Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Football in Italy the biggest sport there?

• 08-08-2008 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Of course it is.
    How many people do you think play football in Italy?
    I'm sure there's loads of youth leagues etc.
    Any ideas on the numbers of people playing it?
    Reason i'm posting is that there's a discussion on boards with a person involved with Shooting (as a sport) and they believe that there are more people playing shooting than people playing football in Italy.
    I highly doubt that and i think it's crazy to suggest.
    What do you think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Let him beleive.Don't deny him that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Of course it is.
    Reason i'm posting is that there's a discussion on boards with a person involved with Shooting (as a sport) and they believe that there are more people playing shooting than people playing football in Italy.
    What do you think?

I was living there for two months and I can frankly assure you that that guy is an absolute fool. Basketball is biggish in the south, rugby is gaining alot of momentum in the north football is the biggest sport by a country mile in literally every region. Before the Benoit tragedy, wrestling had gained alot of popularity with the kids but that has effectively dissapeared.

I lived there for 2 and a half months and have been there around 15 times. I have Italian friends. This is the first time I have ever heard of shooting being big there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Almost everyone in Italy is football crazy. My misses (a rather beautiful italian woman) for example understands the offside rule.:D says it all really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Agreed, I've been with Italians who came over here for the summer and they are all calcio CRAZY. Even the women are extremely passionate for their teams. One of the guys had the balls to say Trezeguet was better than Messi/ Etoo/ Puyol and Xavi combined... Blind Italians... :p No seriously though, they are football crazy, all of them. One of the exchange students challenged me to a penalty shoot out, and she was wearing high heels. =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

is he getting italy and iraq mixed up?
    RedPlanet wrote: »
    Of course it is.
    What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

In Sicily and not as a sport maybe, otherwise its football without doubt. I'm just back from spending a year there, and while I saw a couple of gun shops, calcio is the undisputed number 1 sport, followed by motor racing (if you count it as a sport) and basketball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Almost everyone in Italy is football crazy. My misses (a rather beautiful italian woman) for example understands the offside rule.:D says it all really

Pfffffffft! Sorry I cannot belive it!

Footie and Catholic church are battle it out to be top religion in Italy.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Here is the thread, for your viewing pleasure.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56834945&postcount=47

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You never know, after all angling is far and away the most popular sport in England, with football well behind. Your argument with Sparks is about shooting/football as a participatory sport, which most respondants seem to have passed on.

That said, my sources are from the 70s and all the anglers may just be X-box freaks now. Although I imaging virtual angling is a big seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

mike65 wrote: »
    Pfffffffft! Sorry I cannot belive it!
    :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement