Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cineworld Unlimited Card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

can you still advance book for movies in the UK cineworld stores with an unlimited card? is it only here that they took it away?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

Just a heads up to people signing up for this you now need to have a UK bank account in order to avail of the Uk system and cheaper offer. I just got a call there about my subscription and tried to argue that as a UK citizen working in Ireland I should be able to avail of the cheaper offer but alas I didnt get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BernardMc

You should still be able to purchase the annual membership by credit card though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

I'm gona give it a go as soon as they cancel my current subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

BernardMc wrote: »
    You should still be able to purchase the annual membership by credit card though, right?

yep, my membership ran out last week. Rang up UK helpline and they just told me to re-register online. £162 which is roughly €177 which is still a good deal cheaper then €240

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Tried the UK site today but it went through and when I called to amend the account address they canceled it on me.

I suppose I'll have to pay the full amount for Ireland then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

KTRIC wrote: »
    Tried the UK site today but it went through and when I called to amend the account address they canceled it on me.

Or vote with your feet and don't pay at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I got mine from the UK site at the start of December, no problem!

zynaps wrote: »
    Or vote with your feet and don't pay at all. :)

I wish it was that simple. Try paying the €10 odd for a ticket each time, its more or less the same in each cinema.

Thats at least €40 per month if you go once a week, which is the minimum amount for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,063 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Why did you call them ? You can edit the address on the website.

• Advertisement

I wish it was that simple. Try paying the €10 odd for a ticket each time, its more or less the same in each cinema.

Thats at least €40 per month if you go once a week, which is the minimum amount for me
    Indeed, I don't go often at all. I probably would go every week if I could get the el cheapo subscription.

Tusky wrote: »
    Why did you call them ? You can edit the address on the website.

They are wise to that now, you can't change it to an Irish address.

When they realise you live in Ireland they'll cancel the account.

They are wise to that now, you can't change it to an Irish address.

When they realise you live in Ireland they'll cancel the account.
    :mad: Nice enforcement of double standards there. I'd expect that they'll also start checking where the card is being used, so that even if you register it to your aunt's address in England, you'll be booted when they notice you've only been using it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

€20 a month or €19.99 to be precise isn't exactly going to break the bank. If you can't afford it then how can you afford to go to the cinema more than once a month?

jozi wrote: »
    €20 a month or €19.99 to be precise isn't exactly going to break the bank. If you can't afford it then how can you afford to go to the cinema more than once a month?
    I don't. Since I cancelled my subscription in 2007, I've gone maybe once every six months (and used my student card where possible).

And it may not break the bank, but it's a) too expensive for a casual moviegoer and b) an insult, given that it's 30% more expensive in Ireland than it is in the UK, even though UK residents can use their cards here. Have you never objected to something on principle?

If it was the equivalent price as the UK card, I'd resubscribe. Otherwise, it's a joke and I'd only subscribe if I was absolutely committed to going to the cinema at least once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lollipop08

Ive got one of these cards and went to see Avatar 3D today and they charged me an extra €1.90. Complete forking rip off. cant see much benefit to this card at all any more

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

lollipop08 wrote: »
    Ive got one of these cards and went to see Avatar 3D today and they charged me an extra €1.90. Complete forking rip off. cant see much benefit to this card at all any more

Hmm. That's €1.90 for the 3D specs, which you can hang on to and avoid any further charge down the road. They used to be free to card-holders, but tbh - you can't really complain about a one-off charge. It's pretty wasteful otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I might give it a try. I mean to register on their UK site.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,355 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can't understand why people think they should get 3d glasses for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

alastair wrote: »
    Hmm. That's €1.90 for the 3D specs, which you can hang on to and avoid any further charge down the road. They used to be free to card-holders, but tbh - you can't really complain about a one-off charge. It's pretty wasteful otherwise.
    I was charged fiddy cent for the glasses in Dundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

noodler wrote: »
    Can't understand why people think they should get 3d glasses for free.

The problem is that although the extra charge is norminally for the glasses, you will have to pay it every time. It doesn't matter whether you keep the glasses or have custom ones yourself, you will pay the charge. In fact in Mahon Omniplex Cork they have many signs up asking you to return the glasses.

I assume this is the same everywhere? You are paying for the 3D service in effect, not simply for the glasses. In fact those glasses are dreadful quality. I may try to get something a bit better off the internet.

So, I understand this annoys people, especially with the charade of declaring that it is for the glasses... Seems to depend on the cinema as to what the extra charge is, and just to make you feel sorry for the Corkconians, the Mahon charge is €2, and they will not accept the normal company vouchers for 3D movies... not at all... even with a top-up... 3D shows have to be paid for in full.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

As ixtlan mentioned, there is a charge for the 3D movie. With the unlimited card it's supposed to be a €1.30 charge for a 3D movie with an extra 80c for the glasses. Without the card it's €1.90 + 80c for glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

lollipop08 wrote: »

It's €1.30 after you have the specs which is a mild inconvenience but tbh with the amount of 3D films out at any given time it's not really an issue and if it's that bothersome you can always just get a ticket for another film and walk into the 3D one, glasses in pocket

Do Cineworld Parnell St really make you buy glasses even if you bring your own?

Surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

noodler wrote: »
    Do Cineworld Parnell St really make you buy glasses even if you bring your own?

Surely not?

no they don't. I've done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

They still make you pay a premium even if you have an unlimited card, which in the past they didn't afaik.

humbert wrote: »
    They still make you pay a premium even if you have an unlimited card, which in the past they didn't afaik.

Makes perfect sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Sarn wrote: »
    As ixtlan mentioned, there is a charge for the 3D movie. With the unlimited card it's supposed to be a €1.30 charge for a 3D movie with an extra 80c for the glasses. Without the card it's €1.90 + 80c for glasses.

Might well have been a mistake by the girl on the till, but I didn't have to pay anything extra for Avatar 3D in Parnell St, when I brought in my own specs (that I'd previously paid the premium for, to see Up).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

So is this deal expired then?

I used to recommend this option to people all the time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Might well have been a mistake by the girl on the till, but I didn't have to pay anything extra for Avatar 3D in Parnell St, when I brought in my own specs (that I'd previously paid the premium for, to see Up).

Actually while it's diverging from the topic I'm interested in how cinemas are doing this. In Cork mahonpoint Omniplex you have to pay €11 for a 3D ticket, and vouchers are not accepted, even in part.

You are not asked whether you have glasses, and they are handed out at the door of the cinema screen (not by the people at the till) without even checking your ticket.

Ix

Advertisement