Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda: Ocarina of time vs Twilight Princess

Options
  • 09-08-2008 3:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

Its wrecking my mind, both of these games are awsome but im kinda leaning towards ocarina of time due to its captivating story line and Twilight princess's repetitiveness in tasks like collecting the light fragments from the shadow insects, also, is it just me or does Twilight princess's story just seem like something they shove in between dungeons?

Opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

OoC will always be my favourite Zelda. Twilight Princess is a fantastic game, but OoC was the first one that i truly got sucked into. I remember playing it for days after i got it at christmas, and then staying up till 4am trying to finish the water dungeon without the water shirt (which allowed you to breathe underwater). Bloody hard, but bloody satisfying.

Also, you need a poll!! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think they are both fantastic, and would be hard pressed to say which one is 'better'. I love Twilight Princess, and in many ways feels like a refined and updated version of OoT. But Ocriana is timeless, and even though I only played it around the time Wind Waker was released, still was completely drawn into it despite the aged engine. I would probably say that for the first time experience and feeling of freshness, Ocriana pips it, but I definitely think Twilight Princess improves upon it in some ways, even if the story is a bit ho-hum as the OP pointed out.

In conclusion: both games rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A Link To The Past is the best Zelda.

If I had to choose between OOT and TP, they're both excellent, but I'd have to say OOT. Its a pretty epic game.... TP had its flaws, but it was still fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I couldn't get into OOT and I never finished it. Probably because I got it bundled with Wind Waker, which was the first Zelda game I played (and finished). After that, I got ALTTP for the GBA. Good fun, but again, never finished.

I only finished Twilight Princess last week. It was enjoyable, but I found myself thinking it was the same as every other Zelda game I've played. Find 3 things, realise you need 8 things. Go to the Wood/Water/Fire (Mountain)/etc. Dungeons. Find what you need in that dungeon to beat that dungeon boss.

Wind Waker is my favourite of the ones I've played. I'll probably get some critism for that (while I'm at it, Sunshine > 64 :p), but it was my first Zelda experience, and it showed me what a Zelda game is. After that, going back to OOT/LTTP, or forward to TP, it just feels like the same game with different graphics. Not necessarily a bad thing though...

Oh and, Midna > Navi ;)"HEY!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I preferred Majoras Mask to Ocarina of Time. The storyline was excellent and really very dark for a zelda game. I liked how it was so very different from any of the other zelda games because of the time element and the masks that were very different from the staple zelda secondary items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I preferred Majoras Mask to Ocarina of Time. The storyline was excellent and really very dark for a zelda game. I liked how it was so very different from any of the other zelda games because of the time element and the masks that were very different from the staple zelda secondary items.

I found majoras mask too complicated and confusing. I loved Ocarina of Time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Mr E wrote: »
    A Link To The Past is the best Zelda.

+1

Ocarina of Time is a very close second though

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'd give another vote for A Link to the Past remember when I was much younger playing it for ages tryign to clear it. I tired OOT briefly but failed to get into it. I played Twlight Princess and it was a good game but it did not leave the same impression on me that A Link to the Past left me with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Wind Waker is my favourite of the ones I've played. I'll probably get some critism for that

And here it comes :D

The WindWaker was complete pantaloons, way to linear. 'You must go here' kind of direction went totally against the format of OOT.

OOT is one of my all time favs, I still play it on a regular basis. I love it from start to finish, the gameplay is so smooth, the story is great and the soundtrack just rounds things off.

I could fish for hours and hours and hours.....

The N64 really had some doozeys.

Why the hell don't Nintendo release Majora Mask on the Virtual Console?
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Never really played it past the first dungeon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 @lantis

Bought a Nintendo Wii and Zelda, Twighlight Princess for my BF last christmas..Kinda regretted it for a while since he was playing it all the time, ALL THE TIME...but now I'm kinda drawn to it as well..not playing myself, but watching him play instead, it's a great story and the troll-thingys and the dancing puppets that hangs from the trees while that haunting tune is playing is freaking me out... God, I so need to get a life...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And here it comes :D

The WindWaker was complete pantaloons, way to linear. 'You must go here' kind of direction went totally against the format of OOT.

I would like to counter that with the following two words:

Hey! Listen!

Ocarina may have seemed less linear on the surface, but the way that bloody fairy kept pestering you until you went to the next step means you could never, ever enjoy going off the beaten track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Played both Ocarina and Twilight Princess, found them both enjoyable but i find Ocarina of Time to be the better of the two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr E wrote: »
    Why the hell don't Nintendo release Majora Mask on the Virtual Console?
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Never really played it past the first dungeon.

Emulating the expansion pak games is a lot harder and I doubt nintendo could be bothered adding the functionality into the emulator considering they won't even add vibration support.

I agree Majoras Mask is a lot more complicated and has a steep learning curve but once you get past that and learn what the game expects of you it's really enjoyable and unique. It takes a while to get into though.

Link to the Past would definitely be my favourite. I also have a soft spot for Wind Wake and the 2 Oracle games. The oracle games are really challenging which has been missing from the zelda games for the past while. Twilight Princess was a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wind Waker and the 2 Oracle games. The oracle games are really challenging which has been missing from the zelda games for the past while. Twilight Princess was a walk in the park.
    Agreed on two things there, Wind Waker is an absolute gem. It's graphical style will mean that it'll never look bad like a few of the other Zelda 3D titles and it has such charm. I'm never letting my copy go.

...and yes, Twilight Princess is a little too easy. I'm playing through it again at the moment and literally walking through it. Boss battles are steamrolled, puzzles are a doddle and pretty much all of the secrets aren't as much secrets as 'in plain sight, just need the right item'.

As far as being involved in the storyline and the development of Link and the rest of the characters, Ocarina of Time wins easily but in terms of scale, fun and generally enjoying the game, Twilight Princess gets my vote. They may be both adventure games involving a character called Link, but they're very different experiences. Short answer, i can't choose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd probably say Wind Waker was my favourite of the lot too (after LttP), mainly because it got me back into gaming. It doesn't deserve the flak it seems to have gotten recently. Yes everyone knows the Triforce fetch quest sucks ass, but the rest of the game is stunning. Phantom Hourglass is a decent sequel, with the exception of the repetitive dungeon, but WW really engaged me from start to finish. And the art design is second only to the likes of Okami.

I really think comparing Zelda games causes nothing but headaches though: I have loved every one I have played and while everyone will have favourites they are all equal parts of the franchise. Except the CDi ones, which never happened.:pac:

Except the CDi ones, which never happened.:pac:

Strangely enough Hardcore Gaming 101 recently gave the first two games a detailed and very positive write up, saying that they are really very good games.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/zeldacdi/zeldacdi.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

To me its gotta be:

1. Ocarina of Time
    2. Twilight Princess
    3. A Link to the past
    4. Phantom Hourglass
    5. Majoras Mask
    6. Links Awakening (Because it inspired this video :D!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnTnhmwwUYs

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

I felt Twilight Princess was dissapointing (in comparison, it was still great), after Majoras Mask and Wind Waker shaking up the formula. So Ocarina for me, cheers.
    The first one I played, and changed gaming for me forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

loved twilight princess as it is the sole reason i bought a Wii and in my opinon justified the puchase of the console but for me OOT was an experience no game as equaled in terms of enjoyment.

I remember renting it from extravision getting to the water temple owing them a fortune then going straight out and buying the game.

I dont understand why people say the game has aged so badly I would gladly play a game with that engine if it had anywhere near the playability that OOT had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Link to the Past and Link's Awakening for the win and second place respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Ooh yeah i forgot link to the past. Remember the final boss? He was awesome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

only two zelda games I have are ocarina of time and twilight of princess,I got to the last boss in ocarina of time,but never finished twilight of princess,I also have majorocas mask but have'nt played it,as you need an expansion pack or something?

only two zelda games I have are ocarina of time and twilight of princess,I got to the last boss in ocarina of time,but never finished twilight of princess,I also have majorocas mask but have'nt played it,as you need an expansion pack or something?

Yep the ram expansion pak is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Definitly prefer OoT but TP was quiet good. I loved the way you could go back and forward in time and the trying to remember the songs for the Ocarina. Anyone remember fighting
    Dark Link
    . Good Times!! I don't know how anyone can play the NES/GBA Zeldas. They are much too hard to play and get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

loved twilight princess as it is the sole reason i bought a Wii and in my opinon justified the puchase of the console but for me OOT was an experience no game as equaled in terms of enjoyment.

I remember renting it from extravision getting to the water temple owing them a fortune then going straight out and buying the game.

I dont understand why people say the game has aged so badly I would gladly play a game with that engine if it had anywhere near the playability that OOT had.
    Have to agree with you. TP and SSBB justified buying the Wii. OOT was the most enjoyable game I've played too. The N64 was the best console and has yet to be beaten.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Definitly prefer OoT but TP was quiet good. I loved the way you could go back and forward in time and the trying to remember the songs for the Ocarina. Anyone remember fighting
    Dark Link
    . Good Times!! I don't know how anyone can play the NES/GBA Zeldas. They are much too hard to play and get into.

Legend of Zelda and Links Adventure may have dated badly but every other 2D zelda I found was far more accessible than the 3D games and perfectly good games. Don't know how anyone could hate links awakening, minish cap or the godly link to the past etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Bolgey

i honestly cant decide betwwen oot, twilight princess and wind waker, they're all great games

Half way through Oracle of Seasons at the moment, with a linked game of Oracle of Ages to follow. Great bloody games, and not too easy either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Still have yet to finish Links Awakening and Oracle of Ages, after owning them for years. I promis I'll get around to playing Link to the Past someday :P

Advertisement