Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rational closing

Options
  • 08-08-2008 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

i must say i am very concerned about the recent news about Rational closing. What type of a gaurntee do you really have with these foriegn companies if you use them in ireland if they just run away at the first hurdle. Surely we should be supporting irish suppliers for all products, at least they have nowhere to run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do you work for Munster Joinery?
    Do you work for an Irish window manufacturer?
    Just curious....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

i must say i am very concerned about the recent news about Rational closing. What type of a gaurntee do you really have with these foriegn companies if you use them in ireland if they just run away at the first hurdle. Surely we should be supporting irish suppliers for all products, at least they have nowhere to run.

You are being a bit disengenous here with the wording of the post.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0808/jobs.html
    Rationel, which has manufactured timber windows and doors in Edenderry since 1987, intends to close its production facility with the loss of 71 jobs on 14 November.

Rationel will continue to develop its sales and service business in Ireland, employing more than 50 people.

Rationel (Ireland) is owned by the Denmark-based Rationel Vinduer A/S.

The company will now supply its five sales and service locations in Ireland from its factories in Denmark and Poland, while retaining and developing its service and distribution centre in Edenderry.

The slowdown in the construction industry is behind the decision to close the Edenderry plant.

'In the past, such downturns were compensated for by business from the UK but the weakness of UK sterling against the euro has largely closed this avenue off,' said Don O'Dowd, Managing Director of Rationel (Ireland).

'The employees in Edenderry have shown great skill and dedication but there is no realistic prospect of the manufacturing part of the business turning around.'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Do you work for Munster Joinery?
    Do you work for an Irish window manufacturer?
    Just curious....:)
    Look at his one and only other post for an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 housebuilder

No i do not work for a window manufacturer i am a retired architect, i develop a bit. I apologise for the title. I would openly admit i am a fan of munster joinery as i am a number of other irish window manufacturers. I am a great believer in supporting companies that invest locally and was saddened by Rationals haste in exiting the market. The retention of 50 staff members is all well and good but it shows no commitment towards a market they have profited from lucratively during the celtic tiger.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

housebuilder, the consumer issues forum may be better suited to this type of topic, also this is your second thread relating to MJ, any more and your banned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement