Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Depreciation

Options
  • 09-08-2008 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Thinking about changing my wifes 06 Toyota Avensis strata (49,000 kms and in excellent condition), so called into our local toyota garage for a look. If I was to trade up to a new 08 model, it would cost €13,000.
    OK, I know there has been some upgrades on the 08 model but €13K seems very expensive.
    Is this price accurate or is the garage completely out of touch, any ideas ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

defox wrote: »
    Thinking about changing my wifes 06 Toyota Avensis strata (49,000 kms and in excellent condition), so called into our local toyota garage for a look. If I was to trade up to a new 08 model, it would cost €13,000.
    OK, I know there has been some upgrades on the 08 model but €13K seems very expensive.
    Is this price accurate or is the garage completely out of touch, any ideas ??

To be honest you are lucky, that you got trade in all together. alot of garages have stoped that, and thats 2 years old car anyway (soon 3). So i think its not bad deal, knowing that garages will be allways give you less for your own car, then you can sell it privatle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i.e. they don't want your car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Wait until the new model being launched at the end of this year - only a few months to go and as other posters have said trade-ins are poor at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, did you go to another dealer to compare prices?

Also you do know there is a new Avensis being launched early in the new year so why buy the same model as you are trading? Given that the current Avensis is coming to the end of its run you should be getting a good deal on a brand new one.

Also nobody is buying 1.6 petrol Avensis now as they are only about €500 cheaper to buy over the diesel model and more expensive to tax under then new system. There are lots of pre 1st July registered 1.6 models with little or no mileage at dealers for alot less than a brand new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What the lads said. The various reasons mentioned mean that you have already suffered most of the depreciation in your car. You could do a lot worse (financially) than just keep the car for another few years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

unkel wrote: »
    What the lads said. The various reasons mentioned mean that you have already suffered most of the depreciation in your car. You could do a lot worse (financially) than just keep the car for another few years...
    +1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

unkel wrote: »

+2

just for the record what is the list price of the new car ?

Advertisement