Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm on the 3 network - need to unlock sim

• 08-08-2008 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I'm a pay as you go customer on the 3 network. I have a sony ericsson k800i.

I need advice please. I need to get the my sim card unlocked so i can use it in other phones. I've a new japanese model phone which i want to use my sim card in. How would i go about this.

Or would i be able to go into a meteor or vodaphone shop and change to their network but keep my current number.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The sim isnt unlocked, it as the phone you have to unlock. Have you tried putting the sim in it, it could be unlocked. Make sure its a 3g phone though?

Yes you could to change to meteor/vodafone and keep your number, but this wouldnt nessicarly fix the problem. I suggest try the sim, if it doesnt work post back the error and the phone make and model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

you dont unlock a sim card, you unlock a phone..if it isnt already. try your sim card in your new phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

I have put my sim card into my phone. I can use the functions in the phone but cant make a call or anything. It says no sim card. Its a Ktech 720 phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

download the davinci team software to unlock t he phone. I think it'll cost you a tenner to unlock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not a 3g phone, so wont work with 3 network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

davton wrote: »
    Not a 3g phone, so wont work with 3 network
    eh? - how come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Webmonkey wrote: »
    eh? - how come

3 only have 3g masts. they roam onto vodafone in some places so if your 3 sim card is accepted by a 2g phone it still won't get coverage in a lot of the country
    eth0_ wrote: »
    download the davinci team software to unlock t he phone. I think it'll cost you a tenner to unlock it.

don't do this. from what you're describing there is no phone to unlock

i'm very confused here. firstly, the word "unlock" does not apply to a sim card.

am i right in saying that you have a 3 ireland sim card and you've put it into a japanese handset, a Ktech 720 and you can use the phone's features but it's telling you that you have no sim card in the phone?

is this the phone?
    http://www.mobilephoneworld.martbase.com/Ktech-720-5.0MP-CCD-TV-Dual-SIM-NES-Game-PDA-Phone-Dual-Camera,Dual-Bluetooth-2.0,Max-16GB,2000-Games_P92022/

if so, the reason it's not working is that it's not a 3g phone and only 3g phones work on 3.

if you want to use this phone in ireland, you'll have to go to one of the other networks' shops and buy a sim card. in the shop, they can give you a sim from their network with your number on it. the sim generally costs €10 and you get free credit with it when you register it online.

when swapping over, you'll have to bring your current sim card with you in a phone so they can call you to verify that you own the number. and make sure they copy your phone book from the old sim to the new one

edit: also you lose any credit that you have on 3 when you move over. and you'll have to get your k800i unlocked if you want to use a non-3 sim card in it. 3 will give you the unlocking code if you've spent €130 in credit and pay them a €25 unlocking fee but you can most likely get it done cheaper in an unlocking shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Webmonkey wrote: »
    eh? - how come

A 3G sim (USIM) is different from a normal sim and a normal 2G phone won't recognize it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Cheers guys - something new to be learned every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

eth0_ wrote: »

Is this the best software out there.....can't find a list of supported handsets on there site....tks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Free K800i unlocking, Google is great ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

Thanks for all the replies i got to this.

I unlocked my sony ericcson phone today. Went into a three shop to do it.

Next step is for me to change to another network so I can start to use my new japanese phone fully. All is going well with it so far.

Advertisement