Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I entitled to?

Options
  • 08-08-2008 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi was wondering if someone cud help with my confusion. im starting back doing a plc course in september an have applied for the Vtos scheme and was wondering am i entitled to the maintanence grant aswell? i dont live at home an i am 22 yrs old so im not a "mature student" and i dont have a job. im gettin worried as i must travel bout 1 hr everyday 2 get to college an im afraid after petrol & stuff i wont be able to afford 2 live??

thanks in advance :o

Comments

You may indeed be.

I did a quick search on studentfinance.ie and found this which might be handy (about the Back to Education Allowance).

You're able to be eligible for the BTEA and the grant at the same time, so I assume so. The best people to give you the answer would be the VEC you'd be applying to, of course.

Not being a mature student you would be assessed on your income and your parents'/guardians' income too, irregardless if you're actually 'dependent' on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 linkaz

Thanks for that, i just found out through the VEC that cos im only 22 i will be assessed on my parents income even thou i dont live at home and im not dependant on them, which im angry about because if i was 23 i would have got the grant. I should have just waited untill im 23 altogether but its too late 2 back out now. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Hi, I assume by the fact that you are entering a VTOS course you are out of work at least 6 months. If you have been getting a welfare payment for 12 months you are entitled to an extra weekly allowance of €31.80 (on top of the VTOS payment which is equivalent to highest rate of JB). This is paid automatically by VTOS every week (its not paid for the first few weeks but is backdated). There is also an allowance paid for travel depending on how far it is to the VTOS centre, but this is minimal.

The VTOS co-ordinator at the college will be able to tell you all the neccesary info. Hope this helps.

Advertisement