Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to say when defering...

Options
  • 08-08-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to defer my place next week (if i get it) but i imagine u do more than sending out the little stub at the end of the offer so has anyone here defered their place from last year and if so could u tell me what u said and wat ur reasons were?

i'm taking a year out cause 1) i need money 2) i didn't do 4th year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I'm hoping to defer my place next week (if i get it) but i imagine u do more than sending out the little stub at the end of the offer so has anyone here defered their place from last year and if so could u tell me what u said and wat ur reasons were?

i'm taking a year out cause 1) i need money 2) i didn't do 4th year

i haven't deferred a place and don't know anyone who has but if you could phrase it so that it looks like you want to get relevant work experience related to your course i'd say that would be good. what course do you hope to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I don't see why you can't just be honest. I'd just explain briefly that you're deferring for financial reasons and then I guess it wouldn't hurt to justify your certainty that you'll be in a better position to start 3rd level next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I guess you could say because you didn't do fourth year you don't feel old and mature enough to go into college, so you feel a year out to work and stuff would be beneficial, as then you would be in a better mindset to start college well? I'm not even sure why they care for a reason, I mean, all it means is there's one less space on that course for the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I agree that you should be honest. Financial difficulties and a belief that you would be more mature/experienced and better prepared for 3rd level next year sound like quite sound reasons for seeking a deferral.

Just to confirm, by the way, that you do need to write and explain, and not just return the stub. The granting of a deferrral is not automatic. The following is from the CAO handbook (p4):

A) Seeking a deferral:
    If the HEI has confirmed that it operates deferred entry to the course in question, on receipt of an Offer Notice:
    1. Do NOT accept the offer in the manner shown on the Offer Notice.
    2. Write IMMEDIATELY to the Admissions Office of the appropriate HEI, setting out the reason(s) for the request. Mark "DEFERRED ENTRY" clearly on the envelope.
    3. You must attach to the letter the appropriate part of the Offer Notice, i.e. that which shows the offer you wish to be deferred.
    4. The letter must arrive in the Admissions Office at least two days before the "Reply Date" shown on the Offer Notice.
    5. The HEI will communicate the decision to you. If the deferral is not granted, you may then accept the offer for the current year.
    6. You must send all communications about deferral to the appropriate Admissions Offices and NOT to CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I don't see why you can't just be honest. I'd just explain briefly that you're deferring for financial reasons and then I guess it wouldn't hurt to justify your certainty that you'll be in a better position to start 3rd level next year.

financial reasons is perfect ! :)

and i don't wanna say the "wanna be mature" thing cause they might view it as PSH whatever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

When i deferred i just said i needed to take a year out to work and save for uni.No real need to say you don't think you're mature enough.

Advertisement