Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intelligent design

Options
  • 09-08-2008 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

is it just me or are the people who believe in the theory of intelligent design very annoying??they try to disprove evolution by using anecdotes and jokes while saying that a cells are to complicated to have evolved so there must have been a higher being that designed them??this is the next big thing so creationism better watch out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

is it just me or are the people who believe in the theory of intelligent design very annoying??they try to disprove evolution by using anecdotes and jokes while saying that a cells are to complicated to have evolved so there must have been a higher being that designed them??this is the next big thing so creationism better watch out!

Cheers, we'll watch out for that one.

You might be interested in the Creationism thread over on Christianity. Lots of shenanigans of that sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Cheers, we'll watch out for that one.
    just doing my bit...

ah dude if i go over there ill never get out

just doing my bit...

You might not, but an insane shell of a human resembling you might. We are the damned. Join us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

theory of intelligent design... this is the next big thing so creationism better watch out!
    Huh? I thought intelligent design was the new name for creationism?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's closer than you might want to think..
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055350631

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I got out ages ago! Though my head was sore from banging it against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »
    I got out ages ago! Though my head was sore from banging it against the wall.

Ah we prefer AtomicHorror anyway ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

shudders at time spent on that thread...

Edit: and now I see someone is abusing the tags on that thread. Very insulting to girls.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ah we prefer AtomicHorror anyway ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Yeah I watched an Anti-Evolution documentary there recently, it went into great detail about the whole irreducible complexity of the flagella and how DNA is irreducibly complex. Its dangerous stuff because they've coated it with enough BS that someone might believe it, and an Atheist, who isn't up to date could get bamboozled by it.

Once again its creationists and Intelligent design advocates clamping on to fringe issues that still have grey areas and pushing in a creator as the solution (much like all religions have done with unanswered questions throughout history)

Here's a good article to read written from a scientific point of view:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/originoflife.html

• Advertisement

Yeah I watched an Anti-Evolution documentary there recently, it went into great detail about the whole irreducible complexity of the flagella and how DNA is irreducibly complex. Its dangerous stuff because they've coated it with enough BS that someone might believe it, and an Atheist, who isn't up to date could get bamboozled by it.

Once again its creationists and Intelligent design advocates clamping on to fringe issues that still have grey areas and pushing in a creator as the solution (much like all religions have done with unanswered questions throughout history)

Here's a good article to read written from a scientific point of view:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/originoflife.html

Most of the raw numbers on various "irreducibly complex" systems make some minor incorrect assumptions. Such as, say, ignoring all of the known laws of physics and chemistry in favour of using combinatorial spaces alone.

Throw in some inaccurate analogies, get confused between evolution and abiogenesis and top it off with a straw man or two and you have the standard anti-evolution argument.

yeah the documentary was basically saying there is a coming "movement" of scientists against the theories that abiogenesis could happen by chance, all led by Michael Behe of course :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

It doesn't matter what arguments creationists/intelligent designers come up with they can still be blown out of the water by an average thinking 4 year old with "OK so who created the creator?". I'm still waiting for an answer to that one about 25 years after asking it....

Besides, at the end of the day they're just simply scared of dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That's about the bottom line of it alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It doesn't matter what arguments creationists/intelligent designers come up with they can still be blown out of the water by an average thinking 4 year old with "OK so who created the creator?". I'm still waiting for an answer to that one about 25 years after asking it....

Unfortunately the "who created the creator" question will only prove a convincing response to intelligent design theory for those with the the mind of a 4-year old. Your response is confusing the teleogical argument with the cosmological argument. A thinking adult should be able to see the logical flaw straight away.

Intelligent design theory argues that certain phenomena betray evidence of a designer. However, it does not logically follow that the designer must also be designed.

Let's use a simple example. If we look at a Ford Fiesta car then it is obviously designed by someone. I think we all agree on that. However, most (all?) atheists believe that the designer is himself (or herself) not a product of intelligent design but rather of entirely natural processes such as evolution. Therefore you already accept that a non-designed entity can design another entity. So you would have to be a total hypocrite to argue that the evidence for a designer necessitates that the designer must Himself be designed or created.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    Therefore you already accept that a non-designed entity can design another entity. So you would have to be a total hypocrite to argue that the evidence for a designer necessitates that the designer must Himself be designed or created.
    A poor simile, since the people who design and build cars do not magick into existence the steel and so on from which the car is made, rather as the christian deity (or intelligent designer) is alleged to have magicked the entire universe into existence.

Incidentally, are you suggesting that the christian god may have evolved? If so, you will also have to accept that are other gods with whom the christian deity is in competition for limited resources, that at lease some gods are engaged in some form of deistic reproduction and that they most likely die. That's a proposal which has far more in common with Ancient Greek and Roman theology than anything specifically christian that I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the christian god is a evolution of other gods

it is also a good model for survival of the fittest

robindch wrote: »
    A poor simile, since the people who design and build cars do not magick into existence the steel and so on from which the car is made, rather as the christian deity (or intelligent designer) is alleged to have magicked the entire universe into existence.

Incidentally, are you suggesting that the christian god may have evolved? If so, you will also have to accept that are other gods with whom the christian deity is in competition for limited resources, that at lease some gods are engaged in some form of deistic reproduction and that they most likely die. That's a proposal which has far more in common with Ancient Greek and Roman theology than anything specifically christian that I can think of.

I think you are confusing yourself unnecessarily. The concept of intelligent design does not specify the designer as being God, or even as the Christian God. The designer may have used already existing materials and may or may not be the same as the Creator of those materials.

My metaphor simply demonstrates that the evidence for one designer does not logically entail a further designer or Creator. Therefore Josepk Kuhr's argument is invalid.

And, no, I do not believe that God evolved, although that belief is based on biblical revelation and has no connection with the theory of Intelligent Design.

The problem with ID is that it starts from the assumption that life forms are too complex to arise by chance and thus must have a designer. To them, all complexity is evidence of intelligence. If we take that to be true, we run into a paradox. The designer would need to be comparably complex in order to perform the design task and thus by the logic of the initial assumption would require a designer.
    My metaphor simply demonstrates that the evidence for one designer does not logically entail a further designer or Creator. Therefore Josepk Kuhr's argument is invalid.

But in ID, complexity requires design. Hence the paradox. Scientists don't need to worry about that one as we know that complexity can arise from both design and by chance.

The concept of intelligent design does not specify the designer as being God, or even as the Christian God.
    One must assume then, that it is a coincidence that the only people currently selling ID are religious fundamentalists, the vast majority of them christian. And that it was (AFAIR) "Of Pandas and People" which discussed 'creationism' at great length, until an ineptly-applied global search-and-replace turned it into the standard text on 'intelligent design' -- see the Dover trial transcripts for how this was discovered -- it's quite a funny story :)
    My metaphor simply demonstrates that the evidence for one designer does not logically entail a further designer or Creator.
    As AH points out with his/her usual clarity, the central claim of ID is that "simple" things cannot produce "complicated" things and that therefore, ID is flatly contradicted by itself since it requires a more complicated "designer" to design the initial designer.

This simple rebuttal is explained at some length in The God Delusion.

• Advertisement

As AH points out with his/her usual clarity, the central claim of ID is that "simple" things cannot produce "complicated" things and that therefore, ID is flatly contradicted by itself since it requires a more complicated "designer" to design the initial designer.

For the record: His. :pac:

For the record: His.
    Duly noted, sir!

But isn't it held amongst Christians that God created time? So he neither has a beginning nor an end, thus God does not require a creator, he simple has always existed, as in existing outside of the constraints of a linear time.

I do not think arguing that God required a creator will help in the argument for the origins of life on this planet.

The problem with ID is that it starts from the assumption that life forms are too complex to arise by chance and thus must have a designer. To them, all complexity is evidence of intelligence. If we take that to be true, we run into a paradox. The designer would need to be comparably complex in order to perform the design task and thus by the logic of the initial assumption would require a designer.

But in ID, complexity requires design. Hence the paradox. Scientists don't need to worry about that one as we know that complexity can arise from both design and by chance.

No, you are misrepresenting ID and thus creating a straw man.

The ID argument is that irreducible complexity requires design. So, for example, the pattern of a snowflake is complex but can be reasonably explained by purely natural processes. Therefore the snowflake does not require a designer.

No, you are misrepresenting ID and thus creating a straw man. The ID argument is that irreducible complexity requires design.
    The "requirement" for irreducibility makes no difference to the end result.

Here's why: if irreducibly-complex man requires a designer, then the designer must be either reducibly or irreducibly complex. If it is "reducibly complex", then ID has shot itself in the foot by having reducible-complexity (a designer god) produces irreducible complexity (man). If the designer is "irreducibly complex", then all we've done is shift the question of "how does complexity arise" from man to designer, and we're no nearer a solution than we were when we started.

Hence, quite apart from ID's rather obvious factual vacuity, it's a philosophical and logical nonstarter too.

No, you are misrepresenting ID and thus creating a straw man.

The ID argument is that irreducible complexity requires design. So, for example, the pattern of a snowflake is complex but can be reasonably explained by purely natural processes. Therefore the snowflake does not require a designer.

Hardly a straw man PDN. If you want one of those check out J C's theory of spontaneous evolution. By comparable complexity, I was indeed referring complexity of the level that would fit into to the concept of "irreducible complexity". It is a concept that I, and most other scientists consider to be simply wrong. Courts in the United States seem to agree with the scientists.

At any rate, my "straw man" statement holds. I was stating that the complexity of the nameless creator must be comparable to the complexity of life (call it irreducible if you must). Wouldn't an omnipotent, universe-creating intelligence, a being of unimaginable creativity and sheer force, represent an irreducible complexity? If not, then the unsettling implication is that the creator of ID is in some manner much simpler than His/Her/It's creations. A Snowflake God, if you like. Irreducible complexity coming either from reducible complexity or from simplicity is something that the ID proponents are trying to tell us is impossible.

Here's why: if irreducibly-complex man requires a designer, then the designer must be either reducibly or irreducibly complex. If it is "reducibly complex", then ID has shot itself in the foot by having reducible-complexity (a designer god) produces irreducible complexity (man). If the designer is "irreducibly complex", then all we've done is shift the question of "how does complexity arise" from man to designer, and we're no nearer a solution than we were when we started.

Hence, quite apart from ID's rather obvious factual vacuity, it's a philosophical and logical nonstarter too.

I have to read your posts before I post. You've preempted me again! :(

You've preempted me again! :(
    Only once, as you did me earlier in the day :)

Anyhow -- PDN -- do you accept the rebuttals that AH and I put forward?

Anyhow -- PDN -- do you accept the rebuttals that AH and I put forward?

Sorry for not responding sooner. I've picked up a few extra responsibilities at work and am having to travel a bit more.

No, I don't accept the rebuttals as outlined below.
    Robin wrote:

ID theory argues that certain irreducibly complex features in nature cannot have arisen purely by natural selection. Therefore it is reasonable to posit a designer. This designer could be anything from God to aliens.

It is possible that such a designer could be an evolved creature, and therefore reducibly-complex. I don't see how that shoots anyone in the foot - unless they are trying to use ID as a 'proof' for God's existence.

If the designer is also irreducibly complex then it is true that we are no nearer a solution than when we started - in that case we simply accept that the natural order cannot be explained purely by natural forces. That is where we were before Darwinism.

Let me make something clear. Whether ID is valid or not makes no difference to my faith and belief in God. It neither validates nor invalidates that faith.
    Courts in the United States seem to agree with the scientists.
    Do you really want to use the decisions of courts in the United States as an authority? I mean really?
    At any rate, my "straw man" statement holds. I was stating that the complexity of the nameless creator must be comparable to the complexity of life (call it irreducible if you must). Wouldn't an omnipotent, universe-creating intelligence, a being of unimaginable creativity and sheer force, represent an irreducible complexity? If not, then the unsettling implication is that the creator of ID is in some manner much simpler than His/Her/It's creations. A Snowflake God, if you like. Irreducible complexity coming either from reducible complexity or from simplicity is something that the ID proponents are trying to tell us is impossible.
    I'm two thirds of the way through Behe's Darwin's Black Box, and I don't see him stating that to be impossible at all. He simply argues that irreducible complexity demands a designer. He makes no judgement as to whether that designer is itself irreducibly complex.

Why should it be unsettling that a creator can be simpler than its own creations? Do you, as an atheist, believe it to be logically impossible for a man to design something more complex (say in robotics) than himself?

• Advertisement

ID theory argues that certain irreducibly complex features in nature cannot have arisen purely by natural selection. Therefore it is reasonable to posit a designer. This designer could be anything from God to aliens.

That's their claim, however their recycling of creationist literature with some basic word replacement suggests that this is somewhat disingenuous.
    It is possible that such a designer could be an evolved creature, and therefore reducibly-complex. I don't see how that shoots anyone in the foot - unless they are trying to use ID as a 'proof' for God's existence.

If the designer is also irreducibly complex then it is true that we are no nearer a solution than when we started - in that case we simply accept that the natural order cannot be explained purely by natural forces. That is where we were before Darwinism.

Following the logic of ID: If the Designer is reducibly complex we are forced to explain how It arose. This just brings us back to some form of abiogenesis and evolution once again. If the designer is irreducibly complex we are forced to explain who designed the Designer.
    Let me make something clear. Whether ID is valid or not makes no difference to my faith and belief in God. It neither validates nor invalidates that faith.

Nor should it.
    Do you really want to use the decisions of courts in the United States as an authority? I mean really?

They are an authority, whether I consider it appropriate or not. I wasn't suggesting anything more than that the arguments against ID seem to make good sense to non-scientists when fully explored.
    I'm two thirds of the way through Behe's Darwin's Black Box, and I don't see him stating that to be impossible at all. He simply argues that irreducible complexity demands a designer. He makes no judgement as to whether that designer is itself irreducibly complex.

Which either way requires us still to address the origins of the Designer. For this to be proper science, we would also need a means to test for Its existence or influence beyond the mere notion of "irreducible complexity".
    Why should it be unsettling that a creator can be simpler than its own creations?

It isn't to me. To creationists I imagine it's not an acceptable notion.
    Do you, as an atheist, believe it to be logically impossible for a man to design something more complex (say in robotics) than himself?

I don't believe it to be impossible, however we are still faced with origin of the designer question irrespective.

Advertisement