Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pgce/hdip

• 08-08-2008 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i was wondering if anyone knew if an (irish born) teacher with a PGCE is allowed to teach primary school in the republic or ireland or do you need a hdip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dna

if you do a PGCE in primary Ed in UK you are qualified to teach in Ireland, once you complete an Irish exam SCG, its a bit like the leaving cert, and there are preparation courses run all over the country to help you study. The other option is the post grad here in Ireland at Pats etc or the Hibernia course. ALL teachers who start teaching in a primary school in Ireland have to do a probation year, regardless of where they have trained, which is usually called the 'Dip' year. If you train in UK you cant do probation year until you have completed the SCG exam.

I trained in UK and loved it, would def recommend it.

Have a look at www.scgweb.ie for info on the Irish exam, and if you read the posts on www.educationposts.ie under Primary employees, message board, scg or dip.

Best of luck, hope you go for it, it's a great career!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

dna wrote: »
    ...probation year, regardless of where they have trained, which is usually called the 'Dip' year. If you train in UK you cant do probation year until you have completed the SCG exam.

I trained in UK and loved it, would def recommend it.

Hi-
    Thanks a mil, did not realise you couldn't complete your probation year until after the Irish exam. I am starting the PGDE course next week in Scotland. Cannot wait! Have been sub-teaching for the past year and loved it.
    Could you tell me, do you know if the 5 years in which you have to sit the exam starts right after you're qualified, or right after you start your first job in Ireland?...because I was thinking of staying Edinburgh or Glasgow to teach for a year after I'm qualified, just for the experience of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dna

it only starts from when you come home.
    Best of luck in Scotland!

Advertisement