Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the water in Bray Contaminated

Options
  • 09-08-2008 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard anything on the radio about the water in Bray being contaminated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nope.
    Why do you ask ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

A friend heard it on east coast radio that there had been a leak or something on the putland road and that the water in the town was now contaminated? I know one of the pubs on the beach wasn't giving out tap water but just wondering was it the whole town affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

heard that piece on the news.

They are saying to boil water before drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Is all of Bray affected?

EDIT: Found this...
    Herald.ie wrote:
    By Kevin Doyle

Saturday August 09 2008

RESIDENTS in a Wicklow town have been warned to boil tap water after abnormally high levels of bacteria were discovered in the supply.

Bray Town Council have urged locals not to use water for any purpose, even dishwashing, without boiling it first.

It is the latest in a long line of water related problems for the area which has previously had serious incidents of e-coli contamination.

Although the council say that the latest contaminant is not a re-emergence of e-coli, members of the public and businesses are being urged to take extra precautions.

A spokesman for the council said that the measure is purely precautionary as other locations must also be tested over this weekend.

He confirmed that the water did not contain e-coli or cryptosporidium.

The notice takes in a large area with the only properties excluded north of the Dargle River, East of Killarney Lane and West of Killarney Road.

Residents are being urged to discard all ice cubes, boil all water for hygiene usage, consumption and first aid. They are also being urged not to use dishwashers.

Earlier this year an EPA report found that Wicklow's local authority was failing to monitor parasites in its water systems.

Ten incidents of e-coli contamination were detected in seven public water supplies in Wicklow during 2006.

The report also found that no monitoring was carried out by Wicklow Co Council in one public water supply scheme with insufficient monitoring' in many of the larger private water supplies.

- Kevin Doyle

Link:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/boil-water-warning-for-bray-residents-1451040.html

Here's the Bray Town Council warning notice and precautionary list:

EDIT Link not working. They replaced it with a list of areas not affected:

http://braytowncouncil.ie/media/Boil%20Notice%20Areas%20Not%20Affected.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Bray Town Council in consultation with the Health Service Executive, has placed a Boil Notice on the water supply in Bray excluding properties North of the Dargle River, East of Killarney Lane and West of Killarney Road. Water sampling will continue over the course of the weekend.

This notice is being served as a precaution and the Council recommends that people in the identified area take the following steps until further notice.

See link for details

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

AREAS NOT AFFECTED:

Ardmore Wood
    Ashton Wood
    Ballywaltrim Heights / Road
    Beech Road
    Castle Street
    Chapel Lane
    Clover Hill
    Dargle Heights
    Dwyer Park
    Elgin Heights
    Elgin Wood[
    Fairy Hill
    Glenthorn
    Hawthorn Road
    Hazelwood
    Herbert Park
    James Everett Park
    Kilbride Grove
    Killarney Heights
    Killarney Park
    Ledwidge Crescent
    Lower Dargle Road
    Old Connaught Grove
    Richmond Park
    Ripley Hills / Court
    Roger Casement Park
    Rowan Grove
    Saran Wood
    Silverpines
    Upper Dargle Road

Thank God I'm not affected:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's missing a few estates as well, so anyone in Woodbrook Glen, Corke Abbey, The Fairways etc is also OK.
    Bray Town Council in consultation with the Health Service Executive, has placed a Boil Notice on the water supply in Bray excluding properties North of the Dargle River, West of Killarney Lane and West of Killarney Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

eoin_s wrote: »
    That's missing a few estates as well, so anyone in Woodbrook Glen, Corke Abbey, The Fairways etc is also OK.

I'd say you are right with these extra estates but I'm only going by on what I read on braytowncouncil.ie, I was shopping today in Tesco and there was no bottled water left, what the hell is going on:confused:

• Advertisement

There was a bit more info in yesterdays Bray News. The article was quite short and mostly repeated what had been published already but one bit of interesting information was that apparently the bacteria in the water is non-pathogenic (i.e. it doesn't or shouldn't cause any illness or sickness) and that it is a bacterium which occurs naturally in water. However, very high levels of this bacterium have been detected and the boiling water notice has been put up as a precaution at the recommendation by the HSE.

Particularly annoying is the recommendation not to use the dish washer as it may not reach sufficient temperature to destroy the bacteria. Lucky me, I have loads of paper plates and plastic cutlery left from a big Christmas party so will be using these for a while. ;)

EDIT: A notice came in today saying it was coliform bacteria. These nice fellows are also present in fecal matter (Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coliform). Nice :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Trust me, Everyone is affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

CHD wrote: »
    Trust me, ....
    Why should I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Im in killarney heights supposedly unaffected yet they have had water pumping out of the place for the last week the same as in areas that are affected......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I'm in the Upper Dargle Road area-another supposedly unaffected area but have an awful stomach bug since Friday and am not convinced it has nothing to do with the water...

Then again, could be just be a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm in Ardmore Wood, one of the unaffacted areas, and we're all fine. There was an article in the Wicklow Times free rag tonight about it. Apparently the water for Bray comes from the Roundwood reservoir, and on it's way to the reservoir in Leopardstown on Bewery Road, it takes 3 branches off into various parts of Bray. Supposedly there is a Kilmacanogue branch near Avoca Handweavers that ends up in a small reservoir near Giltspur Lane (I've never seen it presumably its underground?!) that feeds most of Bray. The other (non-affected) estates are fed from the two other branches at Silverhill and Thornhill Road.

Advertisement