Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Top Hat?

• 08-08-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi lads.
    Just browsing through Metallicas website and it says Metallica played the Top Hat in Dublin on the Justice tour.
    Just wondering where the Top Hat was and if any of you fellas where there.
    Cheers
    Ger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Wasn't at it but the Top Hat was in Dun Laoghaire.
    Anthrax and Slayer also payed the venue, fado fado.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

it's apartments now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

I was at the 2nd night of that Metallica Justice tour... still have an old bootleg recording gatering dust some where!!

The Top saw some good bands in the late 80's / Early 90's

Metallica
    Anthrax
    Slayer
    Nuclear Assault
    Ozzy
    Sonic Youth (Supported by a small seattle outfit called Nirvana)
    WASP
    Faith No More

.... to name a few I attended there..

Yeah it's now appartments!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

As above. Saw many a great gig there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ToolFool

Ah, The Top Hat!! What a great venue it was. Plenty of area's around for a young man to drink outside, try snogging a few girls before being told "i don't fancy ya!", get beaten up by a group of idiots for no other reason than everyone's bored waiting for Faith No More to finish recording Top Of The Pops. It was awesome though.
    Memories!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭dasdog

I think it held about 1,500 or so. Remember getting autographs of quite a few bands outside it. The day usually started in the mid-afternoon if you could get your hands on a few beers and some stuff pinched from your da's drinks cabinet. It was close to the sea which made it different from the other venues in town at the time. Of the gigs I can remember from there:

-Metallica on the Justice for all tour (went both nights)
    -Suicidal Tendencies & M.O.D
    -Anthrax who left the stage after a few songs (bastids were not liked after that)
    -Sepultura & Kreator
    -Faith no more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

yeah it was a good venue...
    the metallica gig there was great. didn't glen danzig support them??
    i can still see them on stage now and remember the roars of the crowd when the ecstacy of gold started over the PA just before they went on..I remember thinking it was like cliff em all............
    whatever happened to that band ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭dasdog

steveone wrote: »
    the metallica gig there was great. didn't glen danzig support them??
    i can still see them on stage now and remember the roars of the crowd when the ecstacy of gold started over the PA just before they went on..I remember thinking it was like cliff em all............

Yep, Danzig were an added bonus. Actually I found a bad recording of the first nights gig yesterday on the web after seeing this thread and another of the Puppets tour from the SFX. I remember Megadeth played a few months earlier in the Olympic Ballroom which totally blew me away though. My first gig as a 13 year old kid ;) Can still remember the Top Hat pretty clearly myself but feck was I jealous of the people that went to the SFX to see them with Cliff Burton.

Dunno what really happened to Metallica. Enjoyed that RDS gig as few years back though. I just headed to the bar when they played stuff I didn't know/like. If you'd asked me 20 years ago if they would still be going strong, let alone be playing in Marley Park which is pretty near to where I'm from, I'd have said your off yer box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

steveone wrote: »
    Impossible to stay 26 forever...we all know what that feels like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

Ahh The Top Hat, a bingo hall if I remember correctly. I seen Slayer, WASP and Anthrax there in the late 1980's (jaysus i feel old). Anthrax walked off after been spit on continiously for about 4 or 5 songs. I think the last straw was when Scott Ian (I think) slipped on a big lump of gob and fell over. I seem to remember we got our money back but could be wrong. I had the bootleg, bought from a dodgey looking guy selling tapes out of a suitcase on O'Connell Bridge (now I feel really old).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I was there for Metallica and Faith No More gigs.

Metallica were ****ing brilliant. Faith No More were ok.

Advertisement