Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pensions for Dummies .....

Options
  • 09-08-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm currently working with an umbrella company for the last year or two, and I feel it might be time to start a pension (I'm 28). I'm going to be moved over to a LTD company where I'll be 'director', but my contract is only guaranteed until October.

So the Umbrella staff suggested I start an 'Executive Pension' - can anyone PLEASE explain what this is, and how it differs from a regular Pension? And when starting a pension, am I better off setting up one with the employer or independantly with a bank or whatever? How can I compare pension schemes?

I'm really reluctant to phone them up for advice yet because I REALLY have no clue what they're talking about. What are the questions I need to ask?

Would really appreciate your assistance here!!

Pension-dummy :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

an executive pension plan is a type of occuptional pension scheme usually set up with a life assurance company for one employee who usually is an executive or director. An employer must contribute to this & you should check out how much thay are contributing. They will probably require you to contribute so much from your wages also. The main benefit of this for you is that your employer is contributing as opposed to if you set up a pension independently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Thanks a million Bills,

Should the employer be contributing the same amount that I do? Or does it depend? What sort of figure can I expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

i would say 5-10%

Advertisement