Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which exam next?

Options
  • 08-08-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just passed my CCNA ICND2 today. I already have an MCP (70-620: Vista). Which should be next?

The next 3 exams Im looking to get to achieve an MCSA qualification are:
    70-290: Server 2003 Environment
    70-291: Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    70-236: Exchange 2007

Should I try and get the 2 server 2003 exams done first or the exhange one?

I have very little if any experience with server 2003 and absolutely none with exchange.

Also is exchange a good choice as my elective? I was going to go down the 2008 route but there is more study material available for 2003 now and I can always upgrade again anyway.

I will basically be looking for a network admin (I suppose junior) job in November (working for myself atm) so want to study whichever is most important in order to get a job first.

I hope to continue to achieve my MCSE (and many other qualifications) after starting the new job.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I would have a go at the Windows 2003 server exam (70-290) because its not the toughest exam out there..

I gave up studying for the 70-291 exam as I didnt need it and being honest DNS/IP Addressing aint my strong point :)

Saying that, if you have the CCNA then the 291 one shouldnt be that bad, but remember the crucial element of this.. its a Microsoft Exam so you have to you to apply the axiom "What would Microsoft do" in some of the questions..

You can pick up the MCSA and then continue onto the MCSE once you have got that job..

So possibly a good way to go is 290 followed by 291 and then get 236 unless you have more experience in any particular section.. But as advice saying you have a CCNA, Vista MCTS and the 290 Server MCP you would be able to leverage that for your admin position I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks for the advice.
    Ginger wrote: »
    Saying that, if you have the CCNA then the 291 one shouldnt be that bad, but remember the crucial element of this.. its a Microsoft Exam so you have to you to apply the axiom "What would Microsoft do" in some of the questions..
    Thats the problem. I found the vista exam very wishy washy compared to the CCNA exam which gave you the problems and asked you for a solution straight up so you know what you have to answer instead having to first figure out what exactly they are asking first and then try and work out the answer.

All MS exams come with the criticism, that its partly a technology exam and the rest is based on your English comprehension!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

If i was you i wouldnt bother with exams. its just a scam. i have MS certifcations coming out of my arse after a spell of thinking they are useful. they arent. its your experience and referees that gets you an it position not certifications. Waste of time and money.

If i was you i wouldnt bother with exams. its just a scam. i have MS certifcations coming out of my arse after a spell of thinking they are useful. they arent. its your experience and referees that gets you an it position not certifications. Waste of time and money.
    I think in my case I need the certification since I only have experience working for myself and a 6 month stint in HP. In order to learn how to use server 2003 and exchange I will need to follow some sort of learning path i.e. some level of understanding to aim for. Once I have experience and access to the technologies on a day to day basis then I guess they will not be as important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

I have a MSCA + Messaging

I dont think the paper is worth much, to be honest unless your moving jobs and the paper can then backup your year experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I have a MSCA + Messaging

I think you mean MCSA (Microsoft Certified System Admin), unless you are in fact a "Microsoft Campus Agreement"..... Might want to change ur Sig ;)

Also with regards Certs, it depends on the Company, some think they are the be all and end all, others dont rate them that highly. At the end of the day i dont think there is any employers who will say, gosh look at all the Certs he has gotten this guy must be useless.....

If your going for a Job against someone with similar experience, the Certs might be the selling point that gets it for you. It also shows willingness to learn etc.

If you get to a level where your MS Certs mean nothing because you have so much experience, it might be time to look at bigger/better Certs to advance yourself/career.

I think im correct, but may be wrong please check link below

MCSA: Messaging on Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/messaging/windowsserver2003.mspx

You sig reads MSCA rather than MCSA :)

I moved country and my certs were a big help as well as my experience.. I find certs supplement the experience and give a bit of an edge.. Depends on your circumstances

Opps sorry and Thanks Lads :)

a small typo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

First off Congrats Axer!

I'll second what Ginger said, you should go for the 70-290 next.

yes 290 then 291, then choose exchange, isa sql or one of them!

Thanks for the advice guys. 290 it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

You would actually probably find the ISA exam easy enough Axer, its quite logical and similar (ish) to a firewall..

If you work with ISA at all it should be an easy pass

Advertisement