Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Owned

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Atari Jaguar
    Original XBox being used as a media centre, the best €50 I ever spent. A PSP which is great when on holidays or travelling. The Wii which is only used with the missus for bowling and a PS3 which gets played all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Wii
    A DS which is played rarely, and a 360 that gets used all the time.
    In my parents house a PS1, PS2, Xbox, 2 original gameboys, a GBC, Ngage and a megadrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Wii
    Xbox 360 * 2, PS3, Nintendo DS..... in order of what gets played most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Atari Jaguar
    PS3, Wii, 3 DS's

The Wii is the main games machine, though the PS3 is in constant use thanks to its role as a media centre and for a some of the more shiny games aka mgs4 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

PS3 under the TV and a PC (Q6600 with 4850 g/card) used for gaming. Modded PS2 under my bed gathering dust.

In the attic of my parents house I have in no particular order.

Atari ST
    Gamecube
    Original XBox
    Dreamcast
    Atari 2600
    Couple of old PC's up there too.

Previously owned stuff since sold, traded in or upgraded

Gamegear
    SNES
    Commodore64
    Commodore128
    Vic20
    PSP
    XBox360
    3DO
    PS1
    Several PC's (386sx, 486DX4-100, Celerons x 2, Athlons x 2 (can't remember what they were), Core2Duo (unfortunately died due to PSU fault).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Atari Jaguar
    Hey, forgot to include my Ngage, easy to forget that really!
    Left out the 3DO too!

As for peripherals I have a couple of beauties, the prime one being the Steel Batallion controller, awesome stuff!
    And my favourite of all is my neGcon, the best racing controller I have ever used, odd then that it's sucessor, the joGcon should suck so, ah well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Bolgey

i dont have any of the listed systems, but i do have a ds, ps2, pc, sega megadrive, n64, gameboy advance, gameboy colour and 2 gamecubes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Atari Jaguar
    I have wii, ds lite (black and pink) and ps 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have pc and 2 media centre modded xboxes. Kids have a wii and PS2. As a pc gamer I built my 9 year old son a gaming pc (capable of playin Crysis mind you) and refuse to allow a modern console in the house (360 or ps3). Consoles are just lazy gaming IMO, any gobshíte can game on them and You don't learn from it. Pc gaming will teach You something. Young fella is now flying on a pc, maintains it fully himself, installs his own games, even virtually mounts the pirated copies i dl for him, great education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Wii
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    As a pc gamer I built my 9 year old son a gaming pc (capable of playin Crysis mind you) and refuse to allow a modern console in the house (360 or ps3).

That is actually quite a horrible thing to do :confused:
    Is this the whole thing about parents trying to live their lives through their kids?

• Advertisement

Varkov wrote: »
    That is actually quite a horrible thing to do :confused:

He's actually never asked for a console or even mentioned one TBH. He's no interest in consoles now he sees how much more pc's can offer, not just in gaming. Far easier to game with keyboard and mouse compared to a controller also (well except in car sims which the opposite is true)

He also owns a PSP, forgot that

Wii
    Young fella is now flying on a pc, maintains it fully himself, installs his own games, even virtually mounts the pirated copies i dl for him, great education.

Great education there, teaching him how to pirate games! Father of the year!! :rolleyes:

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Great education there, teaching him how to pirate games! Father of the year!! :rolleyes:

Ya, somethin everyone needs to kno :D Do you actually still pay for all your games?
    /dodges for cover :D

Thats not all he's learning, he's learnin how to maintain a pc, set his own wallpapers and themes, de-crapify every so often, scan for viruses every few days, add files & folders to his documents, browse the internet, add music to his library, put music and pictures on his PSP, search for & build Lego Mindstorms projects, the list goes on ......things a console can't teach him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Atari Jaguar

Thats not all he's learning, he's learnin how to maintain a pc, set his own wallpapers and themes, de-crapify every so often, scan for viruses every few days, add files & folders to his documents, browse the internet, add music to his library, put music and pictures on his PSP, search for & build Lego Mindstorms projects, the list goes on ......things a console can't teach him.

That's fairly cool. Fair play to you for getting him using a pc at a young age. Plenty of skills to learn.

However, instilling an anti console snobbery is a bit much to be honest. You can have plenty of fun gaming on a console while still using a PC on a regular basis. I've been doing it as long as I remember.

Don't get me wrong, I don't instill an anti-console snobbery, I don't abolish consoles from the house, we've still got a PSP, a DS, a PS2 and 2 modded Xboxes that are all played quite regularly. He does play consoles at my friends and his own friends houses. I built him a pc as a step up from consoles to try to teach him something as he's been playing on my pc since he was 5-6. If I bought him a PS3 instead of building him a pc he'd have learned nothing as he's not really allowed mess with my pc. He himself has seen that a pc can offer much more by learning all the above.

Wii
    .....soon the the cirle will complete and the apprentice will become the master! :pac:

Fair play tbh, just stop showing him how to pirate games!!

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Fair play tbh, just stop showing him how to pirate games!!

:rolleyes: Let them produce proper online games that need a proper serial and I'll stop. COD4 is the last game i bought and only cos I wanted my own serial for online play, I'll be buying Battlefield 3 for the same reason.

I've given him my Steam account so he will be legally downloading some also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Atari Jaguar
    Have pc and 2 media centre modded xboxes. Kids have a wii and PS2. As a pc gamer I built my 9 year old son a gaming pc (capable of playin Crysis mind you) and refuse to allow a modern console in the house (360 or ps3). Consoles are just lazy gaming IMO, any gobshíte can game on them and You don't learn from it. Pc gaming will teach You something. Young fella is now flying on a pc, maintains it fully himself, installs his own games, even virtually mounts the pirated copies i dl for him, great education.

I can't wait until your son become a teenager and converts to console only gaming, just to rebel against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Atari Jaguar
    Do you really learn all that much from building pcs or whatever? I build my pcs and am very familar with all what you've mentioned, but i would say it makes me any more employable or anything!

CV:
    blah blah
    blah blah
    Can mount pirated Isos with daemon Tools

:pac:

Although i dont think there is any harm what so ever nurturing a interest in computers from an early age, I wish somebody had done it for me!

Although i dont think there is any harm what so ever nurturing a interest in computers from an early age, I wish somebody had done it for me!

Being let rip on your own pc without anyone interfering or watching over your shoulder is the best education you could ever get. My Mam bought me a pc when I was 13-14 and it has always stood to me, thats nearly 20 years ago, its part of the reason why I did electronic engineering when I left school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

Wii
    Have a 360 and then a pc. I prefer the pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Atari Jaguar
    have a psp but I just watch TV on it, have a killer PC for gaming woot

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

PS3

Advertisement