Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Anime Dubbing ?

Options
  • 09-08-2008 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

The title is my question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Cowboy bebop is the only anime that i have seen so far that has good dubbing and voices that suit the characters. Everything else has made me want to vomit from my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Ishmael wrote: »
    Cowboy bebop is the only anime that i have seen so far that has good dubbing and voices that suit the characters. Everything else has made me want to vomit from my ears.

That sounds pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Id say Hellsing has the best dub. Its far better in dub than sudded since its set in England. FMA, Cowboy Bebop and FMP all have decent dubs but I think thats it.

Oh and RahXephon isn't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Ghost in the Shell, films and series, one of the best English anime dubs ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

robby^5 wrote: »
    Ghost in the Shell, films and series, one of the best English anime dubs ever.

I could never take to the major's voice in the first Ghost in the Shell movie. Dull, unemotional and translucent IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

fitz0 wrote: »
    Id say Hellsing has the best dub. Its far better in dub than sudded since its set in England. FMA, Cowboy Bebop and FMP all have decent dubs but I think thats it.

Oh and RahXephon isn't bad

I agree with you on Hellsing, very good dubbing but i have to say the Dub on Full Metal Panic! was horrible. Sagara Souske's dubbed voice was too 'american' i found and it detracted alot of Souske's humour as he is supposed to be a Dead-pan, moronic and dumb (in the social sense) type of a person with a certain tone.

The Gungrave dub was also excellent and pretty much any-Ghibli movie iv watched has had great dubs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Helsing and Ghost in the shell have definitely got the best voicing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭HumanAfterAll

Death Note, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

None of them?

GitS is pretty solid I guess. Berserk isnt terrible either.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Cowboy Bebop, GITS:SAC.

I think I said this before somewhere.

FLCL is quite good too, but I prefer the sub.

Also, Studio Ghibli movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I haven't seen a lot of dubs, but I rather liked Cowboy Bebop's, Fullmetal Alchemist's, and FLCL's.
    I even think Fullmetal's one surpasses the original.

Slightly off-topic, but I must say~ Sailor Moon's dub was utterly atrocious.
    Having re-watched the series recently, I kept seeing how the dub was completely bastardized. My curiosity piqued, I went and saw several episodes, just to compare. And, wow. It wasn't just all the name-changing, gender-changing, and relationship-changing, it was the whole way it was executed. The 'valley-girl' speak got on my nerves majorly, too. Apparently, during the finale of the first series, they literally smashed two of the last episodes into one. I couldn't bring myself to watch it; but the last two episodes, well, you couldn't really miss a scene or two, let alone nearly half of it! How silly. They cut out several minutes from each episode, too, to make room for the 'Sailor Says' thing. Oh, dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

COWBOY BEBOP!

it's an amazing dub and should be looked at as a prime example of how to cast voice actors for other anime.

i never really watch dubs that often, the only reason i started watching bebop as a dub was because that day i was just too lazy to read, nice outcome tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

Well, I think the best I´ve seen is probably the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya, legendary dub, especially Kyon. They got him down. His apatheticness in most situations, the resignedness and cynicism.
    Just absolutely great.
    Others are probably Cowboy bebop and Gits.
    Someone said the majors voice was dull and unemotional.
    Duh.
    And, slightly off topic but I can tell you of one that will be butchered:
    Lucky star.
    They´re gonna **** it up so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

andgoodbye wrote: »
    Well, I think the best I´ve seen is probably the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya, legendary dub, especially Kyon. They got him down. His apatheticness in most situations, the resignedness and cynicism.

Yeah, I thought that they got this part of Kyon right, but they completely messed up his annoyed/frustrated voice, the one he gets into during a particularly long rant.

From what I've seen, the majority of American VAs don't seem to be able to display the same range as their Japanese counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

I honestly don't think I've seen a dubbed anime or foreign film that I think is better than the native tongue version. Remember the dubbing in the Bruce Lee films and early Jackie Chan films?... Uck.
    That said the one exception is the r.p.g. Lost odyssey. They did a great job with that. I could'nt stand FFX because of the dubbing with tidus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hellsing is the best easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I haven't seen hellsing, any good?
    Fairly decent dubbing on the old street fighter II animated movie - but then again I've never seen the original language version so I have nothing to compare against.. 3x3 eyes wasn't too bad either..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love Helsing. watch it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ItalianPosh

Love Helsing too. It quite a classic. Definite must see for thos who haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Cowboy Bebop but since watching R.Kenshin I shudder to think of what they'll do to the dubbing on anything. I try and avoid it if I can.

Although somone mentioned any of the Studio gibli movies and I'd have to agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop and Elfin Lied are all better dubbed in my opinion, Ed's voice is awful in the Japanese version!

Advertisement