Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanic help needed :(

Options
  • 08-08-2008 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Unfortunately I went and bought myself a punto (i DONT want to hear it :mad:) and yes I've obviously had nothing but a headache and empty pockets since i bought it, but i cant get rid of it and i cant afford a new car so i need advice....

Pretty sure I need a new water pump (constant sound of flowing water - is that what the water pump does but shouldn't make noise while doing?)

Is the water pump connected to the timing belt (85k, last changed at 44k). I was told the belt is frayed and I'll need a new one soon. Does it sound like it needs changing?

My brake shoes were changed about a month ago, yet i'm hearing this awful high pitched sound (sometimes-not always) that goes away (for a few mins) when i tap the brakes lightly. What the hell is this?

I've already put €500 into this car since I bought it, how much more am I looking at to get the aul yoke healthy again?

Please help I'm at my wits end :(

sunrise xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The timing belt and water pump are generally done together because of the work involved to get at them. Fins on the water pump wear out over time which is why it needs to be replaced. I would say that if your timing belt is frayed it does need to be changed and soon. Puntos don't have the best reputation in this area so don't leave it very long. If you have gotten close to 50K kms out of it you are doing well. You might as well get the water pump done as well, it doesn't cost very much extra and it's peace of mind (at least if you are hearing flowing water, it's probably working! :D )

As for the brakes, I'm not sure what that might be, although you may have a stuck caliper that is causing your pad to wear out very quickly. Get them checked too, you don't want to take chances with your brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

+1
    As for your brakes was this sound there before you got them serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I've already put €500 into this car since I bought it, how much more am I looking at to get the aul yoke healthy again?

:p:p:p

Come back when you've paid a real bill, only then can you whinge. :o

I cant imagine you would hear water being pumped around so doubt its the water pump... maybe a wheel bearing? As someone said before they change the water pump on a lot of models with the timing belt as it is buried. Only on some cars though, others have loads of room to get at things in the engine bay. Engine bay on the old seat leon model is practically empty!!

If you let your timing belt break you'll be looking at a bill for at least 1500 so that should be on your priority list. I'd imagine it will cost about 300 to get it changed as it can involve a lot of stripping, depending on model, not entirely sure about the punto.

Brake shoes hmm, not too sure about drum brakes but maybe there is something else rubbing in the drum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sunrise13

Tails142 wrote: »
    :p:p:p

Come back when you've paid a real bill, only then can you whinge. :o

I've only had the car 3 months! I was told (by my mechanic) that if the timing belt snaps, its not gonna misalign the engine as punto's are built with something or other that blocks this?

So the brakes squeeked before i got the shoes done ( i though it was the pads - turned out it was they just needed a cleaning but Advance pit stop took my back brakes apart and when they couldn't put them back together they hammered them back on and ****ed up my shoes - and more than likely the drum - bunch of **** :mad:)

Anyway, not the point!

Another thing i forgot to mention (cos theres so many things wrong I cant keep them straight!) is that my gear stick is so stiff :p seriously, it keeps kicking and takes a lot of persuasion to get into gear. Is this a problem with my gearbox or gearstick?

Thanks for your answers by the way!!! I do go on a bit but its a nightmare of a car!!!

Oh! Seeing as I'm really going for it, I'll throw another one out!

Car vibrates when idle.... its not slight, its full blown but calms when i find my biting point....

Any suggestions? Problem with gearbox perhaps?

Not spark plugs or plug leads, these have been replaced.... twice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

what year putno is it and what brakes are on it ( discs or drums ? )

i generally don't touch them with a barge pole but meh, ill see if i can spare some time and have a look ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

sunrise13 wrote: »
    Another thing i forgot to mention (cos theres so many things wrong I cant keep them straight!) is that my gear stick is so stiff :p seriously, it keeps kicking and takes a lot of persuasion to get into gear. Is this a problem with my gearbox or gearstick?

Haha, going by the mileage you said, you're just about due a clutch replacement! The fastest selling clutch kit in Ireland is the Fiat Punto!

Oh! Seeing as I'm really going for it, I'll throw another one out!

Car vibrates when idle.... its not slight, its full blown but calms when i find my biting point....

Any suggestions? Problem with gearbox perhaps?

Not spark plugs or plug leads, these have been replaced.... twice.

Sounds like engine or gearbox mountings. They keep the engine/gearbox assembly secured into the vehicle. If all you've spent on this car is 500 Euro you should say another novena! Punto's are known for clutch, head gasket and water leak defects.

Advance pit stop took my back brakes apart and when they couldn't put them back together they hammered them back on and...

Yakedy yakedy yak. I thought you said you had a mechanic look at this car!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

worked in a stores for a fiat garage before. The water sound isnt from the water pump its something to do with the internal heater (cant remember what exactly but i dont think it does any harm). As for the timing belt in the 8 valve engine if it snaps it doesnt cause any damage but the 16valve one is a different story.
    Regarding the vibrations you should try clean out the throttle body on the car. it could be getting blocked with gunk. dont know if it will sort the proplem but it wont do any harm to the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

S.I.R wrote: »
    what year putno is it and what brakes are on it ( discs or drums ? )

i generally don't touch them with a barge pole but meh, ill see if i can spare some time and have a look ?
    :eek::eek::eek: :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

As was said some of the punto engines are a non interference engine so if the belt did break it shouldnt bend valves, but you are better off replacing the belt, as if it is frayed it will break. Also the water pump is run off the timing belt so IF you are changing it it makes sense to do the 2 together. Its hard to tell from the discription what the problem is. Where abouts do you hear this noise? inside? in the engine bay? could be a number of things. are you losing coolant or is the level ok? have you tried to bleed the system to check for an air lock? post back more info and we may be able to help more.

Ok its an 8 valve engine so no interference if the belt snaps, but i'll get it done eventually (when i get the money to put it all right!!) i'll get the pump don at the same time to see if thats what the water noise is. It used to happen when i started the car but now its there constantly. The noise is comin from (and i sound like an utter woman) the left hand side when i'm in the car (i checked the speaker for possibility but its not....) the system was bled at its last service (july) to see if it would help (it obv didn't) another womanly thing to say - whats coolant? *cringe*:rolleyes:

more info: its a 00 punto with brake drums (battered ones from adavance :mad:), i took it to a real mechanic in july cos those lads are messers.... and he replaced the shoes. I was told the gearbox isn't the may west, but its solid and shud last another 10 years (mechanic told me... turning away business? quite honest.... or lazy.) My head gasket is fine (for now - praying it doesn't blow) nothings leaking (yet) so as far as damage goes, it hasn't hit its worst but i'd like to know what may be wrong before I go back to the mechanic so I know what he's talkin about.... I was told before the water sound may just be the heater, but its there constantly now which has me a bit worried.

*Girly moment* - Whats the throttle body and how is it cleaned?

Also my revs in idle are sh!t cos of the vibrating, the car has no poke and takes a while to get to a decent speed after idle.

So here's what I defo need so far yeah?
    1.New belt
    2.Water pump

Possibilities:
    1.New gearbox
    2.New clutch

She's solid tho, got me home from blanch in the torrents yesterday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Ok its an 8 valve engine so no interference if the belt snaps, but i'll get it done eventually (when i get the money to put it all right!!) i'll get the pump don at the same time to see if thats what the water noise is. It used to happen when i started the car but now its there constantly. The noise is comin from (and i sound like an utter woman) the left hand side when i'm in the car (i checked the speaker for possibility but its not....) the system was bled at its last service (july) to see if it would help (it obv didn't) another womanly thing to say - whats coolant? *cringe*:rolleyes:

more info: its a 00 punto with brake drums (battered ones from adavance :mad:), i took it to a real mechanic in july cos those lads are messers.... and he replaced the shoes. I was told the gearbox isn't the may west, but its solid and shud last another 10 years (mechanic told me... turning away business? quite honest.... or lazy.) My head gasket is fine (for now - praying it doesn't blow) nothings leaking (yet) so as far as damage goes, it hasn't hit its worst but i'd like to know what may be wrong before I go back to the mechanic so I know what he's talkin about.... I was told before the water sound may just be the heater, but its there constantly now which has me a bit worried.

Also my revs in idle are sh!t cos of the vibrating, the car has no poke and takes a while to get to a decent speed after idle.

1.New belt
    2.Water pump

Possibilities:
    1.New gearbox
    2.New clutch

Shuda listend to Mr Taxi man and got a Toyota!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm thinking head gasket MIGHT be the cause of the rough idle. from what I remember the gasket on those breaks down between 2 of the cylinders, so as opposed to water or oil leaking in, you lose compression on 2 of the cylinders. this happened me on 2 different cars with the 1242cc engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

1.New belt
    2.Water pump

Possibilities:
    1.New gearbox
    2.New clutch

coolant is a liquid that runs through the engine radiator, block and heater to keep the engine from overheating during use. To check levels, usually to the left afaik there is a container with a pipe going from radiator into it. this is your coolant reserve. See that the level is between "MIN" and "MAX"

DONT MISTAKE WITH YOUR WINDSCREEN WASHER BOTTLE!

while un-related *partially* my car also sometimes makes this 'water' noise usually first thing in the morning though and stops.. I dont drive a punto though.

tbh op, if I were you I would try sell the car after changing the belt and save up for a more reliable car as someone else said a toyota (or anything japanese).

If advance broke your car would you not ask for them to compensate/refund/or repair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Johnathon

another womanly thing to say - whats coolant? *cringe*:rolleyes:

1.New belt
    2.Water pump

Possibilities:
    1.New gearbox
    2.New clutch

Coolant is the Antifreeze. It is circulated by the water pump to cool down the engine.

The throttle body is part of the air intake system on a fuel injected vehicle that controls the air going into the engine. It is generally located between the air intake box and the manifold, but I'm not familiar with your car so I can't say exactly.

You can clean it by reving the car up and spraying throttle body cleaner or car cleaner into it to remove the varnish that has developed on it. If you are having a rough idle though, I would clean the MAF first. You can buy a bottle of MAF cleaner at almost any autoparts store. That is what I would automatically expect if you are idling rough and lack power. On most cars you can also dissconect the MAF sensor and it will go into a "limp" mode. If it idles good in limp mode, then you know the rough idle and lack of power are due to the MAF being bad.

As far as vibrations in while idleing go, I would suspect your engine mounts first.

Advertisement