Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

integra type r

Options
  • 08-08-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

i'm gonna pull the woman card here:

how rare is it for a coil to go in the engine of a newly (jp) imported type r?

i got one recently and it's died fairly rapid. one garage is saying she's got an electric problem and the dealer is insisting it's the coil and it's under warranty so it'll be fixed free but wanted to know how rare/often can this happen.

she's a 97 - i'm the first owner here. she had a sevice (allegedly) and the timing belt done. only 76k kms on the clock.

advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Very possible, especially with some of the cars they import in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The coil is integrated into the distributor on that model. The ignitor is also in the distributor. They do go. Good news is they're cheap and it's a 5 minute job to replace either of them.

If the car is dead and there is no spark from any of the plugs then it's the coil or ignitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

yeah - i've had a guy look at it and he said it was the coil - when i rang the dealer, he also said it was common enough. just making sure he's not trying to pull a fast one really.

there's no spark at all - just died while driving (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Just to add to this - I've had 2 mates in the past, who's Type Rs both suffered distributor problems a few weeks after importing so you're not alone. Its probably to do with condensation and moisture from spending a couple of weeks on a ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Take off the rotor cap and make sure everything looks alright. There could be moisture or there could be worn bearings which can cause melted rotors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

yer man's gonna just replace it with a new one for me - she's under warranty anyway so not too pushed, like i said i wanted to make sure it was a known problem that he's not pulling a fast one...course i've no f**kin car for the weekend :(

Advertisement