Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrick-on-Suir

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

daisychain wrote: »
    They do but they often run out of spudballs early on in the night due to unprecedented demand.
    They only open 5pm to 10pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights now :eek:

Sunday night is usually when we want them, if we've had a heavy one the night before. There's no cure like a Fats cure :D

"Fats" is now run by Michael's (Quans) daughter Marion and hubby Bobby Sheehan - they tend not to open late at night these times - happy enough with the business they do before pub closing time I reckon. Used to see them doing a brisk trade around 9:30 to 10 on a Saturday night if I was back in town to see the mother and was heading for the Strand Bar for a few libations - now drink in O'Cealachains when I'm back in town and the ma lives over the bridge so no temptation to go for a feed as there's no chipper on my way home.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Ponster wrote: »
    It 'used' to be the death wagon about 20 years ago :)

Does Fats do anything decent anymore? Spudballs?

I'm off home (Kilsheelan) in about 4 hours for the first time in about a year so a trip into town for chips will be happening !
    There's a fairly good chipper in kilsheelan now...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It isnt called "Chipper" anymore is it?

callaway92 wrote: »
    It isnt called "Chipper" anymore is it?
    No it's not, a previous owner had that very original name on the place,think it's called pizza bar now..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

0utpost31 wrote: »

Anyways, as I said, lived there for 9 years, went to 2ndary school there (cbs) it was a useless school. The Tech is better but not by much. I think a few teachers actually left the CBS to join the Tech!
    Ponster wrote: »
    I'm from the Ballypatrick-Kilsheelan part of the world for those who know; went to the CBS as a teenager. Carrick is a depressing place. You can defend it as much as you like and I imagine that if you like there then you have the right to do so against people who aren't from there slagging off your town. But in the end of the day it is lacking in a lot of things (except pubs). Without steady employment on a large scale the town is going to remain 'depressed'.
    Ha ha ha, my dad probably taught both of you...:p

Carrick is a dive, and its gotten much much worse over he years...the stuff I hear about from my dad, and my nan (who lives outside carrick) is awful.

I will say that jacks chipper is lovely. Carrick is a town that is engorging itself. It has nothing going on, and no inclination to change that. All that said, my granddad loved walkng along the riverbank, and the staff at greenhill are by far the nicest of any nursing home staff I've ever met.

There are a few aspects of carrick that could make it good....but there is far to high a trashy scumbag population to get itoff the ground. Its not the worst place in Tipp, but its far from the best.

• Advertisement

P-I-P you have slagged off nearly every town in tipp on these threads except for Clonmel,jasus it must be a great place.or maybe your just a WUMMER,,,;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

I have a soft spot for Carrick but only because it is my home town. I realise that it has serious socioeconomic problems and has been in the doldrums for years.
    I have seen little or no change in it over twenty years.
    The only new developments in it like Lidel presumably contribute little to the economy of the town aside from the jobs provided, and I presume that wouldn't exactly be high paid jobs.

On the plus side because it has so little I reckon this recession will effect it very little!

tippspur wrote: »
    P-I-P you have slagged off nearly every town in tipp on these threads except for Clonmel,jasus it must be a great place.or maybe your just a WUMMER,,,;):rolleyes:

A wummer?
    ahthrough the magic of urban dictioanry, I found out what you meant. No, not one of those. Opinionated? Yup. A wummer? Nope.

I like my little home town, its not the best town, but it has good points. I certqainly appreciate it much much more now that I'm living in Dublin, I want to move back to home (or near it) Fethard, newcastle, kilshelan all are nice. Cashel is ok, I just think its quiet, and anything else I've heard about it is from someone whos word I doubt. Quiet is kinda what I want anyways. Its time to settle down and reproduce.

I'm sure every town is grand once you're from there. Carrick was much nicer years ago, but its not somewhere I'd go after dark, it is quite rough. Now the same can be said bout anywhere else its true.

P-I-P what i meant by WUMMER was Wind Up Merchant,maybe you got a different meaning from urban dictionary...

Yeah thats the definition that made the most sense that I got (it was there for wum) wummer was something totally crazy.

Anyways, no, I'm not one of those....

I briefly contemplated taking offense, but then decided not to. I just have a lot of opinions, I've to a lot of places or know people from a lt of places, around tipp.

• Advertisement

matc66 wrote: »
    I have a soft spot for Carrick but only because it is my home town. I realise that it has serious socioeconomic problems and has been in the doldrums for years.
    I have seen little or no change in it over twenty years.
    The only new developments in it like Lidel presumably contribute little to the economy of the town aside from the jobs provided, and I presume that wouldn't exactly be high paid jobs.

On the plus side because it has so little I reckon this recession will effect it very little!

My brother was home on hols for 3 weeks last month and was having a few pints with some of the lads in O'Cealachains the night before he went back. He reckoned he was hearing the same conversations that he heard when he first headed for Oz in the mid 1980's - doom and gloom etc. And he said talking to some of his old school mates etc many who have been away and come back all said that the Celtic Tiger missed Carrick. As a regular visitor home (and not as often as I'd like) I can only comment that having been a town with probably one of the highest number of pubs in Ireland it now has the highest number of bookies, haridressers/beauty salons and delicatessens whihc no doubt were all set up to gather in as much Celtic Tiger money as possibly - so what's going to happen now. To walk down Lough Street would depress you - a few businesses at the top - newsagent, Kevin Dalton, Sam McCauley etc but at the bottom end every other premies for sale or to let.

When the tannery finally coughed it's last in the 19080's, and then Schiesser on the Clonmel road and Knitech in the old Mercy on Greystone Street the soul of the town died and although a few odds and sods have replaced these industries nothing of note has stuck (remember Rexnord).

It's a pity and what does'nt help the commercial situation is the idiotic parking regulations in town - imagine having to pay 20 cents to park while you nip into Tony Clerys for a newspaper, all fo two minutes :(and the traffic doesn't help either - it took my mother 20 minutes to get accross the New Bridge from Carrick Beg on Monday.

When you look at other similar sized commuter towns - the one I know of is Trim in Co. Meath - the buzz around the place is noteworthy - something that is missing in Carrick :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As josh noted Carrick has lost a lot of industries over the past 30 years and very few have appeared to replace them.

Who's responsibility it this? National (IDA) or local government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

anon0000 what are you on about waterford is nowhere near as bad as you make out. Carrick is grand have family up there. Anyone from there probably know them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shinjuku

Carrick is where all tumbleweed comes from.

Shinjuku wrote: »
    Carrick is where all tumbleweed comes from.

Are you speaking from personal knowledge or like many are you one of the keepers of the generally biased attitude that permeates through Irish society towards natives of rural towns - this painting them all with the same brush ?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shinjuku

I know carrick very very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I like Carrick. Me mother isfron a little village a few miles outside it. Faugheen. Have cousins living in Carrick, ther all fecking mental, not in a bad way like. They used to live in Ballylynch (think thats what its called), that used to be fun calling upto them, I know where they are now I just dont know the name of it, although I think one of em is still in Ballylynch. Anyone that knows carrick will porbably know me cousins :)

I used to live in Ballylynch mesef,for a couple of years in late 80s...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

seanybiker wrote: »
    I like Carrick. Me mother isfron a little village a few miles outside it. Faugheen.

Was drinking there last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

well ive lived in carrick all my life(29 years)
    it has good points and bads points.
    there's feck all to do but if u have a car waterford is near
    no cinema or decent bookshop(sorry tony)
    great musical society and sports teams
    90% of the people are very nice and good craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

smilerf wrote: »
    it has good points and bads points.

no different to most other towns in the country so !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

hi. ive lived in carrick all my life and its like any other town on this lovely little island of ours. if you look for trouble you will get it. im 28 years here and ive never been in a single fight. theres loads to do too. we have 3 gaa clubs, a swimming pool, two gyms, two golf courses , the oldest motor club i the country ( i think) , a boxing club, athletics club, cubs, scouts, and alot more . too many to think of. all without the renting expense of waterford or clonmel , but within short driving distance of the two named . take a chance. i think you will be surprised.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Living in Faugheen myself atm! Absolute heroic little village! :D

Not agreeing with people that put Carrick down...fair enough it has a few undesirable people alright but every town in the country does now. And to the poster who said Waterford was nicer or something I went to De La Salle in Waterford so I think I could say which is better and in what ways...I feel the "naker" element is far more prevalent in Waterford and if Carrick was the city the size of Waterford the it would be a nicer city.

Carrick has 3 GAA clubs (Carrick Swans being the best) ;), 3 secondary schools, the girls school especially with a good reputation, a high quality tennis club which I a part of myself which nobody seems to have mentioned, a swimming pool, 2 gyms, a boating club I think, a kind of mini-dock, a nationally recognised athletic club where all-ireland champions train, a cycling club, a swimming club, a rugby club, 2 soccer clubs, many shops/chinese restaurants and bookies! One nightclub which everyone just calls "The Disco" :p It has a library and a theatre and a top notc musical society. A fishing club, a gun club, heard something of a chess club too I think! I'd say there's a lot more but that's off the top of my head! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Carrickbhoy

Yeah that's the place ok..surely ye lads must remember 'the death wagon' that used to park outside the swan club area at weekends, glad im still alive to tell the tale about it...God the stuff we used to eat after a feed of beer..:eek:

Mickey Wallace used to own the death wagon i remember it well ha ha

Mickey Wallace used to own the death wagon i remember it well ha ha
    he must have had it before noel drohan???? thats a long time ago now bhoy.

Noel drohan is gone from that wagon with a long time too joe,Vinnie power has it now.

Noel drohan is gone from that wagon with a long time too joe,Vinnie power has it now.
    oh yeah . i know that. but the grub isnt as nice as when noel had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

I am not from carrick but i have drank there on a few occasions, i found the people to be friendly and welcoming.

It has a few scum who give a nice town a bad name, it happens everywhere.

If you are only looking for accomadition then go for it.

You have a 20 minute drive to either Waterford or Clonmel for your shopping etc.

Carrick has good pubs and restaurants and some other nice shops.

Nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lockie83

I live in Clonmel but I work in Carrick and I have to say Carrick is not that bad of a place, everyone is very welcoming and I can't tell ya the number of people that I pass on a daily basis who say hello, how are you, without even knowing ya, you wouldn't get that in Clonmel.

Sure Carrick has it rough side but sure doesn't every where. All in all its not that bad of a town at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AngieD

Hi! I moved to Carrick on Suir from America. At first I thought it was the answer to all my prayers! History galore! Warm people, lovely country, perfect for kids, Chinese food 5 minute walk from my house!!

Then I made one person unhappy - only one!! Well in days the Practically whole town hated me and started crazy rumors, etc.. Needless to say I had to move.

I've since heard Carrick is a very inbred area, people saying to me, "don't you notice how everyone has brown hair, round faces, similar eyes etc.."?:eek: Then it all made perfect sense to me!! Sorry if I offended anyone, just my experience and after I was treated like crap I left with a pretty bad taste for the place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement