Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Required RE computer courses

Options
  • 08-08-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hey not sure if i've posted this in the right forum or not but sure here goes anyway.

i've been recently looking into working in the it sector as i spent 5 years in WIT studying computers.
    While there I completed a NC in Commercial Computing and a NC in Multimedia Applications Development.

But having graduated in 2004 my qualifications are now 4 years old, and as I have no relevant experience in the industry I thought some kind of "refresher course" or any course really would help me.

But i've been looking around online and am not really sure what would be useful to me.

So what I guess I'm asking does anyone know of any particularly good courses which I could avail of?

Or any help really?

Thanks any reply would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

First question is, what do you want to do?

Second question, how long are you willing to commit to another course?

Personally, I think most decent jobs nowadays require a degree, so I would suggest looking in that direction. Ideally do it in the evening while building up experience working during the day.

The other option is industry certification, such as Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco. But again, you need to do them in conjunction with getting experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd get an IT job first off to start building experience, then do an evening degree course, wich will get you better IT jobs later. But you have to decide what area within IT you want to do. The first few jobs you get you wo't have much choice, and will have to take what you get. Some companies might pay for your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

I'm not 100% sure to be quite honest.

My qualifications are in programming and s/w development.

Having never done anything h/w related I am interested in this aspect of IT but have no prior experience.

I am worried that its been so long since I graduated that it will rule me out of the running of any job I might apply for.

I agree that a degree course is probably the way to go but am 27 now and would be 31 or 32 when finished.

I have been looking into some part time and evening courses online but am not sure if they are worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

ayatollah wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure to be quite honest.

My qualifications are in programming and s/w development.

Having never done anything h/w related I am interested in this aspect of IT but have no prior experience.

I am worried that its been so long since I graduated that it will rule me out of the running of any job I might apply for.

I agree that a degree course is probably the way to go but am 27 now and would be 31 or 32 when finished.

I have been looking into some part time and evening courses online but am not sure if they are worth doing.

Perhaps you might get to skip a year based on your prior experience and qualifications when doing your degree. But that is really just a complete guess as I know nothing about how to go about that sort of thing.

Advertisement