Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike Fishing Noob - What fly gear???

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

coghlac3 wrote: »
    Hi all, hoping for some help. Is there a particular type of fly rod/line etc. that I should get to catch Pike with flies.

Am a total noob and don't have a clue. Can I just get a starter kit off fleabay?

Any hints please.....

Would this be okay?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Fly-Fishing-9ft-6-AFTM-6-7-Rod-starter-kit-worth-210_W0QQitemZ250279605431QQihZ015QQcategoryZ23819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

First off you really dont catch pike with flies.
    They're a predator that can grow very large so you'd be better off using deadbait(essentially a dead fish on a treble hook),or an artificial lure eg plug or spinner.
    I'd be here all day tryingto explain the ins and outs of it all,so google pike fishing-baits-equipment.
    Any pike fishing gear can be bought in Ireland and quite cheaply too if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

get a medium action spinning rod, 10ft or so, with a fixed spool reel, load it with 30lb braid, get some spinners/lures and off you go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

you can also float fish for pike with a large round type float as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Lovely, thanks for that.

I'll get going on that, thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Ahem, of course you can fly fish for pike, you may not get speciman but it can be great sport. You will need at least a 10ft 9 weight rod, comparitive reel, armoured leader and of course pike flies. You should be able to pick up the lot quite cheap. Most rod manufacturers are makein a pike fly rod now days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Fly fishing for pike is a variety of spinning for pike.
    They are taking an artificial lure for a real fish as food.

The main differences are: spinners, spoons and plugs can be casted further with less experience in casting. They are used from a stronger rod which overcomes the fighting pike easier.

If you choose to fly fish for pike from a floating platform (boat, float tube) then etting closer means the distance difficulty of fly casting is taken care of. This leaves the tackle difference, for which the fly rod allows the pike to give a much better fight.

There are some articles about Pike Fly Fishing in this website: Fishing for Pike from Float Tubes & Belly Boats.

The advantage will swing away from fly to real fish baits when the water cools in the autumn-winter season, and at that time the spinning rod can also be used for deadbaiting. This means that if you get pike fly gear for summer fishing, you will also want a bait casting outfit for the winter. However if you put on a fast sinking flyline you can continue to catch pike on the fly right through the winter.

It's actually quite nice to catch them both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Thanks again folks. Have booked a day out with a guide in Mid-Sept. Think i'm out on a boat on Blessington so I hope to pick some bits a pieces for that. Work in Dublin 1 so might take a spin to Henry's in Ballybough to get some idea's too.

P.S. Got a coarse fishing book in ALDI on Sunday for €4, some good stuff there too for beginners like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Just wen't down to aldi to see if I coould get that book and they had none,so I got a new 12ft telescopic beech caster! €30! the reel is probably crappy but saying that my last rod snapped almost blinding my mate and cost me €120!

The had an 11ft match rod too. And loads of carp and course bait pellets/boilies, head lamp, 2 types of pole fishing rods,a carp kit with scales-mat,sling-etc,scales and fishing dvds!

I don't work for Aldi, I prefer Lidl ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mrttattoo

hey
    If ur considering starting fly fishing for pike think hard, it can be expensive u need a 9wt rod minimum i would recomend 10/11wt no longer than ten feet and a large arbor reel.
    the real trick to it is ur leader material u can get a braided line wit kevlar running through it
    its nice an supple and turns over like a regular fly a weight forward line is easiest to use if ur already fly fishing. or u can get a lead core line which sinks really fast and u can cast all that line out wit some practice

Advertisement