Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrick-on-Suir

Options
  • 08-08-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

can anyone tell me whats carrick on suir like to live in? i heard it has a bad reputation? im going to be moving down that way so just wondering!
    also if anyone has a room to rent il take it!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Carrick...Not the first place in the world I'd choose to live to be honest.

Some people will come along to defend it maybe but it remains one of the most depressed towns in Ireland as regards employment; I often feel like the Celtic Tiger gave Carrick a miss.

Sites like this paint a bad picture of the place but I find that the people who live there can often be the greatest in the world just waiting to catch a break in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

it's like any town really, there's some good people and some bad people.

To be honest, theres **** all to do only go out at weekends, no cinema, no pool hall, no bowling, nothing really. you have to drive 25 mins to clonmel, or waterford to actually do something thats not alcohol related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

It doesn't have the best reputation, but if you're going to be moving there just go there with an open mind and decide for yourself. Sometimes places aren't half as bad as people make them out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 samanthacarter

I live in Carrick but I found since having kids. I would much prefer to live somewhere else as the playground is a disgrace, it is dirty, I don't bring my kids there anymore, I go to Clonmel, Moincoin or Waterford for playground, childminders in Carrick are a joke (they either charge you a bomb or let you down at the last moment), luckily a few creches/afterschool care have opened last year, I wasn't impressed with any of the primary schools either. Apart the kids side, I did not mind before living in Carrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

Carrick is a dump. There's no bookshop in the whole town. Wtf?? There's a library, but it's not exactly up to date.

There's no lads clothes shop.

The one nightclub in town is a joke. And there's nothing else to do other than drink or take up some sort of hobby. Well I suppose you could go for a walk around the park, but that only takes 4minutes and then you're back to boredom.

There's a nickname for this town you know - Carrick-on-Sewer. I like to call it Carrick-on-shyte.

Move to waterford instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

0utpost31 wrote: »
    Carrick is a dump. There's no bookshop in the whole town. Wtf?? There's a library, but it's not exactly up to date.

There's no lads clothes shop.

The one nightclub in town is a joke. And there's nothing else to do other than drink or take up some sort of hobby. Well I suppose you could go for a walk around the park, but that only takes 4minutes and then you're back to boredom.

There's a nickname for this town you know - Carrick-on-Sewer. I like to call it Carrick-on-shyte.

Move to waterford instead!
    Your talking a load of ****e imo, It's people that make a town and you wont meet better people than the carrick crowd.mr tim you will have a great time there, let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

tippspur wrote: »
    Your talking a load of ****e imo, It's people that make a town and you wont meet better people than the carrick crowd.mr tim you will have a great time there, let us know how you get on.

Totally agree with tippspur on this. lived in carrick for 21 years then moved to bright lights of waterford-now in the clubs here.
    When tippspur says 'its the people that make a town' i couldnt agree agree more-look at the support shown as a town for the carrick utd team during their amazing run this year for example-made me proud to be from carrick!
    Someone else says oh yeah move to waterford-trust me i live here and its the biggest scumhole there is. Its full of nothing but people who are walking opinions of themselves.
    As for the one nightclub in the town-its a small town wat do you expect-its not a city. I have worked there for 2 years and wouldnt come across a nicer bunch of people. I have a funny feeling tippspur works here aswell and used to be my boss lol.
    No clothes shops for men- eh what kinda business does Bourkes and Outfield Sports do???!!!!!
    True we might not have the best facilities for a town this size but we're kinda like iarnrod eireann up this way-we're not there yet but we're getting there lol.

"No Bookshop", "And there's nothing else to do other than drink or take up some sort of hobby."................
    ................ Seriously Outpost31 you would want to get up off your backside and stop making out that taking up a hobby is a bad thing and actually take a look around the town for yourself before you go tarring it!
    In my opinion its more laziness on your part.
    Look at the sporting teams carrick has to offer- 2 top soccer teams, 3 top hurling teams, numerous clubs for boxing and martial arts, Cycling clubs- you name it we probably have it,not the same effects as books is it ya ponce lol. Get up of your backside and get a life!!!!!!!
    As looder says " it's like any town really, there's some good people and some bad people. " - True there is a few people that give us a bad name but in fairness look at Waterford - Travellers getting away with bloody murder down there, ramming each others cars on the busiest street in the city on a saturday nite, stabbings left right and centre, petrol bombong of houses - its crazy down there! I think this kind of sums up the type of people in Waterford:
    "jaysus i dont like your hat boi"..................... Thats a beating
    "Whats your lack looking at me like that for eh boi"............Oh you better believe thats a beating
    "I just passed me leaving cert".................Lucky to get away with your life with that one lol
    Just to sum it up for you Outpost31- Look at your own hometown/City before you pass judgement on another place after all if theres any place that would be worse than Carrick-on-Suir its Waterford City!!!!!!!!

Well said Anon0000,what you say all very true imo.by the way i am not originally from carrick (about 7 miles up the clonmel road) and i def was never your boss,:)but me and the wife lived in the town for eight years during the 80s and made a lot of friends there which we still have to this day,I also played for carrick utd for all of those eight years and was in the middle of that carrick crowd in the RSC when they won the fai jun cup. need i say we had great night in carrick that night.

Eh lads I lived in carrick for 9 years so calm down. I may even know ye folks. And why attack me? What about the other posters talking shyte about carrick?
    theres **** all to do only go out at weekends

Look at that!!!
    the Celtic Tiger gave Carrick a miss.

and that!!!

what about..
    Carrick...Not the first place in the world I'd choose to live

Don't forget...
    you have to drive 25 mins to clonmel or waterford to actually do something thats not alcohol related.

and
    I would much prefer to live somewhere else

I didn't say any of that!!!!

Anyways, as I said, lived there for 9 years, went to 2ndary school there (cbs) it was a useless school. The Tech is better but not by much. I think a few teachers actually left the CBS to join the Tech!

Ok maybe I focused on the bad points. That bookshop thing pisses me off though because the one book I ever wanted to buy the day it was released couldn't be found in all of carrick. Because there was no bookshop. And it's a famous book. The no bookshop thing just struck a chord with me and I ain't a bookworm ponce by the way. I do do karate by the way but not in carrick and I can chop a book in half with my bare toe.

Sports in carrick wasn't the greatest for me either. I liked hurling and soccer but never joined any clubs, I was into skating and bmxing and wherever I found a good spot to practice there were about 50 scumbags throwing rocks and bottles and punches. The one time I fought back I got 20 people laying kicks into me on the ground and broke my finger while protecting my head from kicks. It's the poeple that make the town eh? I know you might say that this could happen anywhere but I'm talking about carrick right now.

Ye forgot to mention the theatre in carrick in the list of stuff to do. And golf. Theres a new gym down the quay as well. The town should have a cinema though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ilovelove

Outpost I dont think theres anything wrong with what you said, when you live somewhere for 9 years you can make up your own mind on the place as Im sure you would know it better than most. Keep the posts coming by the way, they always give me a laugh!:pac:

• Advertisement

About the clothes shops for lads thing.

Bourkes is for old men and country folk that come from the mountains and rathgormack of a saturday to do a bit of shopping. I've had confirmation from other carrick lads that Bourkes is in fact useless and they would go to waterford or clonmel for clothes. These are born and bred carrick heads by the way.

There was only one guy that actually defended carrick today but he was from little Faugheen so it doesn't count. He has to come from faugheen to Carrick to get stuff done like banking and shopping etc. so carrick is like New York City for him.

Anon0000 wrote: »
    True we might not have the best facilities for a town this size but we're kinda like iarnrod eireann up this way-we're not there yet but we're getting there lol.

Doesn't look like we'll ever get there but it's a good town slogan nonetheless.

By the way my friend worked in the council and she told me that carrick is grouped with some other Irish towns into what was essentially a crap town section on the government database. These towns are flagged for much needed extra funding. Tipperary town is in the same section and a few others I can't remember.

Oh yeah I suppose I better balance this out with a good aspect of Carrick just to be fair: It has a college! Did you know that? Yes, computer classes are held in the park hotel! Imagine being in class and some auld lad walks thru like "ah jaysis i was just havin a pint in the bar there, where's the bog i've ta take an auld shyte".

Not sure if they do classes there anymore but my friend attended them a year or two ago.

Now I'm going to pack my bags and run away from carrick to waterford. Anon0000 do you know of any rooms to rent? Can I crash in your house while I look?

0utpost31 wrote: »
    Doesn't look like we'll ever get there but it's a good town slogan nonetheless.

The problem is that since the Tannery closed down there hasn't been anything else remotely like an industry in town, just like a mining town from Nothern England in the 1980's.

I'm from the Ballypatrick-Kilsheelan part of the world for those who know; went to the CBS as a teenager. Carrick is a depressing place. You can defend it as much as you like and I imagine that if you like there then you have the right to do so against people who aren't from there slagging off your town. But in the end of the day it is lacking in a lot of things (except pubs). Without steady employment on a large scale the town is going to remain 'depressed'.

A small town is a small town, I mean what the fcuk do you expect. ten bookshops a dozen clothes shops, a dozen restaurants or whatever.if thats what you want go live in waterford or dublin,jaysus everyone knows carrick was left behind when it came to jobs, you didnt have to do a survey of carrick friends to find that out.It's just as well outpost31 doesn't live in ballypatrick or kilsheelan or he would have died of boredom by now.you cant buy a book in these places either.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

move to cahir co.tipp area

A small town is a small town, I mean what the fcuk do you expect. ten bookshops a dozen clothes shops, a dozen restaurants or whatever.

One of each would do for a start :)

There are a lot of small towns in Ireland that have restaurants, book shops and such. You don't have to go to Dublin to find these things.

A small town is a small town, I mean what the fcuk do you expect. ten bookshops a dozen clothes shops, a dozen restaurants or whatever.

Bejaysus will ya calm down! Actually are there any restaurants that aren't chinese in carrick?
    It's just as well outpost31 doesn't live in ballypatrick or kilsheelan or he would have died of boredom by now.you cant buy a book in these places either.:P

Oh jaysus don't get me started about Kilsheelan.:pac: A village with no shops - can you believe that?!!

Only risin' ya.... kilsheelan's grand, shur tis only a village I don't expect much. It actually has more than you'd expect -

3 shops,

4 pubs,

a GAA pitch,

school,

a new shoping kind of center almost complete,

a big tree,

a garda station,

petrol station,

car sales,

hairdresser

post office/aib banking

horse stud

chipper (those turkish guys do a savage half-pounder).

And that's only a village. Not a commercial center.

But with a town of 6000 people at least one of them should want a book or a daycent set of casual clothes. My friend got his debs outfit in bourkes and the suit was supposed to be black but the top and bottom were different shades of greyish browny black.

jayus you know more about Kilsheelan than carrick,:),O Callachauns (dats prob spelt wrong )is a great place for the grub in carrick.by the way i see that a girl of 16 got shot in waterford the other night, i hope the starter of this thread doesn't take your advice and move there cos if he does he might have to buy a bulletproof vest with all the shootin thats going on there lately..I wonder if burkes sell bulletproof vests ? probably get the wrong shade anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

jayus you know more about Kilsheelan than carrick,:),O Callachauns (dats prob spelt wrong )is a great place for the grub in carrick.by the way i see that a girl of 16 got shot in waterford the other night, i hope the starter of this thread doesn't take your advice and move there cos if he does he might have to buy a bulletproof vest with all the shootin thats going on there lately..I wonder if burkes sell bulletproof vests ? probably get the wrong shade anyway.;)

O'Ceallachains is a good spot for porter and grub as well - any of us originally from Carrick can probably remember when the only and I mean only place in town to get something to eat during the day was the Comeragh - hang sandwiches and oxtail soup. Pikes who ran the original Besborough Arms (before the Weekes bought it) used to serve food as well but only at meal times. Other than that your only choices were Tinvane hotel or some of the chippers - Mary Heffernans at the Westgate being one:(

josh59 wrote: »
    Mary Heffernans at the Westgate being one:(

£1 for a bag of chips, sausage and can of coke in 1987

I used get there early when the lard was still melting in the fryers...

Jayses Mary Heffernans, had forgotten all about that place,brings back memories of weekends on the piss in carrick and heading to marys for grub afterwards..:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Jayses Mary Heffernans, had forgotten all about that place,brings back memories of weekends on the piss in carrick and heading to marys for grub afterwards..:p

And the chips were fried in lard - she used to have boxes of Clover Meats Lard on the shelves over the fryer and of course everything was wrapped up in newspaper.

I think Ella Power opened a chipper in the same building many years later and Abrakababra are there now.

They were mighty chips. lard and newspaper. I used fancy the daughter of the pub opposite (Kehoes?) so often found myself in the area ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Did the daughter know?....More important...Did the father know..lol.Did you ever get a date?...or did you just increase the chippers profit?;)

josh59 wrote: »
    And the chips were fried in lard - she used to have boxes of Clover Meats Lard on the shelves over the fryer and of course everything was wrapped up in newspaper.

I think Ella Power opened a chipper in the same building many years later and Abrakababra are there now.
    Yeah that's the place ok..surely ye lads must remember 'the death wagon' that used to park outside the swan club area at weekends, glad im still alive to tell the tale about it...God the stuff we used to eat after a feed of beer..:eek:

Was the the same chipper that used to come to the tech/mon at lunchtimes ?

Ponster wrote: »
    Was the the same chipper that used to come to the tech/mon at lunchtimes ?
    Probably was, and your alive to tell the tale aswell..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 daisychain

Ye're all showing yeer age lads :p

"The wagon" is still going around town, dunno if it's the same one referred to above but it's fairly shook anyway. (Noel Drohan used to own it)

The food isn't too bad in it now, but it'll never beat Fats Quans :)

daisychain wrote: »
    Ye're all showing yeer age lads :p

"The wagon" is still going around town, dunno if it's the same one referred to above but it's fairly shook anyway. (Noel Drohan used to own it)

The food isn't too bad in it now, but it'll never beat Fats Quans :)
    That wagon you're on about is not bad at all. but defo not 'the death wagon'..Fats used to do a great batter burger, ohh the grease...:P

It 'used' to be the death wagon about 20 years ago :)

Does Fats do anything decent anymore? Spudballs?

I'm off home (Kilsheelan) in about 4 hours for the first time in about a year so a trip into town for chips will be happening !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 daisychain

They do but they often run out of spudballs early on in the night due to unprecedented demand.
    They only open 5pm to 10pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights now :eek:

Sunday night is usually when we want them, if we've had a heavy one the night before. There's no cure like a Fats cure :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement