Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of NOOB questions about O2 prepay, and iPhone 3G ..

Options
  • 08-08-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hullo.
    I have a 3G iPhone on O2 Prepay. (I got lucky, dont hate me)
    I have a couple of questions. If anyone could take the time to answer, I would appreciate it very much.

-3G - Am I right in thinking it costs 1 cent per kilobyte on prepay? This is bloody expensive no?

-If I turn off 3G and the E comes up, I presume that means I'm using Edge. Is this still 1 cent per kilobyte?

- Stupid question - If I'm in a wifi area, how do I use my iPhones wifi without getting charged for internet by O2?

- Weather, GPS etc - Do I get charged for using these? Appearantly I do.

- If I were to go over to bill pay, for the sake of cheaper internet, is there a way to use the iPhone as a modem with my computer?

Thanks for any reply!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

womoma wrote: »
    -3G - Am I right in thinking it costs 1 cent per kilobyte on prepay? This is bloody expensive no?

-If I turn off 3G and the E comes up, I presume that means I'm using Edge. Is this still 1 cent per kilobyte?
    Yup. O2 is crazily expensive for data.

- Weather, GPS etc - Do I get charged for using these? Appearantly I do.
    You don't if you are using wifi.
    - If I were to go over to bill pay, for the sake of cheaper internet, is there a way to use the iPhone as a modem with my computer?
    You can. But no official way.. Steve Jobs obviously didnt see it as a business feature :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

jmccrohan thanks for taking the time to answer.

I cant believe its 1 cent per kb. That means, if I wanted to download a 4mb mp3 from the internet on my iphone, it would cost me a whopping 40 euro.

Crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Crazy pricing yes .. but not really in comparison to the whole Irish market.

If you want prepay data then switch to 3 (I don't like them personally, there's plenty of threads on this forum though with similiar and differing views) or hang on for Meteor to launch their prepay data plans (which we're all assuming is Sept / Oct). Can only assume that O2 will follow suit then and no doubt Vodafone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you thought of unlocking it and sticking in a 3 sim.....that's what i'd be doing.......

drunkmonkey stumbles off to find his 5mp Touchscreen LG Viewty to take snaps of more silly people in silly situations........:D

Has the 3G iPhone been cracked already?

? sorry. Im clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

random wrote: »
    or hang on for Meteor to launch their prepay data plans (which we're all assuming is Sept / Oct).
    Lets hope they listened to the three of us :)

I just left Meteor to use my iPhone with an O2 sim card, but if and when I can safely unlock it for Meteor, when Meteor have 3G going on, I'll gladly jump the O2 ship. I really like Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

random wrote: »
    Crazy pricing yes .. but not really in comparison to the whole Irish market.

If you want prepay data then switch to 3 (I don't like them personally, there's plenty of threads on this forum though with similiar and differing views) or hang on for Meteor to launch their prepay data plans (which we're all assuming is Sept / Oct). Can only assume that O2 will follow suit then and no doubt Vodafone as well.

Try about 10 days for Meteor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

The 3g iphone is not unlocked yet. The pwnage app does only allow you install any app on it. But you can still not put any other sim in it.

chrislad wrote: »
    Try about 10 days for Meteor :)

Data plans being unveiled in 10days? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Meteor has already announced that they will start prepay data 99c per day. Similar offer to Voda but think Meteor gives you more than 50 MB per day. And on proxy.

flodis79 wrote: »
    Meteor has already announced that they will start prepay data 99c per day. Similar offer to Voda but think Meteor gives you more than 50 MB per day. And on proxy.

Ah yea sure we knew that. I thought you were talking about an actual data bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 conway

I've just bought an iphone 3g 16gb to use on vodafone as they offer 50mb download for 99c a day. I just hope the iphone 3g unlock comes out soon, if it doesn't ill have to sell the phone :(

conway wrote: »
    I've just bought an iphone 3g 16gb to use on vodafone as they offer 50mb download for 99c a day. I just hope the iphone 3g unlock comes out soon, if it doesn't ill have to sell the phone :(
    Do you realise than the vodafone offer is totally useless as it is via a proxy?

I dont understand how it useless could you please explain, cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just reading this thread lads, I'm wondering why people are still giving out about the 1GB bundled with the O2 tariffs.

1 cent per kilobyte is crazy, but 99c per day isn't exactly giving it away either.

The vodafone proxy is port 80 only*. That means everything else bar webbrowsing is blocked.

Means checking mail via builtin pop3/imap client is blocked as they use different ports

*it was anyways. they may have opened up a few other ports. nonetheless it is still via a proxy

Thanks jmccrohan,

Ill probably use wifi for everything but web browsing and check email via hotmail.com.

Conway you would be insane to sell the iphone. Best phone ever.

Conway you would be insane to sell the iphone. Best phone ever.
    Oh dear.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Oh dear.
    Care to expand? You might validate your "oh dear" comment by actually making a point.

Those sort of conceited comments piss me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Yup. O2 is crazily expensive for data.

You don't if you are using wifi.

You can. But no official way.. Steve Jobs obviously didnt see it as a business feature :rolleyes:

That's not strictly true. Using the Netshare app, you can use your iPhone as a modem without jailbreaking. Of course, you had to be one of the lucky ones to get it before it was taken down, though it could be put back up in the future.

mobius42 wrote: »
    That's not strictly true. Using the Netshare app, you can use your iPhone as a modem without jailbreaking. Of course, you had to be one of the lucky ones to get it before it was taken down, though it could be put back up in the future.
    Yea. That is an unofficial way. I never said it couldnt be done.

Yea. That is an unofficial way. I never said it couldnt be done.

Oh dear.

(See?, its easy to sound like a conceited prick without actually making a point, anyone can do it)

Advertisement