Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Decline Of C.d's

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

humberklog wrote: »
    +1
    Definately and especially at higher volume.
    Of course there's the more intimate tactileness to actually holding a product that creates music.
    I would generally only buy at most two cds at a time as when I buy, say 4 in a sale, then I never really explore all the albums individually. Too much info at one time. MP3 is all the info you ever wanted all at once too. Now I may be a bit slow in absorbing music in a way I enjoy but MP3's instant mass gratification can't be absorbed in a musically healthy fashion by the general public.
    Over depenance on MP3 is a little like finding all you need to know about history through Wiki. It's grand info that'll blag you by but it ain't well garnered knowledge that'll fill the grey matter the way the brain is built to absorb information in a thoughtful way.

Mind you it is bloody handy for finding those odd titbits that aren't generally available. "Dear oki, if you see arkie will you tell'm that tex.....".
    Well to fit all the music into an Mp3 you have to leave out loads of different frequencies therfore missing out on certain key elements in the song etc. Sounds like something is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The decline in cd sales can be directly linked to the decline in musical quality

Think your looking for the all things retro forum.

There was just as much crap before as there is now. The only difference is that peopel can listen for free first so can more effectivly weed out the crap.

I'm very much in the like to hold and have shelves full camp. My reasons for my dramatic fall away in cd purchasing is just 3 letters though:DVD. I started buying DVDs and just had no money left to buy cd's anymore. I still buy every now and then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No my good man! You'd be off down to your friendsies house with a new Hard disk lickity split and within an hour you would have just as much music as you ever had.
    What would you do if a rabid pack of wild dogs attacks your room and puts tomato ketchup all over your CD collection? Where would you be then?
    You'd be phuked then wouldnt you!:D
    Hehe, no I'd still have 'em on my iPod! :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Van Zuylen wrote:
    Hear Hear Daddio same as myself the whole shopping for music has now become a hobby.

Hear hear indeed!

I do occasionally download an album if it's not available in record shops, but any album I really enjoy is purchased on cd/vinyl.

Does anybody else think that discovering music has become less 'special', for want of a better word, now with the interweb and downloading etc? I actually get a buzz off walking into a record store and picking up something I've never heard before and then rushing home to listen to it. I love it when I'm sitting on the bus or dart home, reading the liner notes, and wondering how it'll sound after I lower the needle or hit play.

Or maybe I'm just a good consumer and like opening my wallet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Daddio wrote: »

Does anybody else think that discovering music has become less 'special', for want of a better word, now with the interweb and downloading etc? I actually get a buzz off walking into a record store and picking up something I've never heard before and then rushing home to listen to it. I love it when I'm sitting on the bus or dart home, reading the liner notes, and wondering how it'll sound after I lower the needle or hit play.

You 've described me to a tee here, so there's still a few of us left. :D When I've been searching for a particular cd, then casually stroll into a store and find it there, no amount of downloading could match the thrill of this IMO. It's happening less and less ( finding what you want in a store in Dublin) unfortunately........ but if in London or New York................ ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I get the same buzz when I hit search on a torrent site and the album I'm looking for appears :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The decline in cd sales can be directly linked to the decline in musical quality
    Eh...no it can't. Have a look at the top selling albums of all time and you'll see what some may describe as gems and others tosh. Music no is no worse than ever and a lot better than it occassionally has been.

The decline in music sales can be directly linked to the availability of free music.
    I was at a free bar 2week ago. The sale of Jagermeister and Budvar was well down but the consumption was through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

MooseJam wrote: »
    I get the same buzz when I hit search on a torrent site and the album I'm looking for appears :)

Whatever floats your boat........... ;) Generally I suppose it's a case of how you collected/played music when you were younger.

Advertisement