Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with connecting to Wireless

• 08-08-2008 5:06pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I keep getting this:
    wirelessnetworkprob.jpg
    When I try to connect to wireless. It was working fine earlier. Other wireless networks still work fine with my laptop but this will only connect locally. Any idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I think there may be a problem with your dns servers.. Im not sure tho :p

On a more helpful note, have you tried using other dns servers such as open dns to see if the problem really is with the wireless network's dns server?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You see now, I have no idea about dns apart from it makes host names into IP's and so on. What is open dns, some dns program? How could I use it to help. :s
    any info in ipconfig /all helpful? or anything I can check up in cmd?
    It seems to happen to other people around the world too, first google result:
    http://forums.techguy.org/networking/575198-wireless-network-issue-problem-dns.html
    I am also using vista business, by the by.

I just think it is odd that wireless does not work on this router but if I go to a friends my laptop works fine on their wireless especially since it worked earlier. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Could be a problem with your ISP's dns servers, change to opendns as they are usually faster and correct mistakes.To add opendns,
    Xp:
    Control panel -> open network connections -> click on your wireless card -> scroll down to tcp/ip -> click it and then click properties -> add 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as the dns servers
    Vista:
    Control panel -> open Network and sharing centre -> click manage network connections -> click on your wireless card -> scroll down to tcp/ipv4 -> click it and then click properties -> add 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as the dns servers

Best to restart after

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have you reset the router and laptop?

In cmd, run nslookup. It will show you your dns server. Type in a few websites and see does it give you back ip addresses. I doubt it will but if it does, lash those ip addresses back in and see can you get a host name back out again.

To use open dns you mearly have to change a setting or two on your net config. No software etc.

Best if I just give you a link to their instructions.. They'll explain it better :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You see now, I have no idea about dns apart from it makes host names into IP's and so on. What is open dns, some dns program? How could I use it to help. :s
    any info in ipconfig /all helpful? or anything I can check up in cmd?
    It seems to happen to other people around the world too, first google result:
    http://forums.techguy.org/networking/575198-wireless-network-issue-problem-dns.html
    I am also using vista business, by the by.

I just think it is odd that wireless does not work on this router but if I go to a friends my laptop works fine on their wireless especially since it worked earlier. :/

This is openDNS

http://www.opendns.org/

They're a set of DNS servers for general public use.

Have you already manually set DNS servers on any of the PCs, are you letting the router provide these details by DHCP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Have you reset the router

OP definitely recommend you trying this first. Most probably the solution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Could be a problem with your ISP's dns servers, change to opendns as they are usually faster and correct mistakes.To add opendns,
    Xp:
    Control panel -> open network connections -> click on your wireless card -> scroll down to tcp/ip -> click it and then click properties -> add 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as the dns servers
    Vista:
    Control panel -> open Network and sharing centre -> click manage network connections -> click on your wireless card -> scroll down to tcp/ipv4 -> click it and then click properties -> add 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as the dns servers

Best to restart after
    Cheers I'll give that a shot now. Have reset but some sites say reset for 15 mins, will try that too. Dunno why it would happen after working for months? Meh.
    jmccrohan wrote: »
    Have you reset the router and laptop?

In cmd, run nslookup. It will show you your dns server. Type in a few websites and see does it give you back ip addresses. I doubt it will but if it does, lash those ip addresses back in and see can you get a host name back out again.

To use open dns you mearly have to change a setting or two on your net config. No software etc.

Best if I just give you a link to their instructions.. They'll explain it better :)
    Thanks, I'll read that now.
    nslookup:
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    Default Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.1.1:53
    Spear wrote: »
    This is openDNS

http://www.opendns.org/

They're a set of DNS servers for general public use.

Have you already manually set DNS servers on any of the PCs, are you letting the router provide these details by DHCP?
    It's just automatic, no set dns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would the Vista equal of XP's
    netsh winsock reset catalog

do the trick?

I tried that the_syco to no avail. Tried changing to open dns and it said it could not connect to the primary dns 208.67.222.222. Hrmm. Changed back and got same old error. Thanks though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I tried that the_syco to no avail. Tried changing to open dns and it said it could not connect to the primary dns 208.67.222.222. Hrmm. Changed back and got same old error. Thanks though.

Can we see the output of "ipconfig /all" on the laptop. I'd like to see if it's pickup the DNS server address at all. Also, is there any kind of personal firewall, Zonealarm, Norton's etc. on the laptop?

• Advertisement

Macafee and avg and the normal windows firewall are on my pc, have them all off atm. Got rid of bitdefender recently.
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HAL
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-BF-AD-92-B4
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f96e:72df:7370:6be%10(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 August 2008 12:44:28
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 August 2008 12:44:27
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167779519
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-A5-0D-B8

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.4%13(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{D8FA4F76-DE1B-4C6C-87B6-E034AD9F1478}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

Macafee and avg and the normal windows firewall are on my pc, have them all off atm. Got rid of bitdefender recently.

It's certainly being given the routers IP to act as a DNS server, as it should.

Try ping boards.ie and microsoft.com and see what it produces.

After that try "ipconfig /flushdns" to empty the local DNS cache and then try the pings again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You've not added opendns to your wireless card

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f96e:72df:7370:6be%10(Preferred)
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 August 2008 12:44:28
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 August 2008 12:44:27
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167779519

You have it set to get it from modem/router its plugged in2. Maybe you could try again this time add oopendns to the Wireless LAN adapter.

Try pinging www.boards.ie, then 89.234.66.107

Why ahve you got Avg and McAfee? this can only be causing other problems as they both do the same thing and will conflict

Spear wrote: »
    It's certainly being given the routers IP to act as a DNS server, as it should.

Try ping boards.ie and microsoft.com and see what it produces.

After that try "ipconfig /flushdns" to empty the local DNS cache and then try the pings again.
    Sure thing, will do, cheers. Have a feeling it will just not ping it.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You've not added opendns to your wireless card

You have it set to get it from modem/router its plugged in2. Maybe you could try again this time add oopendns to the Wireless LAN adapter.

Try pinging www.boards.ie, then 89.234.66.107

Why ahve you got Avg and McAfee? this can only be causing other problems as they both do the same thing and will conflict
    I had opendns set and reverted back as it did not work, maybe I did it wrong, all I did was change the dns setings in the Wireless LAN adapter?
    I can try again if there is more to it. :)

Oh, I have mcafee becasue it came with the comp and avg because I don't want mcafee so am getting rid of it. They are never on together, no problems there.

As a vague musing, you have IPv6 turned on, even though it's not in use. You could try unbinding it, in case windows is giving priority to it over Ipv4. Under control panel -> network connections, pre ALT for the menu and choose advanced options, then untick the Ipv6 option next to the wireless adapter. Also while you're in that window try moving the wireless connection to the top of the list.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech.

As a vague musing, you have IPv6 turned on, even though it's not in use. You could try unbinding it, in case windows is giving priority to it over Ipv4. Under control panel -> network connections, pre ALT for the menu and choose advanced options, then untick the Ipv6 option next to the wireless adapter. Also while you're in that window try moving the wireless connection to the top of the list.
    Thanks for that, did it but to no avail. Didn't know alt brought those menus, cheers!

Here's my opendns ipconfig /all
    It works fine for other networks just not this wireless one.
    I can't ping websites as it is not connected to teh net, just connected locally.
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HAL
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 August 2008 21:35:29
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 August 2008 21:26:04
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-A5-0D-B8

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{D5AEB4ED-F909-46ED-BAB4-5941913C3C0A}
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.4%13(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{D8FA4F76-DE1B-4C6C-87B6-E034AD9F1478}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Input the Open DNS on your router, and leave the DHCP assign the router as the DNS server, see what happens, who are you with for BB?

MC

I'll give it a shot, ntl.

Hmm, no idea what to do.
    Here is a picture of the router settings, anything I could possibly change to help?
    :)

router.jpg

• Advertisement

Hmm, no idea what to do.
    Here is a picture of the router settings, anything I could possibly change to help?
    :)

That's for dynamic DNS, it's quite different from assigning DNS servers.

I just have a random page open there, I mean from the list on the left. I didn't really see where to put the open dns settings there?

I just have a random page open there, I mean from the list on the left. I didn't really see where to put the open dns settings there?

Under basic settings.

Hah! I don't know how I missed that. I set that to the opendns dettings along with the wireless adapter having them. It said could not connect to primary dns server, pinged the host and got no response(when I tried to diagnose and repair). I'll keep fiddling...

Hah! I don't know how I missed that. I set that to the opendns dettings along with the wireless adapter having them. It said could not connect to primary dns server, pinged the host and got no response(when I tried to diagnose and repair). I'll keep fiddling...

Can you ping the router and other PC's by IP at least? Otherwise, you could try removing the wireless adapter and reinstalling it.

What ip would the router have, on the routers page it seems to say it is 0.0.0.0 which isn't one. You mean reinstall my laptops wirelesl adapter, could that fix things? It can connect to other wireless networks. The only other laptop to tryto connect to the router is the gfs mac and that could not connect either, although it did not say why.

What ip would the router have, on the routers page it seems to say it is 0.0.0.0 which isn't one. You mean reinstall my laptops wirelesl adapter, could that fix things? It can connect to other wireless networks. The only other laptop to tryto connect to the router is the gfs mac and that could not connect either, although it did not say why.

Your router should be at 192.168.1.1 according to the ipconfig output posted earlier.

Advertisement