Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knock for Knock ?

Options
  • 08-08-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

KNOCK FOR KNOCK ?!?!?!

If, say a car is stationery and another car ploughs into it on a single track road, then the driver of the car that hit the other admits liability and then later retracts it and claims its knock for knock (when they get the quote for the damage after offering to get the car fixed), any ideas if knock for knock stands ?

FBP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

fatboypee wrote: »
    KNOCK FOR KNOCK ?!?!?!

If, say a car is stationery and another car ploughs into it on a single track road, then the driver of the car that hit the other admits liability and then later retracts it and claims its knock for knock (when they get the quote for the damage after offering to get the car fixed), any ideas if knock for knock stands ?

FBP

Were the guards called? Did anybody witness the other party admitting fault?
    Did you get the admission in writing?

If the answers to all of these questions are 'No' that I shall wish you luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Guards not called (I know, but a very similar incident happened to me a month ago, called the guards, irritatedly they pretty much said "anyone hurt? - No", sort it out yerselves.., I too was hit full on, wrote off my car, i too was stationery (luckilly other driver admitted full responsibility)).

2 credible witnesses in the car that was hit, but both are minors.

Driver responsible spoke to me and said they could not afford the claim so was going to go knock for knock. (and some other stuff that may prejudice the case that I can't put on here).

FBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Guards not called (I know, but a very similar incident happened to me a month ago, called the guards, irritatedly they pretty much said "anyone hurt? - No", sort it out yerselves.., I too was hit full on, wrote off my car, i too was stationery (luckilly other driver admitted full responsibility)).

2 credible witnesses in the car that was hit, but both are minors.

Driver responsible spoke to me and said they could not afford the claim so was going to go knock for knock. (and some other stuff that may prejudice the case that I can't put on here).

FBP.

Knock for knock??? WTF is that??? Get a solicitor's letter out like yesterday, that's my advice...

KNOCK FOR KNOCK ?!?!?!

FBP

If someone drives into the back of you, regardless of whether your stationary or travelling 120 down the motorway, it's their fault every time. Get a good accessor to do up an engineers report which will commit to writing the fact that the driver who rear ended you caused the damage to your car and get it into your solicitor.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If someone drives into the back of you, regardless of whether your stationary or travelling 120 down the motorway, it's their fault every time. Get a good accessor to do up an engineers report which will commit to writing the fact that the driver who rear ended you caused the damage to your car and get it into your solicitor.

Mmm Being rear ended was never mentioned... the OP gave no info on the direction of impact

• Advertisement

Sorry, was maybe a bit vauge, was front end damage, driver was going a hell of a lick. kid in the car saw the driver and said watch out. driver of the car hit pulled in tight as possible (no laybye nearby) and stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I'm so confused... :confused:

Try explaining it carefully, slowly and with adequate punctuation. I don't mean to sound like a knob but your two posts were here, there and everywhere!

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Mmm Being rear ended was never mentioned... the OP gave no info on the direction of impact

Sorry. I never heard of knock for knock.

Sorry. I never heard of knock for knock.

I presume the OP means, each party will repair their own vehicle? but I'm open to correction

Vertakill wrote: »
    I'm so confused... :confused:

Try explaining it carefully, slowly and with adequate punctuation. I don't mean to sound like a knob but your two posts were here, there and everywhere!

Sorry, kinda hopping mad still.

car was at a standstill on a single track road after being alerted to a speeding oncoming vehicle. Full lights on, as close to the verge as is possible. oncoming vehicle was going too fast to avoid the insured car and took the side out of it.

oncoming vehicle driver, when advised of the cost of repair decided he could not afford to pay and then denied admitting liability saying if a claim was put in against him, he would counter claim as it was 'knock for knock'.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Sorry, kinda hopping mad still.

car was at a standstill on a single track road after being alerted to a speeding oncoming vehicle. Full lights on, as close to the verge as is possible. oncoming vehicle was going too fast to avoid the insured car and took the side out of it.

oncoming vehicle driver, when advised of the cost of repair decided he could not afford to pay and then denied admitting liability saying if a claim was put in against him, he would counter claim as it was 'knock for knock'.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Grand, if your into a contentious claim as you appear to be your better going off the deep end from the outset. "Knock for knock" is grand if each party agree's to this means of resolving the issue. You can't have a "knock for knock" solution imposed on you, at least not by the other party. Get a solicitors letter out to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Have you informed your insurance company?

Grand, if your into a contentious claim as you appear to be your better going off the deep end from the outset. "Knock for knock" is grand if each party agree's to this means of resolving the issue. You can't have a "knock for knock" solution imposed on you, at least not by the other party. Get a solicitors letter out to him.

Thanks, the only issue with this is that I'd have no say on what my insurance company does on my behalf. It may end up that my insurance premium goes up without my having a say on whether they pay out? (as its the insurance co's that will agree knock fo knock no ??)

FBP.

Thanks, the only issue with this is that I'd have no say on what my insurance company does on my behalf. It may end up that my insurance premium goes up without my having a say on whether they pay out? (as its the insurance co's that will agree knock fo knock no ??)

FBP.

Yeah, your Insurance Co will uptimately make the decision. Obviously you have each others policy details???

Yes, all lodged. Still hopping at the injustice of it all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Ahh I understand now. The car stopped is in the right here, as the responsibility is on the moving car. Also, if he was speeding he's even more in the wrong.

Was there any witnesses at all? Sounds like it could be a stalemate with the two of you's sticking to your stories unfortunately.

I'd say that was pretty scary, having a car hit you head on as you're stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Would skid marks/crash residue on road prove you were stopped at time of impact? Pictures if so. They would also prove your position on the road.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement