Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OPTILASE no longer offering €1,000 back with VIVAS!

• 08-08-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Had my consultation with Optilase yesterday and they dropped the bombshell that, when I was considering my next step / appt. the Vivas (Hibernian Insurance) dealy where you can claim €1,000 back is ceasing after August so I would have to have my surgery done by then to avail of it.

Apparently it's to be replaced by 20% discount for all insurance companies, which comes to about €600.

I rang Vivas and the agent checked with her supervisor and neither of them knew anything about the change. I then rang Optilase and told them this and they checked and said it was true, we're not lying, and Vivas had said they were going to inform all their customers.

I provisionally booked my surgery for the end of August, it doesn't really bother me, but I don't want to feel like I'm being given a sales pitch. Anyone know any more about this?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm going in for my consultation with Optilase today, and when I rang to make the appointment, they told me the same thing. They said once I got my surgery before the end of the august I'd still be able to claim back the €1000 from Vivas. What they said to me was that Vivas were ending their affiliation with them.

Like Delorian, I rang Vivas to see what the story was, the guy I was talking to hadn't heard anything about it, and said he was going to ring me back. Next day I still hadn't heard anything so I rang them again, got the same story and was told that they'd investigate and somebody would call me back.

I was kinda worried that I was being given a sales pitch, but thinking about it rationally, they couldn't really be going around saying that cos they'd probably get in some sort of trouble. I'm going to have to try and book my appointment for some time in august, but it's going to make things awkward with work. I'll have to get the surgery on a friday and try to be back to work on monday or tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Does it matter what Optilase say? They are going to get the same amount of money either way. Surely this deal is between you and Hibernian Health. Hibernian Health are the ones who give you the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

Hi
    I have had the same experience with Optilase. Was told the offer is only valid until the end of August and then Vivas are only offering 20%. Also called vivas and was told that the €1000 offer is ongoing. I have canceled my pre op consulation with Opitlase. I have no trust in them after that. Have another consultation with Optical express on Wednesday. Dont think it is something you should rush and Optilase are putting a lot of pressure on people to go ahead with treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

I was told the only time I could get was pre-op next Monday and surgery next Tuesday. mhairt, I do see what you're saying about rushing it, but I know I want it at some stage, I've heard Optilase are fine, so now's as good a time as any. I've found in the past, if I'm given too long to decide I put things on the long finger and never do them, so I think I'll bite the bullet.

Deadeyes, what you said makes total sense. Once they give you some sort of thing to prove you've gotten it done, I can't see Hibernian saying go away.

I may well challenge them on Monday cos both sides we're swearing blindly and it's not good customer service. Will let you know how everything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

Hi was in Optical express for a consultation today. Found them excellent, very friendly and really took time to go thorough everything, hould me all of the print outs and results of each scan. Would really recommend going there for a consultation. And best of all from the start of September Vivas are offering 30% back. So they are moving from optilase to optival express. There must be really bad comunication between vivas and optilase because no one seemed to know what was going on. I will be getting mine done with optical express. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm getting my eyes done in Optilase on Saturday. I have to say I found the consultation and the pre-op visit great. The staff were great and took a lot of time explaining about Lasik and Lasek, answering any questions I had, and read through the entire care package for both with me. They gave me the packages to take away too, and then rang me the next day to see had I any questions I'd forgotten to ask on the day. (I couldn't read the package the night of my consultation cos they'd given me those drops that dialate your pupils). A friend of my mum's got her eyes done there about a month ago and couldn't recommend them enough. TBH, I think even if VIVAS weren't affiliated I'd probably still be going there. I didn't feel any pressure to book with them at all. I managed to get my operation appointment for this saturday, so I'm all excited and nervous.

I'm actually a bit unhappy with VIVAS/Hibernian right now, cos I rang them twice in regards to this, both times I was told that they didn't know what was going on, and I was assured I'd be called back, but I've still not heard anything from them and I rang almost two weeks ago. I would have thought they'd be sending something out to us in writing too, informing us that the details of our policies has changed?

Well I got my eyes done on Saturday morning at 11. Went in to the clinic and was brought down to pre-op where they got me into my attractive surgical hat thing, and shoe covers. They cleaned my eyes and I was offered a vallium (which I gratefully accepted), and then I was brought in to the surgery room. The procedure was fairly painless, although I found the suction cup that they put on your eyes for Lasik surgery to be pretty unpleasant. It was all over in about 20 mins, and I was brought into a different room where the surgeon checked my eyes, then he brought me into a nice dimly lit room where I had a little lie down for a few minutes. One of the nurses came in then and went through all my after care with me.

I slept for the whole day saturday, and then when I woke up on Sunday I could see perfectly! It was great! Had my post op consultation that morning and they confirmed my vision was better than 20/20! I have to say, so far I'm delighted with it! I'm not giving my opinion 100% yet, cos I'm not fully healed :p I thought the staff in Optilase were lovely, especially the lovely technician who held my hand the whole way through the procedure (I was really really nervous), and the surgeon who was lovely too. I went back to work yesterday, and have been fine so far. I'm making sure to put in my artificial tear drops really regularly, like every half hour, and I find keeping my sunglasses on while at the computer helps too (although I look like a bit of a weirdo and I'm getting a fierce slagging from my colleagues!) I was able to drive the next day, although my surgeon was saying to me that I need to be careful as my vision can fluctuate. He said that although I'd be legal driving standard the day after surgery, I needed to use discretion when it came to driving, as my vision could get a bit blurry, especially if my eyes are dry.

So far I'd totally get it done again, and would recommend it! I've still heard nothing from VIVAS in regards to the change in cover. I wonder when they're going to announce it, cos I looked on the website and there's nothing there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

I got it done a week ago and haven't had many problems at all, well, one to be exact.

My Positives
    • No significant dryness except when I wake up it can feel quite dry opening my eyes for the first time.
    • No real urge to scratch although I love washing the sleep out of my eyes when I wake, so I now use a finger and wet wipe.
    • Nearly perfect sight as soon as it was done and perfect sight pretty much after 5 hours sleep. Confirmed as better than 20/20 at the following day's appt. and the same today.
    • Was back in work two days after and out drinking the day after the surgery (not sure you should do that but was going crazy with no TV, Internet or reading).

My Negative
    However, and here's the only negative, I have gotten some light issues with my right issue. You'd barely notice it during the day but when bright and dark meet I get a bleeding of light, commonly known as a halo or starburst. So looking near traffic lights, car lights, street lights, or even reading credits at the end of a movie (white text on black background) can be ever so slightly off-putting and blurred.

I drove last night for the first time and it was ok. It's quite minor, but since the left is so good, I'm a little disappointed. But I have more time to heal, so let's see what happens.

My Conclusion
    To put the results in perspective, I can see pretty much further than anyone else in the office, including with those requiring glasses wearing them. I didn't expect to be able to see as well as when I had my glasses as my optician was sh!t hot and they were excellent, but I definitely think it's very close.

Optilase are handling Vivas for me, and haven't heard anything yet either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Glad to hear those who've had their eyes done are back with us, relativly unscathed!
    Hope your light issues improve as you eyes heal Delorian; keep us updated with your recovery. :)

I got my Vivas cheque in the post on Friday. Had my surgery on Aug 23rd, so I think it was out quick enough. Yaaay €1000!!!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

As I mentioned elsewhere my surgery is on the 20th and Optilase just took the 1000 euro straight off. They're honouring it for a certain length of time I think.

Just checked their site, it says they're doing a €1000 discount for Vivas/Hibernian members.

Advertisement