Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSX: Only visual approaches offered where ILS exists

Options
  • 09-08-2008 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I have wondered by FSX will only offer visual approaches to airports where a functional ILS exists? One example is Saddam airport in Baghdad. It has 4 ILS approaches listed yet when you attempt to land you are only offered a visual approach. Any reason for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dogster

As far as I know FSX does not update its Air radio navigation aids and these are installed in the package prior to the software being released to the public, frequencies and facilities can change and with FSX being fixed at time of publication this will offer possabilities that radio aids that appear currently in the 4real World will have different frequencies to that which appear in FSX or that facilities which appear in FSX are not longer available or that a facility does not appear in FSX such as an airport installing an ILS where the airport previously did not have such a facility in now in the 4real World but not in FSX. As far as I know all aircraft currently using Baghdad International airport adopt a tight corkscrew approach to limit the threat from shoulder launched heat seeking surface to air missiles and presumably would not be flying a standard ILS approach anyway.

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/landing_in_baghdad.html?c=y&page=1

Hope this might be of some help,
    Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Its an FAA thing. The ATC in FS is modelled on FAA proceedures, its different throughout the world. Where the conditions exist in the USA visuals are offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ok, I found it strange they would offer a visual approach at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Ok, I found it strange they would offer a visual approach at night.

well if your visual of the runway then its grand, it has been offered many a time in Galway where the pilot came in on the ndb/dme approach until visual at around 10/9 miles, the runway lights and the papi's would make it fine to do in nighttime

Advertisement