Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundstore, Harvey Norman, Currys etc

Options
  • 08-08-2008 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Im not too sure if im allowed mention specific names of companies, but here goes,
    We are going to be looking for electrical appliances for our new house pretty soon and im just wondering what are peoples own experiences of these shops,
    Im hoping that if i buy the majority for our appliances from the one place, ill get a good deal.
    Thanks
    Please PM me if you cannot mention specific names here, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No problem mentioning names, Ashfield.
    I went through the same thing a few years ago so I know what its like.

I got a good deal from Finucanes Electrical Appliances - they're in the Eastway Business Park on the Ballysimon Road. I got a discount for buying most of my white goods there (Fridge Freezer, Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Oven, Hob, Extractor Fan), and they deliver to your house..

They have a showroom there, so call over and take a look yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

Ok thanks

Well we were in soundstore last week and we just thought that they have a great choice of all products not to mention are very well priced
    Wasnt to gone on finucanes to be honest and herself has long standing grudge against currys!!

Will probably need to go around again before we make a decision

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Currys Dixons and PCWorld are the same company afaik, and i can understand people having grudges against them, been there, have the tshirt, sandles and cap. :mad:

Soundstore do seem to be doing some really good pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Mr E wrote: »
    No problem mentioning names, Ashfield.
    I went through the same thing a few years ago so I know what its like.

I got a good deal from Finucanes Electrical Appliances - they're in the Eastway Business Park on the Ballysimon Road. I got a discount for buying most of my white goods there (Fridge Freezer, Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Oven, Hob, Extractor Fan), and they deliver to your house..

They have a showroom there, so call over and take a look yourself.

A friend of mine dealt with them (Finucanes Electrical) very recently and got a great deal off them. I think it was three or four hundred euro cheaper than anywhere else and they haggel.

My parents have used Clancy's on O'Connell street throughout the years and found them very good. Sadly I can't afford my own house yet so I have no direct dealings with any of them:(.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

I went to Finucanes three years ago to buy a range, canopy, fridge and freezer. Because I bought them al in one go I got a good discount. ?Went and priced the same stuff in the big chain stores and was basically told "the price on the tag is what you pay, no discount."
    Plus Finucanes is locally owned and there's few enough shops like that left, if I'm buying a tv or stereo I go to Savins for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

rule of thumb, if a place wont haggle, go elsewhere. The hagglers will definitely be the cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Xennon wrote: »
    Currys Dixons and PCWorld are the same company afaik, and i can understand people having grudges against them, been there, have the tshirt, sandles and cap. :mad:

Soundstore do seem to be doing some really good pricing.
    and on a side not, dixons are no more, there all going to be rebranded as currys.

I find Soundstore to have good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

rstans wrote: »
    Plus Finucanes is locally owned and there's few enough shops like that left, if I'm buying a tv or stereo I go to Savins for the same reason.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

would have to give Soundstore my vote for Limerick. Good prices, staff with knowledge on what they are selling, and importantly, good aftersales service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭georgem25

Finnucances were great for me - haggled and got a great deal.
    My family have been shopping there for years, also great after sale service.
    A friend of mine bought in the sale and they held the items for months until her house was ready too. Its also good to support local companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

About 8-9 years ago moving into my house I found Finucanes
    to have the best deals. Price wise and also doing bundle deals
    like Fridge+washing machines for cheap prices. Also got my Sky Digital
    Installed by them at the time before I had a phone line.
    (Sky needed a phone line to activate so they activated my box for me!)

Any of the other electronic or electrical stores in East way business park I have found
    to have fairly high prices. Currys can be hit and miss. Good for somethings bad for others.
    All in All Good Ol Argos is always there to fall back on.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Used Curry's myself and wouldn't again they took ages to deliver go with Finucanes they are in the business for years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Sean Hennessy electrical in Smithstown Shannon are very good. I think they have a store in Ratkeale as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just remember folks its not just about a good deal when purchasing these appliances, the aftersales service is important too. From my experience of my sister working at one of them, the big retail chains just don't give a toss about aftersales service, they give you the number of some silly call centre where you spend 30 mins on the phone listening to an automated voice while queuing to have your issue dealt with.

We bought all our kitchen and utility room appliances off of Clancy Electrical last year after my parents recommended them after good service over the years. Probably not as cheap as the likes of Curry's or Harvey's as they don't have the same purchase power as them but we got a good enough discount and the appliances were delivered when they said they would. About 2 months later one of the rings on the hobb died, just one phone call and they came out and replaced it straight away, no bull. Worth spending a few quid extra for the after sales experience imo. I'd only buy cheap disposable appliances from the larger retail chains to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

+10million for bazz's comment

Also watch out for the long time insurance thing it isn't always a cover all package as I learnt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A few years back I bought a home cinema system from one of big chain stores. The same system was for sale in Savins but more expensive.
    18 months later the power supply unit on my home cinema failed and I went back to the chain-store and of course, the 12-month warranty being expired, they told me to take a hike.

Cap in hand I went back to Savins and told them my story. In view of the fact I had bought the item from another outlet, they were reluctant to get involved in repairing it, which I fully understand, but because I had bought a fairly expensive TV from them a year previously, they agreed to have my item repaired.....and quickly too, at a very reasonable cost....though not under warranty. The other crowd wouldn't even recommend a repairperson. They didn't know anyone.

Moral of the story.......it's worth spending a few bob extra on the initial price from a local dealer beacuse you can go back if there's any problem, talk to them and most are a lot more helpful than Dixon's,Curry's PCWorld etc. Even if warranties are expired, they will still advise you on how to get help.

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we have used clancy's for years also savins, helpful staff, good after sales ,

my son recently got a good deal on hi fi at soundstore & i had to pick up some equipment for him, while there i had a look around & found the staff very friendly & efficient

my wife was buying a dvd recorder at harvey normans, when she got to the cash desk they wanted €50 more than it was listed, they said that offer had expired eventhough the sale sign was still in place, we didnt even quote our comsumer rights to them , just turned & walked out.

Advertisement