Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local food finds

• 08-08-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

I'm living in Inchicore, which is fairly devoid of decent shops. Considering there are so many people living there, the food situtation is fairly dire. If we want to do a big shop the closest we have is an expensive Superquinn (which is quite nice) in Sundrive, or a very shonky Dunnes/Tesco in Crumlin (strange experience).

But I did go to a new (or recently renovated) butchers in Rialto last week. It's called Ennis Butchers - and I was really impressed. They had a really good range of traceable meats and fish - some were packed by themselves in different presentations, sauces etc. And they had a good range of veg, spices, cheeses and wine. They do advertise on flyers and on the front of the shop that they sell 28 day dry aged beef. I haven't tried any - yet. I bought some chicken on the bone, which was basically half a chicken, trimmed, for 3 EUR each. Each piece could have easily fed two people, but we were surprised how succulent and how MUCH it tasted like chicken! I had just pan fried it, and finished it in the oven. I'm dying to go back and try more cuts. I'll report back on how it goes.

Another shop which I find great - Chinese wholesale place, So Kee Co, on Emmet Road. I think it was one of the first in Dublin. It's been here as long as I can remember, and it has everything you need and the staff are really helpful.

I'd love to hear about local places that people find. I would usually traipse out of my way to find a good shop, and this could be a good resource for others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

...Maybe its the reason the small local butcher,greengrocer,baker,etc...have survived in countries like Germany,France,Switzerland..and havnt been killed off by the major supermarkets.

Advertisement