondering if I ordered it straight away would I be charged for the full month of september?
    It works straight away - at least it used to. They'd give you a temporary card as soon as you handed over the first payment and then send out a proper card once all the forms were processed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

yep ... its from the day you sign up not the first of a month so if you're not going to be using it for a week or two ... no point getting it just yet

If you do it online you can print out a temp receipt / card you can use.

Advertisement