Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cineworld Unlimited Card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

In Mahon sometimes you also see some poor PhD grad student sitting on the floor cleaning the glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Drakar wrote: »
    In Mahon sometimes you also see some poor PhD grad student sitting on the floor cleaning the glasses.
    I found a pair on the floor at Cineworld (I've never watched a 3D film there... or any 3D that works with those polarising glasses - incidentally is it actually any good?) and use them as eye protection when working on my car from beneath... luckily not often these days. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I went to see avatar in the Savoy in Dublin last week and they gave out their glasses for free. Didn't have to return them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

works out at around €190 a year now (after the currency change fee)

Damn sterling is getting stronger :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

my mate lives in uk , can i use his address if he pays for it on his credit card and i give him the cash?

• Advertisement

I think he can buy it as "a gift" for you (which would explain why the name on the card and on the payment are different).

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

I've been using my card obtained from the UK for the past year. I want to extend it for another year but I can't seem to see an option for this. Do I need to re-apply again from the Uk? Does it still work, even though I'm in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

clacks wrote: »
    I've been using my card obtained from the UK for the past year. I want to extend it for another year but I can't seem to see an option for this. Do I need to re-apply again from the Uk? Does it still work, even though I'm in Dublin?

They just continue with direct debit so you unless you cancel you card should just continue until you cancel.

Happy movie watching :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

clacks wrote: »

I couldn't extend mine as I was still technically on direct debit so they just told me to re-apply online, which i did with no problems. If your already on the yearly payment i assume you should be able to just ring em and tell you to take another year's worth off your credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dualtaslayr

So is this deal over? Iv an uncle living in the uk, could I just get the card delivered to him and pay it all with my (irish) credit card?

• Advertisement

So is this deal over? Iv an uncle living in the uk, could I just get the card delivered to him and pay it all with my (irish) credit card?

This was never really a "deal" as such, just a loophole for getting the card cheaper. How much cheaper really depends on the current exchange rate. You'd be looking at about €190 for the year atm vs. €240 for the irish card.

Yes, you can do that, but you could just get it delivered here aswell. It doesn't need to be sent to a UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dualtaslayr

grimm2005 wrote: »
    This was never really a "deal" as such, just a loophole for getting the card cheaper. How much cheaper really depends on the current exchange rate. You'd be looking at about €190 for the year atm vs. €240 for the irish card.

Yes, you can do that, but you could just get it delivered here aswell. It doesn't need to be sent to a UK address.

But above doesnt it say that they have stopped some ppls cards once they recognised the irish credit card?

But above doesnt it say that they have stopped some ppls cards once they recognised the irish credit card?

Yes, this is due to an issue between the english and irish direct debit system (NOT credit card) using the pay monthly system. So while you cannot pay monthly using direct debit on the english subscription, you can go for the annual membership option, paying a lump sum for a full years membership in advance on your credit card, thus foregoing the need for direct debit.

In other words they'll accept credit cards but not direct debit bank details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Yes, this is due to an issue between the english and irish direct debit system (NOT credit card) using the pay monthly system. So while you cannot pay monthly using direct debit on the english subscription, you can go for the annual membership option, paying a lump sum for a full years membership in advance on your credit card, thus foregoing the need for direct debit.

In other words they'll accept credit cards but not direct debit bank details

I can confirm the above, as i have renewed my subscription again although I have registered a UK mailing address with cineworld just in case. You are better off paying the annual subscription, as ir works out at 185 - 190 euro so 50 euro less than paying per month, and there wont be any direct debit issues then. It works a treat for me and has done for the last couple of years, if you'd rather cineworld have the extra fifty quid out of your pocket, then thats up to you, but if you can afford a lump sum payment then absolutely go for it. If you can avail of a UK postal address, then even better.

I was in London so switched to the pay extra so you can go to London cinemas dealio. When I came back I phoned them up to switch back to regular, and that was all fine, but one day randomly my card stopped working, and the helpful helpdesk said if I wanted to frequent the dublin cinema I had to pay the irish rate. So I cancelled.

Drakar wrote: »
    I was in London so switched to the pay extra so you can go to London cinemas dealio. When I came back I phoned them up to switch back to regular, and that was all fine, but one day randomly my card stopped working, and the helpful helpdesk said if I wanted to frequent the dublin cinema I had to pay the irish rate. So I cancelled.

That sucks although nothing would stop you signing up a new UK account and paying the annual fee up front, thus getting it for the same cheaper price you expected to when you swapped over (provided you actually WANT to sign up again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Can anybody confirm that this loophole is still active?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Gileadi wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm that this loophole is still active?

I got my card through the UK site in February, paid for the year upfront and have had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭the_freaky_one

I've just stumbled across this thread now..
    I must give alot of credit to the OP, quality loophole..
    Although with the exchange rates at the moment you don't save much
    €206 v €240.....

Think its time to cancel my card, deffo not great value these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Is this still available?

Also - is the cineworld the best unlimited card around? Been to the odeon a few times now and it's day light robbery. €14.10 or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Same here Carpet, went to see Gravity in iSense 3D and it was €16 something a ticket.. imo it is the best screen in Dublin, but at that price it would want to be. I wasnt aware any other cinema did one of these cards.

Does the UK registration still work?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Etnies wrote: »
    Same here Carpet, went to see Gravity in iSense 3D and it was €16 something a ticket.. imo it is the best screen in Dublin, but at that price it would want to be. I wasnt aware any other cinema did one of these cards.

Does the UK registration still work?
    Not sure does it - would prefer the monthly as I see it going out each month and remind myself not to forget to get value out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

For people cancelling and getting a new card - be warned that you'll be starting at day-0 again, so you will have to pay extra for 3D films.
    1 year + card holders get 3D free and 25% off food (for whatever that is worth)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

For people cancelling and getting a new card - be warned that you'll be starting at day-0 again, so you will have to pay extra for 3D films.
    1 year + card holders get 3D free and 25% off food (for whatever that is worth)

For me its become i can get 25% more food for the same price :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

People living near to a cinema where they have a membership card are lucky. There is only an Omniplex in my Town and I have never seen any such scheme or promotion ever coming out of that crowd. I am not going to pay a tenner + to see a film I can watch online for free in DVD quality a couple of months later or so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I find the IMAX screen in Cineworld to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

imo it is the best screen in Dublin, but at that price it would want to be.

IMAX is in a different league. I went to the same movie in both (TDKR) and ISENSE felt blurry! Was really shown up when IMAX opened in Cineworld

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kn wrote: »
    People living near to a cinema where they have a membership card are lucky. There is only an Omniplex in my Town and I have never seen any such scheme or promotion ever coming out of that crowd. I am not going to pay a tenner + to see a film I can watch online for free in DVD quality a couple of months later or so.

Well if you go to the cinema Sunday to Thursday, grab yourself a free O2 prepaid SIM (if you're not already an O2 customer) and sign up to O2 Priority on their website and you can frequent the Omniplex for just a fiver. Offer doesn't apply Friday and Saturday though.

Has saved me a small fortune! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I just spent the last 10 minutes reading the start of this thread all excited. I always forget to look at the dates of threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

IMAX is in a different league. I went to the same movie in both (TDKR) and ISENSE felt blurry! Was really shown up when IMAX opened in Cineworld

Wasn't the IMAX there years before iSense? Maybe it's personal preference, I just prefer it, never thought it was blurry at all, I don't like 3D films, but Gravity was amazing.

Advertisement