Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT: Issues since line upgrade

Options
  • 09-08-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

Alright - the fun all started this morning.

Got up, remembered line upgrades were supposed to happen this weekend. Checked speedtest.net and what d'ya know. It's done! So I'm happy, head out to training. Get back around 2. Checked speedtest.net properly... its slow. I wonder what's going on, so I check my router (Voyager 2110) page.. turns out it's showing my line speed as only 5mb down

So I restart the router.. check again, back to 7.6mb, fine. After a few minutes, conx dies.. and since then it's been dying every 5-ish minutes. each time the line speed changes. 7.6mb / 6mb / 5mb.. Most unstable connection ever.

Checked a few pings too. All .IE pings are ~100ms
    anything outside of .IE is higher still. Before the upgrade I had 17ms inside .IE

Anyone else having this bullsh!t?

Also, lol, my conx dropped twice while writing this post.
    Epic f*zking fail, BT.

Any details that might help:
    I'm on the Moate exchange.
    Router: Voyager 2110

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its not BT fault & read the other 2 threads on Eircom upgrades. Your Eircom phone line is unable to keep sync with exchange at higher speeds.
    Whats the router stats for attenuation & noise margin?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Statistics 	Downstream 	Upstream 	
    	Line Rate 	7616 Kbps 	672 Kbps 	
    	Noise Margin 	20.3 dB 	13.0 dB 	
    	Line Attenuation 	15.0 dB 	10.0 dB 	
    	Output Power 	10.6 dBm 	19.7 dBm 	

line rate keeps chaning :|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I am having the same problem Challengemaster, I am getting the full 7.6mb but the line keeps dropping.I am on Netopia 3347nwg and my line stats are good.

Mine is dropping every 20 minutes for between 10 seconds and 1 minute, its making online gaming impossibile and one of my housemates is a WoW player and is going to kill someone.

I have rang bt support a few times, they are saying its eircoms fault, they have botched the upgrades and have been getting calls constantly about this issue.

I think we have a few choices, wait for those useless ***** to fix the line, downgrade to 3mb, or join Eircom again.

If its not fixed by monday I will be downgrading to 3mb, if that doesnt fix it I will have to go back to those shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

It not BT fault, FFS!! Eircom upgraded your exchange this morning and now you are having trouble with your Eircom line. BT are just like UTV in renting the line from Eircom.

Here are my stats.

mssxzutnq607pkw8s4f.jpg

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    It not BT fault, FFS!! Eircom upgraded your exchange this morning and now you are having trouble with your Eircom line. BT are just like UTV in renting the line from Eircom.

Well my line was upgraded 2 weeks ago and BT's support has been helpful as always, " its eircom's fault and the weather "

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Same here on BT
    Worked fine this morning and started playing up 30 mins ago
    4 disconnects since then

DSL Connection DetailsDSL Line (Wire Pair):Line 1 (inner pair)Protocol:G.DMTDownstream Rate:7616 kbps Upstream Rate:672 kbps Channel:InterleavedCurrent Noise Margin:7.0 dB (Downstream), 13.0 db (Upstream)Current Attenuation:34.0 dB (Downstream), 23.0 db (Upstream)Current Output Power:19.9 dB (Downstream), 3.3 db (Upstream)DSLAM Vendor Information:Country: {0x0F} Vendor: {ALCB} Specific: {0x00}PVC Info:8/35

My pings are like UHT milk .... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I can understand the frustration but BT can't really do anything about your Eircom provided line not being capable of the higher speeds.
    Ask to be downgraded and you'll get your old line speed, just cheaper.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Ask to be downgraded and you'll get your old line speed, just cheaper.

Any idea how long the downgrade would take?

It took them a few days to upgrade from 2mb to 3mb before.

Shouldn't take long as it's a software downgrade rather than someone having to do anything physical at the exchange. Call and give it the whole 'highly disappointed with service' spiel and see if they'll give a timeframe.

• Advertisement

There's still ping issues, though.

Actually, I've been talking to people who are now on 3mb, their pings are all fecked too.

What's the point of having 7.6mb when you're pinging >100ms to ireland. That's bloody stupid. Double the line speed, but multiply your ping by 5 times while we're at it.:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Actually, I've been talking to people who are now on 3mb, their pings are all fecked too.

What's the point of having 7.6mb when you're pinging >100ms to ireland. That's bloody stupid. Double the line speed, but multiply your ping by 5 times while we're at it.:mad::(

Thats been well talked about in the big upgrade thread, pings are higher at the moment on the 7.6mbit package.
    As far as your problem goes there is definitely something wrong because those stats are quite good and shouldn't have much trouble with 7.6mbit, certainly not disconnecting that often anyway. Maybe try disconnecting everything and connecting the router to the main socket in the house and see if the disconnections continue. It could be the case of a faulty filter letting intermittent noise through on the line causing your dsl to drop, because the line has less headroom than before the upgrade it might only be showing up now.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Shouldn't take long as it's a software downgrade rather than someone having to do anything physical at the exchange. Call and give it the whole 'highly disappointed with service' spiel and see if they'll give a timeframe.

Hope thats the case I took nearly a week last time.

I have noticed something else as well, when I answer the house phone or ring someone on it, the connection drops the instant I use it.

I find that very weird, anyidea whats with that?

Not being able to use the housephone without internet disconnecting is a 1999 problem.

Nah, it seems like its settled (hopefully) It's been 2hrs since a disconnect.

But disconnecting every 3 minutes was just a PITFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fretless Bass

got bt broadband update but home phone line is dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Got upgraded this morning. Discovered ADSL modem/router wont take new 8mb speed (as its ADSL only) so ESAT said we needed to get a new router/modem. Went out and bought a brand new ADSL 2+ modem/router, set it up and after much faffing about the internet is finally working but beyond slow. Spoke with ESAT and they say that our line is showing as having a "perfect connection" but they reckon our problems are something to do with the upgrade and more or less said they couldnt do anything and they think it will probably sort itself out....fabulous, how helpful. (Have a ping of 675 and our speed is fluctuating all over the place :()

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

after todays upgrade you were still on adsl. you would only need an adsl2+ modem if you are on one of bt's llu exchanges

I'm now on 3mb with BT, upgraded last night and the speedtest ping is 39ms, to boards.ie is 13ms. I'm not a gamer so I don't monitor pings much but those seem ok to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Hmmm...not sure about that - spoke to two different guys from ESAT today. One when our ADSL modem had no connection at all this morning and the other when we got the new modem (on their recommendation) and then had a bad connection. Both said we needed the new modem and the entire past week we have had a bad connection on the old one so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

go to paclico its bitter than eircon for sure and do any one still have eircon

• Advertisement

xbox36016 wrote: »

oo....kay?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 buminballymun

I have a Zyxel P-600 does anyone know if its ADSL or ADSL2+ modem ?
    I think it might be Just ADSL as it is old and I have not received an upgrade today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Hope thats the case I took nearly a week last time.

I have noticed something else as well, when I answer the house phone or ring someone on it, the connection drops the instant I use it.

I find that very weird, anyidea whats with that?

Not being able to use the housephone without internet disconnecting is a 1999 problem.

Thats definitely a case of a faulty filter.

xbox36016 wrote: »

Emm, I'd assume you mean Perlico? I'm with them... there's no way they're better than Eircom, maybe in price but that's it.

36ms ping on a 1 megabit package:
    Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 36ms

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 50ms

Are you on the 7.6? I know the other packages are normally 10-15 on Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

My line was upgraded today

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512

SN Margin (dB) 10.00 15.00

Line Attenuation (dB) 30.50 13.50

CRC Errors 8 1

307086011.png

The line is constantly fluctuating speeds ping however is pretty stable at 44ms.

While my line is fine for pretty much anything.... I want what was promised not a half assed 8mb line along with a lame excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I have a Zyxel P-600 does anyone know if its ADSL or ADSL2+ modem ?
    I think it might be Just ADSL as it is old and I have not received an upgrade today :(

My router is only ADSL compatible (not ADSL2+ etc) and the upgrade has still happened but it is slightly erratic.

Karsini wrote: »
    Are you on the 7.6? I know the other packages are normally 10-15 on Eircom.

yup. upgraded today. I'm pretty pissed off too as I'm a gamer, and I HAD 17ms ping inside IE before the upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 buminballymun

Jakkass wrote: »
    My router is only ADSL compatible (not ADSL2+ etc) and the upgrade has still happened but it is slightly erratic.

Thanks save me going over to a mates and borrowing his modem. I reckon
    its a line problem I have got a terrible attenuation and noise margin might give BT a call on Monday they probably cant do anything anyway but its worth a try.

Advertisement