Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Maynooth like for mature students?

• 08-08-2008 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Thinking of applying for a course at Maynooth for September 2009. I'll be a mature student and I am wondering if many mature students go there and what is it generally like i.e. is it weird being around school leavers etc? cheers! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

There's a lot of mature students in NUIM. That's all I can say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Have tutored a bit in Maynooth; of an average class of 20 there would be about 4-5 mature students. Everyone gets on great! I dont know exactly what proportion of first years are on mature entry but it roughly seems to be about 15%.

They sit up the front in lectures and get the best marks, I'm sure you will love it! Also quite a diverse group, I had many late 20's students who would have worked for a while after school and decided on college long term, and every age in between from 23 to 65.

There are lots of formal supports for mature students but I dont think the transition is as difficult for most as the university prepare themselves for.

Any other questions, post away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

I made a few friends last year that were mature students, they seem to get on better as elfa said than the school leavers(me) over all they seem to be a very cool easy going bunch, they even get their own coffee room!
    Damn i was so jealous, when i seen that. Might try sneak in next year with a disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Think the official figures the college give out say that there are 15% mature students alright - it's meant to be the highest amount of any 3rd level college AFAIK.

Not a mature student, so can't really say what it's like, but have met plenty - as big as mix of people as any other group - some really sound, others gob****es! :) The mature student society is pretty active - doing trips & coffee mornings & all that; but (more importantly, I'd say) you also get a good mix of mature students getting involved in all the other clubs & socs too.

I'd say you should definitely look at Maynooth as a good option - it's a nice small college & you can easily get to know plenty of people, mature/immature alike!

Check out the Mature Students Office website - access.nuim.ie/mature - for the official propaganda; they could probably put you in touch with some students too if you wanted to talk it through with people who've been there.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Hi there, I am a mature student at nuim, and I have to say having gone to tcd that I would take nuim hands down any day. They are excptionally helpfull not just to mature students but to any studet that looks for help or is struggling. but they pride themselves on the amount of mature students they have in college, and are of the mindset that if you're going back to study then its because you reallywant to not cayseyou feel you have to. I could not recommend a college any better, the staff are so helpfull and accomodating especially the biology dept. I would have no hesitation recommending this college for mature student friendly:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Apologies, not such a good advocate for nuim :o have had a few and as a result have lost the ability to spell:rolleyes: DOH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah NUIM has the highest percentage of mature students of any University. That was 2 years ago so I assume it probably still does. So you won't be alone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 crohnic

Best uni in Ireland i'd say....though am a bit biased. Was there for a few years and all the staff are brilliant, helpful and supportive. The Academic Advisory Office are the most helpful friendly people you could wish to meet...Dr. Peter Carr and Rose Donovan were there...and if still there you'll find them brilliant! Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

I'm thinking of heading in 2009 as a mature student hopefully to do accounting and finance if I can get into it, has anyone else on here done this course? anyone have an idea of how many hours/ days a wk I would be in in first year?! seriously have to sort out my finances if i cant work during the week lol. Also is it hard to become a qualified accountant after completing the course?

Advertisement