Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do to my track to make it better?

Options
  • 08-08-2008 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

So I've only been doing home recording for a few months, and I've made a few things.

My latest is this:
    http://audiojungle.net/item/harmony/15828

Ignore the audio watermark on it.

I think it sounds "good" considering how long I've been making music on my PC. I did it all in Reason. I'd love to hear your feedback on it. Don't hold back :)

Hope this is the right place to post this :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

first thing you need to do is sort out the levels. the mid point of the track is very busy and everything seems to be competing for space, also there seems to be a bit of unwamted distortion and rumble down the lower end at certain points.

maybe try mildly cutting some lower frequencies and use stereo field placement more to your advantage.

your playing is pretty spectacular though. reminds me of very early moby stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Yea I want to sort that out alright...the middle is kind of busy - I like having it really busy, but I think the levels do need to be sorted out as you can't hear some things that are going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

So I've only been doing home recording for a few months, and I've made a few things.

My latest is this:
    http://audiojungle.net/item/harmony/15828

Ignore the audio watermark on it.

I think it sounds "good" considering how long I've been making music on my PC. I did it all in Reason. I'd love to hear your feedback on it. Don't hold back :)

Hope this is the right place to post this :)

Good Work Squire - the main problem to my ears seems to be the bass sound has a strong noise component that distracts from it's 'note' so I hear it less as a 'tone' and more a noise making the line hard to follow in what is a complex piece.

That muddles up things a bit.

Also perhaps the piano sounds should be different so's you can follow the individual lines better as it is quite complex.

But maybe not ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Yea I kind of like having the same tone for the pianos to be honest, because I like the texture that they create. For me its not about the melody, but the textures, which is why I never really look at the notes I'm playing, but rather focus on the overall "sound" I'm getting from it in the overall mix.

I understand what you're saying about the bass being too much in it - for me it was all about the texture aswell, but I can understand where you're coming from...maybe take about the low frequencies from that part?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Yea I kind of like having the same tone for the pianos to be honest, because I like the texture that they create. For me its not about the melody, but the textures, which is why I never really look at the notes I'm playing, but rather focus on the overall "sound" I'm getting from it in the overall mix.

I understand what you're saying about the bass being too much in it - for me it was all about the texture aswell, but I can understand where you're coming from...maybe take about the low frequencies from that part?

I thought that might be the idea with the pianos ok - but maybe try 1 with reverb - just so you can follow the track better.

As I say I'd make the bass more 'tonal' but it's what ever you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement