Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xp, Vista and Ubuntu ?

• 09-08-2008 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I've got my computer dual booting Xp and Vista at the mo. Downloaded Ubuntu and burned to to cd and tried booting the computer with it, but i only get as far as the "enter help to see a list of commands" screen !

So is it possible to have the 3 OS's on one computer and if so what am i doing wrong with Ubuntu that it won't load from the cd or install ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

So one partition for XP, another for Vista. Any recovery partitions as well?

Right, so it boots off the CD. You should see the screen with various options: install, run live, test memory and a few others. Need to set your resolution (F2 or F3, IIRC), select to install and hit enter and allow it to boot. Then you can proceed to install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

ethernet wrote: »
    So one partition for XP, another for Vista. Any recovery partitions as well?

Right, so it boots off the CD. You should see the screen with various options: install, run live, test memory and a few others. Need to set your resolution (F2 or F3, IIRC), select to install and hit enter and allow it to boot. Then you can proceed to install.

I've three partitions all together, one for XP, another for Vista and i made a third one that i was gonna put Unbuntu on. Yes it gets as far as the options menu but when i proceed to install it comes up with a dos like command prompt and says "type help for list of commands".

I must say I've never seen that before. When you boot the CD, pick the option to edit boot options (think it's F6) and delete the words "quiet splash". This might give more info as to what's actually going on.

Ok just tried it again, this time i tried to run ubuntu from the cd rather than install it and it was the same thing. got to a screen similiar to this and started the run from cd or whatever it is. It then loads linux kernal then comes up with the dos like screen with INITRAMFS in the command line. I then says type help for list of inbuilt commands when i do this it tell me REVALIDATION FAILED (errno= -5) !

Also been reading that cos i'm on a dual boot ubuntu might delete me Xp loader :eek::eek: Starting to think i might just be better leaving things as they are ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,574 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have you used the "check CD for defects" option? You could have had an error in the download or the burn.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Tried the test and it brought me back to the dos like page with the initratmfs command, then i typed in help and same revalidation failed message came up !

Might try it on my old computer next week and see if it works on that.

Zorba wrote: »
    Ok just tried it again, this time i tried to run ubuntu from the cd rather than install it and it was the same thing. got to a screen similiar to this and started the run from cd or whatever it is. It then loads linux kernal then comes up with the dos like screen with INITRAMFS in the command line. I then says type help for list of inbuilt commands when i do this it tell me REVALIDATION FAILED (errno= -5) !

Also been reading that cos i'm on a dual boot ubuntu might delete me Xp loader :eek::eek: Starting to think i might just be better leaving things as they are ?
    Here's a fix that works for some people. Like above, where I said to delete "quiet splash", enter this:
    all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll

Worth a shot anyway.

ethernet wrote: »
    Here's a fix that works for some people. Like above, where I said to delete "quiet splash", enter this:
    all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll

Worth a shot anyway.

I'm on a sata drive would that ide bit of that command matter ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

There's very little 'DOS-like' about linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭TeaServer

I had a similiar problem when I first went to install Ubuntu. It turned out to be a corrupted CD.

Try burning another CD once you've confirmed the ISO is not corrupted.

• Advertisement

Zorba wrote: »
    I'm on a sata drive would that ide bit of that command matter ?
    Only saw your reply now. Nope, it doesn't make a difference. Even ATA drives are registered as SATA drives in newer kernels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You can check your CD ISO download for corruption using an MD5 hash. It's a way of checking the integrity of data files. There's a handy Windows app that can do this for you: http://www.md5summer.org/

Advertisement