Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhubarb Tart recipes.

• 09-08-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Got some fresh young rhubarb growing out the back.

Just looking for some simple recipes, there's loads on google but trust I will get an epic recipe here.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't know the recipe, but my mother makes a lovely Rhubarb Crumble.

You'll need to stew the Rhubarb with sugar first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Using the juice of an orange instead of water to stew the rhubarb in is really nice too - sorry, I don't have a recipe either.
    I'd just make it like an apple tart, or as Des said, a nice crumble.
    There's a lovely rhubarb crumble recipe on the Odlums website www.odlums.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Thanks people found that rhubarb cumble recipe Dizzyblonde so might give that a go.

Thanks and if anyone has a good recipe still post.

Strawberries taste great with Rhubarb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Not a tart, but I made Gordon Ramsays Souffle pancakes with rhubarb compote recipe last weekend. Delicious and very simple to make.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

If you have a garden, try growing some sweet cecily. It can be used when stewing rhubarb to neutralise it a bit, so that you don't need as much sugar. Totally off topic I know, but I thought it might be a useful tip for any rhubarb tart makers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Rhubarb likes ginger. Crumble likes a little cinnamon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

If making rhubarb tart a tip is to sprinkle the rhubarb with a little flour before putting on the top layer of pastry, this soaks up some of the juices and makes it syrupy. I find that there's no need to stew beofrehand as the rhubarb breaks down easily.

I judge everything by eye so I don't have a clue of quantities, but I make individual rhubarb crumbles with a pastry base. I just use shortcrust pastry, bake blind for 10 minutes, fill with chopped rhubarb and a good sprinkling of sugar, and top with flour and margarine (or butter if you prefer, rub together until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs) and brown sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 200C until the crumble topping turns golden brown and then add some more and return to the oven for another 10-12 minutes.

Advertisement