Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBM model M keyboard(buckling spring)

Options
  • 09-08-2008 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here still use these: http://www.mikecase.net/ModelM/Whats-The-Best-Keyboard-Ever.html

I have used one, and I have to say it is the holy grail of keyboard design.
    Typing is faster and more accurate on this thing than on any ****ty Chinese made keyboard I have lying around:)
    Buckling springs provide a really nice keyboard resistance which is sadly lacking on even the most superfluous "Gamer"
    boards for sale on the likes of Komplett.ie.

Besides dumpsters and flea markets, where should I start looking to acquire one?I would really like one of these from home, but the only options seem to be ebay ones with a high shipping fee.
    (don't mind paying if needed, it's just the brother thinks I am nuts offering 50 euro upwards for one:p)

I doubt these things are easy to find here, especially as they haven't been made since the early 1990's, and are not suitable for office environments.
    Should I go with ebay and the relatively high shipping(mind you, these things are 6 pounds in weight).
    Would a Unicomp clone fit the bill?---http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

Lastly, where the hell could I find one in Dublin:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well you've come to the right place good sir. Nobody knows more about ergonomic keyboard design than atheists and agnostics. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Oh no, I've just posted in the wrong place:eek:
    /facepalm...Mods, please kill me:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well you've come to the right place good sir. Nobody knows more about ergonomic keyboard design than atheists and agnostics. :)
    LOL

Indeed where to put this...
    I'll start with Computers: Building & Upgrading

Moved from Atheism & Agnosticism!

Dades wrote: »
    LOL

Indeed where to put this...
    I'll start with Computers: Building & Upgrading

Moved from Atheism & Agnosticism!

Thanks for acting so promptly Dades. Kind of chuffed now though I have to admit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I'd stick up a Wanted ad in adverts.ie, can't hurt.

Plus keep an eye out on freebies on gumtree.ie and dublinwaste.ie, there's always the chance that one is going to be scrap heaped with an old office computer because the CPU gave up the ghost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lol, I threw out about 30 of them a month ago. At least 5 were still in the plastic wrapping.

a5y wrote: »
    I'd stick up a Wanted ad in adverts.ie, can't hurt.

Plus keep an eye out on freebies on gumtree.ie and dublinwaste.ie, there's always the chance that one is going to be scrap heaped with an old office computer because the CPU gave up the ghost.

Good idea:)
    I will try to source one by any method before getting one from the US.
    @Cuddlesworth--That's Shocking. 30 you say:eek:, you could have made a fortune on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Naikon wrote: »
    @Cuddlesworth--That's Shocking. 30 you say:eek:, you could have made a fortune on ebay.

Bollocks. Mental note research all the crap I throw out.

Advertisement