Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I use NTL?

Options
  • 09-08-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of signing up for Chorus/NTL. However, the huge amount of negative feedback on this site is making me think twice.

I get UK TV stations from FreeSat and really only need RTE reception! But by switching my phone/broadband from ESAT BT I'd actually reduce my monthly payment!

Is the NTL phone/broadband service reliable? I work from home and need fairly reliable service!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The NTL broadband is fantastic, I've had it 4 years and it rarely goes down. When it does, getting through to customer support can be difficult but I have gotten compensation for all downtime.

The TV is their week point, it's just not as good as what's on Sky and there are promises of more to come but little sign as yet, just a constantly moving date.

I'd say for the broadband alone it's worth it. Maybe look at broadband and some form of satellite? The TV isn't bad per say and it does the job but it's becming less competitive with Freesat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

The broadband is indeed very good - I've had it for years and like Paulm17781, it has gone down rarely and I got compensated for it when it happened. The recent updates up to 20Mb have made it one of the most competitive products in Ireland right now and well worth it IMO. I did have some problems with high contention rates during peak hours when I was first upgraded to 20Mb but it seems better now and I'm seeing pretty solid performance most of the time, as far as speed goes. Support is bad if you need it - I tend to email them but it does take several days for them to get back to you (but they DO get back to you). If all you need TV-wise is RTE reception, I believe you can now get a broadband only pack but the cable still carries the analog signal for the 17 basic channels (I don't think there's a way for them to filter it out at this time anyway) - maybe someone who has it set up this way can confirm? That would probably be your cheapest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can just order the Broadband. No need to take the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Thanks, folks.

Sounds like the basic 3MB broadband and phone service at 30 euro a month is just what I need! Especially if I can pick up the analog TV off the cable for my Irish stations.

Can anyone please confirm if this actually works??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Moved to Broadband from Cable TV, MMDS and IPTV

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thanks, folks.

Sounds like the basic 3MB broadband and phone service at 30 euro a month is just what I need! Especially if I can pick up the analog TV off the cable for my Irish stations.

Can anyone please confirm if this actually works??

Have you confirmed that the bb is actually available in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kersti

Anyone know what their contention rates are?
    What's the unofficial usage cap for their no cap products?

Advertisement