Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax after change of ownership

Options
  • 08-08-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought my car last month & the motor tax is due on it from this week. I received the change of ownership (VLC / VRC form) last week, and was expecting a reminder notice for the motor tax to be sent as well, but it hasn't yet arrived.

My question is, will a reminder be sent to me (the new owner), and if I do not receive a reminder where can I pay the motor tax? Can I drive the car till then?

The MotorTax.ie website only accepts a PIN which is sent out in the reminder form, so I cant pay it online without this reminder.

Thanks,
    ibook

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You won't get a reminder until you've taxed your car for the first time.

As soon as you have the VLC with your name on it, you can go to any motor tax office and get a new disc. You can also do it by post, but obviously that involves a wait.

The relevant form is here: https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

Print it out, fill it in, then bring it, your VLC, your NCT cert and your insurance cert to the motor tax office, or mail them off. Mail is a quick enough turnaround, around two weeks I found.

Technically it is an offence to drive a vehicle without a valid tax disc displayed. In practice, Gardai will give about 30 days grace, and if you carry around some form of proof of having sent off your renewal form, there won't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ibook

Thank you Seamus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I was in similar situation in January, I went to their office to pay tax, and they told me the form details doesn't match the ones they have on record, so they just amended them straight away. I got my disc a week later

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Saise

We're buying a second hand car trading in the old one. The tax on the new one is expired, but ours expires in 2 months time. Will we have to pay the full tax for the new car we're getting or will we just have to pay the balance?
    Anybody with the same experience?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Saise wrote: »
    We're buying a second hand car trading in the old one. The tax on the new one is expired, but ours expires in 2 months time. Will we have to pay the full tax for the new car we're getting or will we just have to pay the balance?
    Anybody with the same experience?

You have to pay the full tax for the new car, it doesn't transfer.

e.g. if you trade in a car with 11 months tax remaining then it goes with the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement